Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Why divide up such a big treasure? Just get a back hoe and your family to help. I think most of us here are skeptics, so we wouldnt be interested in using our last millions to dig such a hole.

My theory is based on the Treasure Vault being empty.
The solving of this mystery would be more historical.
The legalities involved of one digging a hole could be complicated.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well folks, as I have kept reading and digging, I'm beginning to lean towards the Portuguese in all of this. The date of those coconut fibres could be off as much as three centuries due to the fact that they were submerged in salt water. This could put the date into the 1500s. The demarcation point for the New World that divided things up between the Spanish and the Portuguese went clear through Nova Scotia. Here are a few links that some folks might find interesting:

Portuguese Discoveries in North America

General History of Mahone Bay to 1753

Popular Science Monthly/Volume 27/May 1885/Lost Colonies of Northmen and Portuguese - Wikisource, the free online library

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the Homan Map of 1554, where you will clearly see the demarcation line. That map can be found online. That the Portuguese were here is fact and the historical records found in the Azores support that fact. Even Champlain referenced them in his journal. I really think that folks may want to start digging into the Portuguese angle here.

uzzard

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1003211 View attachment 1003212 View attachment 1003213

It is beyond coincidence how the Celestial Map from Stellarium's 1762 star map shows all the markers left on Oak Island along with my calculation of where the Treasure Vault is located.
What I need is to convince the appropriate consortium to dig the necessary 20 foot hole and prove my theory once and for all!
Any suggestions how this could be accomplished?

I suggest you put your whole theory on WikiAnswers .......then send them a link

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" The stone measures approximately 10 inces wide and appears to have ben fashioned by human hand in places." Their description (and spelling errors), not mine.

I certainly hope that there's more than just that. That statement tells us nothing - not who verified it, not how it was made, and not where the tool marks (and what type of marks they are) appear. All of these things are extremely important.

This is yet another one of those "We think..." "It appears..." "It seems that..." pieces of non-evidence that certain people are wishing very hard to be otherwise. A better picture and/or a professional opinion would help, but you'll find little of either on the website that you linked to. There may or may not be a reason for this, but in the meantime I'll begin paying more attention to such "evidence" after they've had a few geologists and/or anthropologists look at it and taken a few closeup pictures of the worked parts in question with something slightly better than a ten-year-old cell phone.

Seriously, though...how can this be considered evidence after even the most casual scrutiny?
spoken like a true skeptic! Only the finding of treasure is the proof! You just lack the imagination to find any!

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
spoken like a true skeptic! Only the finding of treasure is the proof! You just lack the imagination to find any!
And if people like you keep running down rabbit holes, you'll leave all the treasure for the rest of us who are actually checking facts. So keep using your "imagination" while the rest of us go for the real deal.

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have time to run through 46 pages of discussion, so the next few questions I have may have already been looked over. Any help would be appreciated!

The more I watch the show, the more questions I have:

1. Digging a 200 foot hole in a small island in the ocean would surely cause them to hit water. What evidence is there of a man-made water tunnel? Just that the water in the hole 'seems' to rise and fall with the tide?

2. They keep mentioning the 5 inlets from the bay that are covered with coconut fibres allowing water to fill the money pit. Who came up with that theory? I haven't seen any evidence of the 5 inlets and in the show they haven't dug for them, yet.

3. The narrator keeps talking about how the rich brother doesn't want to spend millions of dollars on the project until they have some form of evidence. But, it also states that they purchased most of the island... Have they not already sunk millions into it then? I guess it's just TV drama but it is interesting that they act so sceptical about the legend but BUY the island anyway.

I have a few more but they are interesting to me at this point. Any help would be great.

Wilkes

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may rise and fall with the tide now, but when it was dug, water began rushing in and filled up...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if people like you keep running down rabbit holes, you'll leave all the treasure for the rest of us who are actually checking facts. So keep using your "imagination" while the rest of us go for the real deal.
many myths turn out to be fact ...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have time to run through 46 pages of discussion, so the next few questions I have may have already been looked over. Any help would be appreciated!

1. Digging a 200 foot hole in a small island in the ocean would surely cause them to hit water. What evidence is there of a man-made water tunnel? Just that the water in the hole 'seems' to rise and fall with the tide?

2. They keep mentioning the 5 inlets from the bay that are covered with coconut fibres allowing water to fill the money pit. Who came up with that theory? I haven't seen any evidence of the 5 inlets and in the show they haven't dug for them, yet.

3. The narrator keeps talking about how the rich brother doesn't want to spend millions of dollars on the project until they have some form of evidence. But, it also states that they purchased most of the island... Have they not already sunk millions into it then? I guess it's just TV drama but it is interesting that they act so sceptical about the legend but BUY the island anyway.

I have a few more but they are interesting to me at this point. Any help would be great.

Wilkes

There has been over 40 tunnels, shafts, drilled holes, some horizontal shafts, all in the vicinity of the original Money Pit Shaft.
Today they are not even sure which hole is the original shaft.

My map can locate where the original shaft once existed.

One of the best engineering reports written is by John Whitney Lewis with his notes of 1957.

http:
www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/archive/lewis.pdf

It corroborates with others that the Money Pit's depth was 171 feet.
Numerous drilled holes showed that the bedrock was located around the 230 foot level.

My theory is that Cornish Miners dug the pit down to bedrock and then built their spiral tunnel to the Treasure Vault at the 105 foot level
This was a spiral circular tunnel 3 feet 10 inches wide by 6 feet 4 inches high. It conforms with Cornish Tin Miner's specs whom I believe dug these tunnels.
They would pull the treasure on wooden sleds (one was found on Oak Island) behind them in a spiral low incline formation up to the Treasure Vault.

The stone inscription stated what one would find "2 million pounds 40 feet below in this shaft".
When it was translated as 2 million pounds what it really meant was 2 million pounds of metal
The Freemasons needed a location to dispose of all the metal canons, ballast, and parts from the scuttled Spanish Galleons, their buried patriots, and other evidence.

One must look North West of the Money Pit to find the final location of this spiral tunnel's destination!

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

To be fair, I'd be happy with even one or two pieces of solid, documented evidence that can be directly observed today. Not something that some guy heard, not a "fact" that "everyone knows," and not a telltale artifact that no one can locate today, but an actual, tangible piece of evidence that cannot be reasonably questioned. I do not need the treasure as proof, but I would like to see some proof of a treasure. The further that I dug into this pile of manure, the more I found that the "fact" that "everyone knows" was simply a corrupted repackaging of an earlier horse apple, and that every piece of physical evidence that existing theories hinge upon can't be located today, has no hard documentation, and generally appeared when a recovery operation was about to go bankrupt and investors were being solicited. If there is no physical evidence of something (it can't be found, no photograph, we don't have a chain of custody, etc.), then for all intents and purposes it doesn't exist. It's a story. There are a lot of stories associated with this legend, and I don't believe that I've ever seen so many people take stories as factual without any tangible proof outside of a church before. I'll give God the benefit of the doubt but this...this boggles my mind.

What I lack in imagination, I make up for in logic. This makes me unpopular with some people. Sucks to be them, I suppose. :dontknow: As I've said in the past, a person with a strong theory based on strong evidence has nothing to fear from a skeptic. A person with a crap theory based on crap evidence has much to fear from a skeptic. I'd go further to say that the theorist with facts to back up their talk looks forward to someone saying, "Prove it," as that's exactly what they want to do. The theorist without the facts, or the wrong facts, or the facts that aren't really facts does not welcome this sort of discussion and often becomes offended. If this request offends someone...well, why? Why would someone who wanted to prove something ever be bothered by someone asking them to do just that?

Also, a side note...how does a lack of imagination prevent someone from finding treasure? Most stories about found treasure that I'm familiar with involved chance/luck, laborious and thorough research, or both. I'm not familiar with anyone ever finding a treasure simply because they wished it to be there. I won't presume to speak for every treasure hunter (professional or otherwise) in the world, but I feel safe in stating that if the story has a high percentage of being real and the research confirms it, they not only have a good idea of where to look, but also what they're going to find when they get there.

If something is or was buried in the Money Pit, what is/was it? Think about this question and how it applies to what I just typed.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

Wilkes

1. Probably, none, and probably. The rise and fall (and brackishness, as it's not actually seawater down there) of the water has been adequately explained by geologists.

2. I'm not sure when that was first theorized; I may have come across it at some point but there's far too much here to commit to memory, and I'm not sure how important it is anyway. There has been no real evidence to date that they exist and others have claimed to have looked for them. The number of channels postulated that I'm familiar with was only three. But five? Why not?

3. I suspect that it's more of a hobby for them than anything else. Yes, they spent some money on the island, but when all is said and done they'll still have an island and that doesn't suck. Sinking millions more into a project that may not pan out and will result in nothing other than more holes in that island is a different story. There may also be some issues with regard to environmental laws and what they can and can't do.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if the ones that left treasure behaved illogically? What then, who is hurt by a theory that tries to trace the dots...stimulating brainstorming that may actually find the treasure, not because it is a logical continuation, but because it just happened to get someone to look in a spot that no one had looked before! ... A metal detector buddy shows up the first time in an area I have been hunting in a grid pattern and goes wandering around to a random spot and finds yet another ring! He is very lucky, makes no sense and must be a coincidence right! He does it with such monotonous regularity that we call him Ringy! He is lucky I am not...I accept that...after all the proof is in the puddin!

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, with all due respect, referring to the mystery of Oak Island as a "pile of manure" as you call it, well that's not right. I realize you think it's all a big hoax. That's fine and I respect that. But "pile of manure"? Dan Blankenship has artefacts by the way. Why don't you call him and ask to see this "manure". C'mon now Dave, geesh - did you run out of caffeine today?

Last edited:

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! I like you mate!

It is a cool story with some obvious mystery but it has had far too many crazy people with wild imaginations follow it.

1. Probably, none, and probably. The rise and fall (and brackishness, as it's not actually seawater down there) of the water has been adequately explained by geologists.

2. I'm not sure when that was first theorized; I may have come across it at some point but there's far too much here to commit to memory, and I'm not sure how important it is anyway. There has been no real evidence to date that they exist and others have claimed to have looked for them. The number of channels postulated that I'm familiar with was only three. But five? Why not?

3. I suspect that it's more of a hobby for them than anything else. Yes, they spent some money on the island, but when all is said and done they'll still have an island and that doesn't suck. Sinking millions more into a project that may not pan out and will result in nothing other than more holes in that island is a different story. There may also be some issues with regard to environmental laws and what they can and can't do.

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Dave, with all due respect, referring to the mystery of Oak Island as a "pile of manure" as you call it, well that's not right. I realize you think it's all a big hoax. That's fine and I respect that. But "pile of manure"? Dan Blankenship has artefacts by the way. Why don't you call him and ask to see this "manure". C'mon now Dave, geesh - did you run out of caffeine today?

I'd go a little further than "pile of manure" in the Oak island case, it's more along the lines of a "pile of horse."

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember it still violates TN rules to substitute characters for letters to bypass language censor...Thanks

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Oak Island "Skeptics"

Like other Oak Island Money Pit skeptics, many of the skeptics on this forum refuse to review the data relevant to the evidence presented.

They prejudge this evidence and those providing it because their limited perspective fails to understand how such things might actually have taken place.

Those who assert that there is no evidence for the Oak Island Money Pit, in spite of all the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, believe they know the truth without considering any of the facts, data or evidence provided and choose to be willfully ignorant to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions