History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just so I'm understanding you correctly Robot, you're theorizing that they dug a giant pit down, then a tunnel back up, in order to bury the treasure?

Yes, nature has shown mankind the best way to conceal a cavern.

This is much like a Ground Squirrel digs his main tunnel leaving a mound of dirt at the entrance to entice where the coyote is to dig all along the Ground Squirrel is up in his cavern sleeping and can leave at any time via his concealed alternate exit.
Once the coyote gives up he does not return to dig at the same hole.

The Freemason's Treasure Vault was enabled to be secured above the water table, with no visible entry, and easily available for when it was required to be retrieved.

Could one plan a better vault?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Robot, if there was an armada of 10 warships off of Oak Island circa 1762, I just can't see how it would have gone unnoticed. Oak Island is just offshore - heck, I can swim to it when the ocean is warm. It is highly visible from land. The Mi'kmaw hadn't been rounded up like cattle and stuck on reservations as of yet and I know for a fact that they were active on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. The French may not have had dominion, but the Mi'kmaw had connections. Not everyone who settled in Nova Scotia was English. French protestants were already here for example, as well as those whom we would now call Germans. Their allegiance to the British was one of convenience only at that point.

As to the Freemasons being able to handle any encounters with ten warships, there would be a record Robot. The timeline is such that folks were already settling the South Shore, where Oak Island is located.

I just can't support that timeline.

Cheers from an eleventh generation Nova Scotian.

I do not believe that these Freemasons were worried about being noticed in Nova Scotia at this time period.

In 1762 ad most of the World was Britain's land
Benjamin Franklin met with the Masonic Grand Master of England in 1760 ad in London to discuss this plan.
It would have been far easier to conceal this treasure in the New World with the help of the Royal Navy and Masonic organization presently there.
Noted New world Free Masons:
Johnathan Belcher – Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia (1760 – 1763)
He was based in Halifax Nova Scotia and was in charge over the Royal Navy at what is Oak Island.
His father was Jonathan Belcher senior, first Free Mason of North America and the “Senior Free Mason of America”

With the support of the entire British Navy, the French and Mi'kmaw natives were just ongoing skirmishes

I am sure that with the recorded British meetings of Ben Franklin with the Freemasons in 1760 at London, there should be some record in our Canadian archives with any Halifax meetings!

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Delving deep I see.......

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Could one plan a better vault?

Possibly.

The flood tunnels get discussed a lot around here. If they in fact existed, were they added at the same time that the pit was constructed?

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...theory about how the island is a Large water filtration system..??

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Possibly.

The flood tunnels get discussed a lot around here. If they in fact existed, were they added at the same time that the pit was constructed?

The ingeniously engineered flood tunnels were added after the Money Pit Shaft and the Treasure Vault was built.

I believe these 5 tunnels funneling into 1 from Smith’s Cove and the possible same tunnels from South Shore Cove were the design of James Brindley (1716-1772).

James Brindley was a master engineer in Britain who used the technique of “puddling” for the construction of canals and later for dams.

Puddling is the process of lining a channel with puddle clay to create a watertight barrier.
Puddle clay can be described as (blue clay) which was found in abundance within the Money Pit Shaft and these Tunnels.
Blue clay is not indigenous to Oak Island and no previous explanation as to its purpose for being there has ever been explained. (Note coincidentally a thread on this forum discussing Blue Clay)

The unique ocean tide associated with Oak Island allowed the workers to build these 5 tunnels out into the bay while the tide was out.

In order that these tunnels did not fill up with debris with each tidal movement a filtering system was devised.
This consisted of the (famed) coconut fibers along with rocks, gravel and eelgrass.
Eelgrass was used in Europe and especially in Holland to seal dikes.

The construction of the main tunnel met up with the 5 feeder tunnels at a junction box just a short distance from the shore.
This junction box was located in the 1800’s when a local cow fell through the ground and had to be rescued.

The final construction of this booby trap prior to the back fill of the Money Pit Shaft was the placement of the air lock at level 8.
Once this was sprung the Money Pit Shaft was destroyed with the ocean water filling the Pit up to the water table.

Fortunately, the treasure would always remain dry and secure up in the Treasure Vault until ready for it to be retrieved.

Last edited:

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 feeder tunnels, blue clay and a treasure vault...

You talk about these things like they are real. I love the story and look forward to seeing some form of conclusion on it all, but you speak with such surety on the design of a treasure vault and tunnels where there is almost no evidence. Again, what evidence is there of these 5 feeder tunnels? Has anyone ever put in the shovel work and simply proved there existence by digging one up in the bay? Not from what I can see.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
5 feeder tunnels, blue clay and a treasure vault...

You talk about these things like they are real. I love the story and look forward to seeing some form of conclusion on it all, but you speak with such surety on the design of a treasure vault and tunnels where there is almost no evidence. Again, what evidence is there of these 5 feeder tunnels? Has anyone ever put in the shovel work and simply proved there existence by digging one up in the bay? Not from what I can see.

I can no more show you one of these tunnels than I can show you The Ark of the Covenant, The Ten Commandment Plates or the Holly Grail, only state what has been seen and recorded by others.

The faith in that they did exist is the essence to proceed and do what we do on this forum and that is "the search for treasure".

It is not "the knowing for certainty" what might lie in any clump of dirt or scoop of sand in a gold pan but "the will to try" and prove that treasure just might be waiting there for the finding.

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Robot wrote:

"It is not "the knowing for certainty" what might lie in any clump of dirt or scoop of sand in a gold pan but "the will to try" and prove that treasure just might be waiting there for the finding."

Robot, on this point I agree with you 100%.

Very well put Robot, very well put indeed.

Cheers!

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute sentiment.

I like adventure as much as the next guy, but speaking like you know of something for a surety is very different from providing theory for adventure.

I guess I have my answer now. There is no evidence of the 5 tunnels. The idea was obviously created by someone 100 years ago and everyone just believed them.

New theory: 14 sunken tunnels created by Napolean following the sugar wars in Haiti to protect his silver hoard.
Can't prove it though... Not until you go get a shovel eh? I also believe your star map points to the direction right above my local McDonalds.

I can no more show you one of these tunnels than I can show you The Ark of the Covenant, The Ten Commandment Plates or the Holly Grail, only state what has been seen and recorded by others.

The faith in that they did exist is the essence to proceed and do what we do on this forum and that is "the search for treasure".

It is not "the knowing for certainty" what might lie in any clump of dirt or scoop of sand in a gold pan but "the will to try" and prove that treasure just might be waiting there for the finding.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cute sentiment. I like adventure as much as the next guy, but speaking like you know of something for a surety is very different from providing theory for adventure. I guess I have my answer now. There is no evidence of the 5 tunnels. The idea was obviously created by someone 100 years ago and everyone just believed them. New theory: 14 sunken tunnels created by Napolean following the sugar wars in Haiti to protect his silver hoard. Can't prove it though... Not until you go get a shovel eh? I also believe your star map points to the direction right above my local McDonalds.

...jesus..dont take robot to the stake...

It is a dream, to believe in possibilities..
Possibilities turn into the realities from your Dreams.

Why squander..why waste Your time bringing someone else down- to be beneath you?? Seems useless and quite honestly, childish- being there is 7.1B+ on this earth As we speak through a backlit screen - which was Once a Dream...

Lets find ourselves on the Same boat, become a community of humans-open ended conversation..then start throwing stones at glass houses... The prosperity alone will be destroyed upon this alone..

Just a thought after a Long day at work..

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Cute sentiment.

I like adventure as much as the next guy, but speaking like you know of something for a surety is very different from providing theory for adventure.

I guess I have my answer now. There is no evidence of the 5 tunnels. The idea was obviously created by someone 100 years ago and everyone just believed them.

New theory: 14 sunken tunnels created by Napolean following the sugar wars in Haiti to protect his silver hoard.
Can't prove it though... Not until you go get a shovel eh? I also believe your star map points to the direction right above my local McDonalds.
So his star map has found GOLDen arches!

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
...jesus..dont take robot to the stake...

It is a dream, to believe in possibilities..
Possibilities turn into the realities from your Dreams.

Why squander..why waste Your time bringing someone else down- to be beneath you?? Seems useless and quite honestly, childish- being there is 7.1B+ on this earth As we speak through a backlit screen - which was Once a Dream...

Lets find ourselves on the Same boat, become a community of humans-open ended conversation..then start throwing stones at glass houses... The prosperity alone will be destroyed upon this alone..

Just a thought after a Long day at work..
Lol...geez, what's up with this site? He's ribbing him a little so everyone's going to cry about it? He was telling him he doesn't believe his theory in a playful, joking manner. For a bunch of supposed rugged treasure hunters, some of you sure have thin skin. It's an internet forum. This is how things go.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robot appears to be channeling.... Way too much info ... Perhaps much less would leave room for the brothers to take an interest in the star chart...

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...geez, what's up with this site? He's ribbing him a little so everyone's going to cry about it? He was telling him he doesn't believe his theory in a playful, joking manner. For a bunch of supposed rugged treasure hunters, some of you sure have thin skin. It's an internet forum. This is how things go.

I thought I was taking crazy pills until I read this!

He really summed me up. I LOVE treasure and all it's associated stories/adventure. I also like to discuss it.

There are 50 pages of discussion in this thread alone. I don't mind what anyone believes, but when I read things I consider borderline crazy I tend to giggle... no offense intended whatsoever, it's the theories not the person. The Canadian gentleman sounds like he has invested far more time into this legend than most and it seems to have driven him a little batty. I met an older man recently who seemed so sure that he had found the location of Jesuit treasure. He had shown me 'evidence' in person to back up his claims over 30 years of research, wrote a full length book and invited me to come dig with him. It took about 5 minutes for me to realize that he had spent the last 30 years convincing himself that he was right - All he did was pointed to recently placed stones and trees as markers... I left shortly after.

The hardest part about reading peoples treasure theories is when they have convinced themselves to the point of no return in the clear absence of reason...

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I was taking crazy pills until I read this!

He really summed me up. I LOVE treasure and all it's associated stories/adventure. I also like to discuss it.

There are 50 pages of discussion in this thread alone. I don't mind what anyone believes, but when I read things I consider borderline crazy I tend to giggle... no offense intended whatsoever, it's the theories not the person. The Canadian gentleman sounds like he has invested far more time into this legend than most and it seems to have driven him a little batty. I met an older man recently who seemed so sure that he had found the location of Jesuit treasure. He had shown me 'evidence' in person to back up his claims over 30 years of research, wrote a full length book and invited me to come dig with him. It took about 5 minutes for me to realize that he had spent the last 30 years convincing himself that he was right - All he did was pointed to recently placed stones and trees as markers... I left shortly after.

The hardest part about reading peoples treasure theories is when they have convinced themselves to the point of no return in the clear absence of reason...

Yes, some theories are too complicated for some to understand!

I believe I am in good company with others whose ideas have been perceived to be “borderline crazy” and take no offense to these accusations.

My goal on this forum is to reveal as much of my theory as possible, answer to the best of my ability any questions and contribute to the day this mystery will be solved.

Knowing that the “proof is in the pudding” and will be good to taste, while others may be eating “crow”!

Last edited:

wilkes

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are right when someone finally solves it :)

rowanns

Jan 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You say there are posts here that are posted in a "playful, joking manner" as you put it. I guess you think that if you keep telling yourself that, others will believe you. I certainly won't.

"This is how things go" - for you and certain others here perhaps, but not for most who post here.

I don't give the hind quarters of a rat whether you or me or anyone else believes in Robot's theories. We have every right to question them, but let's have some manners shall we, and do so in a manner that reflects our role as adults.

To ridicule and be condescending is just plain rude and frankly I thought this forum was a little more grown up than that.

No one is asking anyone to believe anything here. If you don't believe theories, well then ask questions. If folks here can be bothered to post ridicule, surely then can also take the time to do that as well can't they?

As for "rugged treasure hunters" not having "thick skin", I firmly believe that most have manners.

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You say there are posts here that are posted in a "playful, joking manner" as you put it. I guess you think that if you keep telling yourself that, others will believe you. I certainly won't. "This is how things go" - for you and certain others here perhaps, but not for most who post here. I don't give the hind quarters of a rat whether you or me or anyone else believes in Robot's theories. We have every right to question them, but let's have some manners shall we, and do so in a manner that reflects our role as adults. To ridicule and be condescending is just plain rude and frankly I thought this forum was a little more grown up than that. No one is asking anyone to believe anything here. If you don't believe theories, well then ask questions. If folks here can be bothered to post ridicule, surely then can also take the time to do that as well can't they? As for "rugged treasure hunters" not having "thick skin", I firmly believe that most have manners.
Spoken like a kind soul - indeed

..herehere..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread