History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben Franklin did not invent the pot belly stove...........I read from a number of sources "not wiki" related and they do not claim that he did.

After some research (once again not on sites where an average joe can post an answer)........Franklin invented a stove in 1742
It is nowhere close to the pot belly stoves that became so popular and the ones we recognize today.

A number of people could be credited with this invention none of which would be Ben Franklin.........the very earliest would be Rittenhouse in 1784.I can not find a picture of his stove.Here is a link from popular mechanics of a franklin stove.......it even mentions Rittenhouse.The popular mechanics link you provided does not say anywhere that Franklin invented the pot belly stove.It is possible all Rittenhouse did was make a change to the venting system and h should not be credited either.

Franklin Stove - Popular Mechanics

Do you know what a Franklin stove looks like?.......my grandparents had one and it is nothing close to a pot belly stove.
We might as well credit Franklin for inventing the keystoker also since it is the same basic principle as his stove from 1742.

I think the problem is you don't know the difference in the 2 stoves>
If they dug up a pot bellied stove your theory has some very serious flaws....and by arguing that the franklin stove and pot belly are the same isn't going to win anyone over to your beliefs......especially when you have been given a numbers that clearly show you are wrong.

Here is a link that lays it all out very simply .......the Franklin stove was basically a fireplace that sat in the middle of the room....we need the guy that put the door on this thing,elevated the fire box and changed the shape.......then we have the guy who invented the pot belly stove.

The Franklin Stove Heats up the World - Invent.Answers.com

**** take special note that only a handful of the stoves were sold over the next 20 years.....until the changes made Rittenhouse and Thompson which made the Franklin stove a common household item.

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a copy and paste from one of the links you provided that proves Franklin invented the pot belly stove........you linked to this as proof....seriously?

Rumor Has It …

Rumor has it that along with inventing the Franklin pot belly stove, Benjamin Franklin also invented the pot belly pig as well. With a combination of genetic engineering and mechanical engineering, Franklin developed a pig that could eat its own weight in bacon just for the sheer joy of inventing a cannibalistic vertebrate.

Another rumor has it that Ben Franklin, not be silenced, this do-gooder used to help little old ladies across the street and then host them for tea and crumpets. In a totally unreliable and conflicting account, it is dubiously documented that Franklin would help little old ladies across the street, but then kick them into the mud and run like a little schoolgirl screaming "You're it! You're it!"

Last edited:

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this copy and paste is again from one of the links you provided......do you read these before linking?
Yikes.......how does 1860 work with your theory??

"Potbelly Stove

The cast-iron potbelly stove is easily recognizable by a huge bulge in its midsection that resembles, well, a potbelly. It first appeared around the 1860s and quickly became associated with train stations, cabooses, and hunting lodges throughout North America. "

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben Franklin did not invent the pot belly stove...........I read from a number of sources "not wiki" related and they do not claim that he did.

After some research (once again not on sites where an average joe can post an answer)........Franklin invented a stove in 1742
It is nowhere close to the pot belly stoves that became so popular and the ones we recognize today.

A number of people could be credited with this invention none of which would be Ben Franklin.........the very earliest would be Rittenhouse in 1784.I can not find a picture of his stove.Here is a link from popular mechanics of a franklin stove.......it even mentions Rittenhouse.The popular mechanics link you provided does not say anywhere that Franklin invented the pot belly stove.It is possible all Rittenhouse did was make a change to the venting system and h should not be credited either.

Franklin Stove - Popular Mechanics

Do you know what a Franklin stove looks like?.......my grandparents had one and it is nothing close to a pot belly stove.
We might as well credit Franklin for inventing the keystoker also since it is the same basic principle as his stove from 1742.

I think the problem is you don't know the difference in the 2 stoves>
If they dug up a pot bellied stove your theory has some very serious flaws....and by arguing that the franklin stove and pot belly are the same isn't going to win anyone over to your beliefs......especially when you have been given a numbers that clearly show you are wrong.

Here is a link that lays it all out very simply .......the Franklin stove was basically a fireplace that sat in the middle of the room....we need the guy that put the door on this thing,elevated the fire box and changed the shape.......then we have the guy who invented the pot belly stove.

The Franklin Stove Heats up the World - Invent.Answers.com

**** take special note that only a handful of the stoves were sold over the next 20 years.....until the changes made Rittenhouse and Thompson which made the Franklin stove a common household item.

Rittenhouse was a follower of Ben Franklin and based his stove on Ben's
His Stove also did not look like what a Potbelly Stove evolved into.
His description states that.
Ben Franklin's Stove could be compared to the invention of the automobile with people calling the auto a Chevy or saying that Chevrolet invented the automobile.

I believe the mistake lies with the discovers on Oak island improperly relating to this stove as a Potbellied style and not the Franklin Stove style it was.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
If you read William Crooker's book Oak Island Gold you'll find an account from a man named John O'Keefe about the discovery of a pot belly stove under the right boulder on Oak Island.
“There is an interesting quote taken from "Oak Island Gold, page 178", where it mentions how several boulders were moved, before it was understood that they were part of the large megalithic "Christian Cross":
"There's a big rock up there in the field, a great big boulder. We took the bulldozer and the backhoe, rolled it over and out of the way and there underneath were pieces of an old wrought iron potbellied stove... How it ever got down there is beyond me... Fred was really surprised and we kept digging and digging and found other pieces of stuff there, too, like knives and forks. I don't know how a big rock ever got on top of all that. Why would someone go to all the trouble of digging a hole, burying all that stuff and then rolling a big rock like that over it? It just doesn't make any sense."
They did not have large cranes 4 to 500 years ago to place a large 10-ton boulder on top of these items!”

For the sake of argument, why would someone bury a stove and "other pieces of stuff there, too, like knives and forks" to mark a boulder that's part of another marker pointing to a treasure? What possible purpose would a stove, knives and forks serve?

Just google “who Invented the Potbelly Stove” and you receive several replies all stating “Benjamin Franklin”

And you will find many other replies (and actual articles with citations, and books) stating that he did not. Those folks stating that he did might be confusing the Franklin stove with the pot belly stove. As I recall, there was a bit of just this sort of confusion earlier in this thread.

In 1742 Ben invented a new stove with dampeners which prevented the heat from escaping up the chimney.
It was stated that Ben never patented any of his inventions as he wished the use of these for the common person

Correct. This is commonly known today as the Franklin stove. It neither looks nor operates like a pot belly stove. Seriously, one would not be confused with the other at even a glance from someone who knew nothing about stoves. Were you to open one up, you would see that they operate under completely different principles.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the folks who dug it up could not tell the difference between a metal box and a bulbous cylinder?

Franklin stove:

250px-Franklin_stove.jpg

Pot belly stove:

PotbellyStove.jpg

Both stoves were designed to accomplish the same task superficially (to heat a building more efficiently than a common fireplace), but they went about it in completely different ways. The Franklin stove replaced the fireplace, while the pot belly stove made the fireplace completely unnecessary in the first place. The Franklin stove was also designed to be cooked on - thus the rectangular shape and wide, flat top.

Also, who found it? When was it found? Where is it now?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again, I have listed numerous links which quote Ben Franklin as the inventor of the Potbelly Stove but you have not one quoting someone as this inventor.
Show us your link and quote!

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
What this particular argument needs is not anymore links on Benjamin Franklin and his stove but a photograph of the Oak Island stove and its whereabouts today. If you can't do that, I think you should stop digging yourself into ever deeper holes.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What this particular argument needs is not anymore links on Benjamin Franklin and his stove but a photograph of the Oak Island stove and its whereabouts today. If you can't do that, I think you should stop digging yourself into ever deeper holes.

The mystery of Oak Island is not to find one wrought iron potbelly stove!
I believe Fred Nolan has these pieces and may one day photograph and display his findings.

As for those and others in the "Show me State" of Missouri “I will believe it when I see it” and “Seeing is believing” they will just have to wait for it.

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I have listed numerous links which quote Ben Franklin as the inventor of the Potbelly Stove but you have not one quoting someone as this inventor.
Show us your link and quote!

one of your links states the pot belly stove first appeared in 1860.........another states he also pushed old ladies in the mud.

another is a picture of a pot belly but titled franklin stove.

the other one was wiki answers ......and if I wanted I could change the answer to who I think invented it.
All you have done is help prove Franklin didn't invent it.

At this point you want to keep the dug up stove part of the story........but not the stove itself because if it is a pot belly it blows your theory clear out of the water.
Very few old timers from climates that have a winter will not know what a pot belly stove looks like........most will have had one or the other as a primary heat source at some time.

It is ok to change your theory to fit new information or evidence.....but if you try and change the information to fit your theory you end up looking foolish.
Which is exactly what is starting to happen here.

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
one of your links states the pot belly stove first appeared in 1860.........another states he also pushed old ladies in the mud.

another is a picture of a pot belly but titled franklin stove.

the other one was wiki answers ......and if I wanted I could change the answer to who I think invented it.
All you have done is help prove Franklin didn't invent it.

At this point you want to keep the dug up stove part of the story........but not the stove itself because if it is a pot belly it blows your theory clear out of the water.
Very few old timers from climates that have a winter will not know what a pot belly stove looks like........most will have had one or the other as a primary heat source at some time.

It is ok to change your theory to fit new information or evidence.....but if you try and change the information to fit your theory you end up looking foolish.
Which is exactly what is starting to happen here.

Your logic does not make sense!

Over and Over I have asked you to supply a single quote as to who you think invented the "Potbelly Stove"

Still nothing only disclaimers to my very reputable sites all stating that "Ben Franklin" invented the "Potbelly Stove"
We can not be more clearer than that.

My theory is not based or dependent on this single stove story.
It spans a time frame from 1762 to 1795.
I am very sure that a wrought iron stove could be included within this time frame.

You are very confused when it comes to the difference between "Inventor", "Designer" and "Manufacturer".

It would be like stating that Henry Ford invented the auto because of his design of the Model A or Chrysler invented it because they manufacture the Dodge Mini Van.

Do your homework and show me who you claim invented it.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
This is the link that you're referring to? This (and Wikianswers, which can literally be answered by anyone) is your proof?

Rumor has it that along with inventing the Franklin pot belly stove, Benjamin Franklin also invented the pot belly pig as well. With a combination of genetic engineering and mechanical engineering, Franklin developed a pig that could eat its own weight in bacon just for the sheer joy of inventing a cannibalistic vertebrate.

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stated I don't know who invented the pot belly stove............but I provided many links that show Franklin invented a stove in 1742 that was not a pot belly

This stove did not work very well........Rittenhouse improved the venting system many years later and then it worked better and started selling.He actually tried to have the name changed to the Rittenhouse Stove.
Later Thompson added a damper and improved the Franklin stove even more.

I do not know why Franklin himself didn't do the work to improve the stove.....he was certainly smart enough to figure it out but for some reason just walked away from this project.

Your logic that because I can't prove who invented the Pot Belly that it must be Franklin.........is insane

Almost as insane as thinking someone buried a stove(that only a handful of people had ever bought)in 1750 under a big rock to help mark a buried treasure.

At this point I am starting to think you are only trying to drum up interest in oak island because your continued arguments in the face of overwhelming evidence that you are wrong is getting silly..

I found an old kite string laying in the woods yesterday.......it was laying there almost in the shape of an arrow.
Holy Smokes........ I even have a rough idea of where my grandfather threw out that old Franklin stove and this kite string was kinda pointing towards that.......this is all starting to come together now.

Ben Franklin worked with kite string and invented that stove.........so the only logical explanation is there is Freemason treasure buried nearby.

*how do I get ahold of the history channel to get this dig I am about to do on tv?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the link that you're referring to? This (and Wikianswers, which can literally be answered by anyone) is your proof?

[/FONT][/COLOR]

About 183,000 results (0.50 seconds)
This shows 183,000 results in favor of Ben Franklin as inventor of the potbelly stove to what your “0” results.

Even the quote above you misinterpreted:
“that along with inventing the Franklin pot belly stove,”…
“Rumour has it Benjamin Franklin also invented the pot belly pig as well.”

Yes, your country’s founding father may have been eccentric and flying a kite in a lightning storm was not the brightest thing by today’s standards, but he was a genius in his day and he did invent the “Potbelly Stove”

Search Results
1. Ben Franklin Potbellied Stove - Pretty obvious invention. Why not ...
boards.straightdope.com › ... › Main › General Questions
o
o
o
2. Benjamin Franklin - Founding Father Figure - SCIOGRAPHY
Benjamin Franklin - Founding Father Figure
o
o
o
Rumor has it that along with inventing the Franklin pot belly stove, Benjamin Franklin also invented the pot belly pig as well. With a combination of genetic ...
You've visited this page 2 times. Last visit: 23/05/14
3. Who invented the potbelly stove - Wiki Answers
wiki.answers.com › Wiki Answers › Categories › Technology › Inventions
o
o
o
When did T A carrington invent the stove? JULY 25,1876. When was the electric stove invented? The Electric Stove was invented in 1896 by a certain Groff ...
4. Potbelly stove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potbelly_stove
o
o
o
A potbelly stove is a cast-iron wood-burning stove, round with a bulge in the middle. The name is derived from the resemblance of the stove to that of a fat man's ...
5. Pot Belly Stove History | eHow
eHow | How to - Discover the expert in you! › Hobbies, Games & Toys
o
o
o
The hey-day of the pot belly stove was in the 1800s, when they were a popular appliance that ... In 1742, Benjamin Franklin invented the cast iron potbelly stove.
6. History of Potbellied Stoves | eHow
eHow | How to - Discover the expert in you! › Home & Garden
o
o
by Kimberly Sharpe - in 29 Google+ circles
History of Potbellied Stoves. In 1742, Benjamin Franklin invented the cast iron potbelly stove. The stove had the capability of providing adequate heat to a large ...
7. Potbelly stove | Define Potbelly stove at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/potbelly+stove
o
o
o
Potbelly stove definition, a usually cast-iron wood- or coal-burning stove having a large, ... Use Potbelly stove in a sentence ... Who Invented The Potbelly Stove?
8. Potbelly-stove | Define Potbelly-stove at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/potbelly-stove
o
o
Potbelly-stove definition, a usually cast-iron wood- or coal-burning stove having a large, rounded chamber. See more. ... Who Invented The Potbelly Stove?
9. Learn All About Antique Pot Belly Stoves - Good Time Stove ...
goodtimestove.blogspot.com/2008/.../learn-all-about-antique-pot-belly.h...
o
o
o
Jul 8, 2008 - Stoveblack Richardson and a classic potbelly stove. Hmmm. ... All of ourpotbelly stoves are antique, vintage, functional pieces of art. Antique ...
10. Antique Potbelly Stoves? - Ask.com
Ask.com - What's Your Question? › Q&A › Industries › Construction and Maintenance
o
o
o
Potbelly stoves are a very old fashioned type of stove which were often made of ... The stoves were used to heat areas of the. ... Who invented the potbelly stove?
Next

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
I didn't misinterpret it. I merely copied and pasted it.

This is either genius-level trolling or sheer insanity. Regardless of what it is, I'm not sure that I can meaningfully advance the discussion at this point. The floor is yours.

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Can we just all agree that Oak Island must be a portal to another dimension planted their by aliens 300 years ago? Aliens who liked both pot-bellied AND Franklin stoves?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Who can argue when it comes to hugging aliens?

Can we just all agree that Oak Island must be a portal to another dimension planted their by aliens 300 years ago? Aliens who liked both pot-bellied AND Franklin stoves?

Kirk Hugs.jpg

The "Boss" says - Why dwell with the past when you have already found the location of the "Treasure Vault" on Oak Island?

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
So many websites on stove and you still can't post a single picture of the one you were discussing?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
How to get someone to dig a 20 foot hole to find the treasure vault?

CCF06052014_0000.jpg CCF15042014_0002.jpg CCF16042014_0002.jpg

It is beyond coincidence how the Celestial Map from Stellarium's 1762 star map shows all the markers left on Oak Island along with my calculation of where the Treasure Vault is located.
What I need is to convince the appropriate consortium to dig the necessary 20 foot hole and prove my theory once and for all!
Any suggestions how this could be accomplished?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread