Hi From San Diego, CA

arehm

Mar 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, Andy here residing in San Diego, CA just dropping by to introduce. I'm a newbie at metal detectoring and after doing a lot of research I decided to go with Garrett. I finally bought a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger on ebay used for $315 came with a 5x8 Crossfire search coil. I watched a few videos on YouTube about how to bench test and ground balance the machine. The bench testing went well and the machine seems to work fine. I dug and placed 4 coins in the back yard 3-6" inches deep. The ground test did not fair too well in Motion Disc Mode and could only detect about 3-4" down, all metal mode detects deeper down deep to 6-8". Anyone know about the 12.5" coil that is available for the Scorpion Gold Stinger? Thanks

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
arehm

4342564 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 4342564 (2).jpg
    4342564 (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 144

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Andy
And welcome to TreasureNet i think you will just love it here.
As for the Garrett i used to sell them in the 90s so i do use one some times but mine is maybe 1997 so older teck.
So i`d go the the Garrett Forum and ask about the depth of that Gold stinger.But to have the detector (Ground Balanced) is very important and the soil at your local area.
Some times just digging a hole and puttin in some coins and testing it dosen`t work at first ,But do burry some coins Q D N penny and make then with Red Golf TEES Plastic tees
Dig holes mark the depth on each target different 3" 4" 6" and so on and also make the test garden large And put in Rusty square nails ,pull tabs Round and square tabs,lead bullett,nut,bolt, what ever you want but make a map.
Learn the sounds of the targets,use a good pair of headphones,wind and just common sounds will dround out the little sounds you must hear.
I don`t know about your soil in CA. im in N.Y. but some one around can help you at a lot of Forums here but go to the Garrett Forum and ask.
I use a Garrett Master hunter II and i can get coins in the ground at 6 " it hit all the stuff i have burryed @ 6" in my 22 year Coin Garden.
But it seems to me you should be gettin better depth than you are,there is no gold here in N.Y. that you can find with a detector so i never used one.
Hope you find the good stuff
Gary G.A.P.metal

OP
OP
arehm

arehm

Mar 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks G.P.A for the advice. Well, I guess my inexperience got the better of me. I took the scorpion out on the beach and have been picking up coins as far down as 6-8" using the motion discrimination mode and have found a lot of trash as far as 12" down, so I really think the detector works very good and not necessary to buy a 12.5" coil. It will just take me a lot of practice to get to know the machine and so forth. I'll be taking it out to the park soon to learn how to ground balance it. Also just bought a used Treasure Ace 300, took it to the beach and found a bunch of quarters, pennies and a dime. I'm finding that this hobby can get real addicting lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread