help me pick the right tools

wedjlok

Nov 3, 2007
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350, ACE 250, Whites Bullseye 140mm
I carry a jackhammer with me so that I can break up the sidewalks and look underneath them for those old coins!

Aeryck

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
wedjlok said:
I carry a jackhammer with me so that I can break up the sidewalks and look underneath them for those old coins!

Aeryck
wow great idea

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i carry a camping shovel- good for tearing up any type of ground from sand to clay
small sharp shovel to get between roots and into the walls of the hole
pinpionter

HH
-GC

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
I,m not one of the seasoned hunters here,but this question is easy.I carry two impliments.I have a 3 ft shovel with a 4 inch wide blade,very very stiff.And I have a trowel actually called a planters buddy available at lowes for about 14.00 and 5 bucks for the sheath.Aint too much that stiff shovel cant chop or dig.most of my finds are 4 inches or less,so I have a relly cool way of digging.If this is a place that perfection doesnt matter,here is what I do.I am right handed,but swing with my left.In my right is the shovel ( upside down when hunting ) When a target is located I flip the shovel over and cut a plug out.Then use my foot to help push the shovel along to overturn the plug( MD stll in left hand)then I,ll swing over the plug to see if its there or in the hole.If its in the plug I,ll slowly scrape at it with the shovel,pulling the dirt back into the hole.Once target is found just flip the plug back over,step on it,and done.If its in the hole I,ll dig a bit more first.Quick and easy.However if its a place you want to leave as nice as possible then you have to dig and backfill a bit more carefully :)

wedjlok

Nov 3, 2007
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350, ACE 250, Whites Bullseye 140mm
IndianaSmith said:
C4.......but it makes fillin' your holes alittle difficult, bring extra dirt.

Smitty
That's a great idea. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I'd steal my dad's black powder that he had for his muzzleloader; I'd take the gunpowder out to the field and wrap a pile in a paper towel and the bury most of the towel and light it. It made a great white mushroom cloud and a nifty crater. He always kept the C4 buried in the backyard, though (I still haven't found the cache). :)

Aeryck

R

robert roy

What kind of tools?

I guess that depends where you are going to be hunting.

I have been hunting in parks and soccer fields mostly; I don't need a shovel for that.
I carry a small garden trowel that anyone can buy at your local hardware store that is
made from a special 21st century nylon like material. Its all one piece and virtually
impossible to break! It has inches marked off on it so you'll know how far you have dug.
You may be able to get it at Ace hardware on ANY hardware store. Probably not at WalMart, however.
Its about $3.00. I also use a weeder about $3.00 to $4.00 as a prying tool. I also Use a 6inch thick stainless steel steak knife for cutting plugs. Works real well in parks and other soft ground. NOT recommeneded for hard ground. You need a thick and often expensive metal detector digging knife for that.

Attachments

• pACE-964797reg.jpg
    pACE-964797reg.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 487180.jpg
    487180.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 88

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread