Help Identify button with white glass top

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this button and could use some help identifying it. It has what seems to be a white glass front on it. Definitely not plastic. The back is heavily corroded and I haven't tried cleaning it with anything other than a toothpick yet. Here is some history on the site it was found on. Lot's of very old bricks, a map from the 1820's identified this to be a home site- thats what drew me to this particular location. The same area had confederate and union soldiers on it at certain times. Any help would be appreciated. And any suggestions on how to clean it up a bit would also be helpful. Thanks IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1273.JPG IMG_1275.JPG

OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at the cleaned photos, we can rule out Mother of Pearl. As stated earlier, it's really hard to tell 'what' type of glass it is, but I'm going with milk glass. Actually, the kind of glass is not that important. What is important is the fact it is an antique hand carved glass button.

I don't give advice on what people should do with their finds, but if it were mine, I'd be awfully tempted to remove the 'shot' rusted back area leaving the brass ring and face. That way, you could see if it were signed/maker's mark, plus you've removed the rot.

Please don't do this unless your feelings are the same, and unless the back is beyond all reasonable repair. If the back is left untreated, the rust will continue to corrode and eventually the back will fall off.

Thanks for posting the new pics.
:)
Breezie

The back is very rusted, I have tried some cleaning with just a toothpick however it is very hard. How would you suggest it be cleaned? I would like to try to clean it without destroying the back if possible. And if it is going to continue to rust until it disintegrates I don't have a lot to lose by trying...
I would agree that it looks hand carved due to the imperfections on the edges. The amount of patients and skill to carve something that small and intricate is amazing!
Thanks Breezie!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey myrtlebeach,

Nice job on the cleaning. This is a very fascinating piece. I've been learning lots of non-germane stuff trying to find the origins of your button.

Tell me, please, how many square nodules comprise the outer circle? That is assuming that they are, indeed, square nodules...

pentangle.jpg

Here's a "black glass" button, with far less symbology:

$T2eC16N,!w0E9szN(m79BRiByZTh1w~~60_57.JPG
Antique Black Glass Button w Dusty Blue Luster 7 8" Fancy Center Pentagon 1906 | eBay

The are not actually square nodules, they are more like an iron cross at the ends. There are 5 of the crosses at the edges of the button.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The thread is normal again now after I posted. Weird.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
pic wont post and the thread is messed up again too large. Edit rarely works.
It very frustrating for me to try and help most of the time but I cant chamge from IE because of my files..

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it have anything to do with masonic or knights of colombus ? they both used pentagons and crosses in symbols .

I don't really know. It is something I will expand my search to see if I come up with anything though. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the backsides. Does this match yours myrtlebeach? Milk Glass: Female Portrait in Profile set in Brass 7/8" - The Buttonmonger Antique & Vintage Buttons
Milk Glass: Female Portrait in Profile set in Brass (v2) 7/8" - The Buttonmonger Antique & Vintage Buttons

This thread is messed up from an oversized picture I guess. I have to keep scrolling to read anything.

The back of the of the button in the link you left doesn't look like it has a loop. The one I found does.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone. This is a great site!

How often is it someone gets stumped with a find?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Does the back of your button look like the pics I tried to post from Hut's link?

Ill try again. I dont know why Im having so much trouble posting images today. Can anyone see these images?
View attachment 799554
View attachment 799549
Even though it resembles Chrysler logo, Maltese crosses, Masonic pentagon etc, I think its just a fashion design.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How often is it someone gets stumped with a find?
It happens quite often but I dont think we are stumped at all. IMO its a milk glass civilian fashion button with millions of different designs and its near impossible (and not really necessary) to find an exact match.

I see you posted in reply to my question above. I was still struggling to try and post an image.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the back of your button look like the pics I tried to post from Hut's link?

Ill try again. I dont know why Im having so much trouble posting images today. Can anyone see these images?
View attachment 799554
View attachment 799549
Even though it resembles Chrysler logo, Maltese crosses, Masonic pentagon etc, I think its just a fashion design.

No I can't see your pics...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

myrtlebeach

Jan 13, 2013
Lynchburg, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens quite often but I dont think we are stumped at all. IMO its a milk glass civilian fashion button with millions of different designs and its near impossible (and not really necessary) to find an exact match.

I see you posted in reply to my question above. I was still struggling to try and post an image.

I have thought about trying to clean the back off more but if there is any substantial value to the button I don't want to damage it.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Breezie maybe can give you a dollar value. I doubt its substantial.

Here are some fashion designs on the Waterbury site listed under fashion > shapes to pour over if you want to try and find it.
You could also search designs, pentagon, cross, etc
Shapes - Waterbury Button

IMO its not Masonic, Maltese or Chrysler but just a cool generic fashion design but I could be wrong..

This thread is just not working for me its all screwed up on my monitor but all the others are fine.
It always was slow for me on IE but for some reason it really messes up when surf posts a large image lol but the software should adjust for it. Very strange. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bigcypress,

When I saw you mention "large image" I figured that musta been me, and I took it down. I have seen other members commenting today about having difficulty posting images.

This may be a "fashion" button, but it sure has some interesting symbols that harken back to the time of the Rosicrucians and the Templars.

~~~~~~~~~

Myrtlebeach, with the cracks in the milk glass and the crusty backing, I don't think you're gonna have to make room in the safety deposit box for it. That's why I posted that black glass pentagon button for you to watch. What "nodules" make up the outer circle in the milk glass? You said "grooves," but I am seeing an outer ring of nodules, teeth, or something... Are there 25 of them?

The 5 theme seems to repeat. The symbols of the pentagon, Maltese crosses, 5 crosses, all resonate with the Masons, and various early Christian organizations. That is the area that I have been researching, thus far to no avail.

A very compelling mystery, to my eyes.

4630261081_94456c1d59_z.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The thread is better now but the next time its not. I dont know why it only messes up for me. The site should be able to take large pictures.

$2.99 buy it now price on the pentagon button and no takers should give you an idea of value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread