History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The audacity of modern day man to think that only he could have built the tunneling involved with Oak Island.

The timing of this tunneling was right with the 18th Century as no human today would have undergone the tenacity to spend the effort required moiling these tunnels.

Cornish miners working on their knees, scraping out these holes with nothing but candles lighting their way.

Blind miners were sent in to retrieve them when their candles had expired.

A work force of men moving earth and rocks.

No, today's men rely on machinery and computers and few have ever gotten their hands or fingernails dirty doing such accomplishments!

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's funny watching this scene again because the conversation sounds a lot like the one we're having here!

NostraDanis

Feb 16, 2014
The Bluegrass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, HWJjr, you have just made this my favorite Treasurenet thread of all time.
If you're interested, the "unladen swallow" scene, as it is portrayed in "Spamalot", is also quite entertaining.

KingCoal

Jan 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, I'm new and saw this thread I was looking into the Oak Island legend and watching the show. I'm curious tho maybe I missed it but how come they don't do any seismic refraction? We use to do that before taking core samples to look for gold. Seismic reflection can be used up to around 40 feet and refraction can be for 100+ you can use it to find cavities and caves and such. It's actually not all that expensive either.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could do a seismic survey of the whole island to 200 feet and there would be a crowd who said: "you should have done it to 205 feet, because the treasure is there!"

They may not agree whether it is Masonic, Templar, The Lost Tribe or Atlantian, but they would be 100% sincere in their position. Except for the splinter fringe that claims it was there but was moved inland. It has become religion and is faith based.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The audacity of modern day man to think that only he could have built the tunneling involved with Oak Island.

The timing of this tunneling was right with the 18th Century as no human today would have undergone the tenacity to spend the effort required moiling these tunnels.

Cornish miners working on their knees, scraping out these holes with nothing but candles lighting their way.

Blind miners were sent in to retrieve them when their candles had expired.

A work force of men moving earth and rocks.

No, today's men rely on machinery and computers and few have ever gotten their hands or fingernails dirty doing such accomplishments!

You are comparing pinecones and potatoes here. There is zero correlation between a hardrock miner tunneling through rock and the supposition that 300 years ago a 200+ foot shaft was dug into sand and dirt, below the natural water line and that they then tunneled through water, out under the ocean to create "booby traps" to fill a hole. Because they obviously didn't want people finding the bottom after leaving platforms and clues every 10 feet all the way down to it.

That must be some good pot you all got up there to come up with stuff like that.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the sort of "Audacity" I was referring to!

Comstock.jpg

You are comparing pinecones and potatoes here. There is zero correlation between a hardrock miner tunneling through rock and the supposition that 300 years ago a 200+ foot shaft was dug into sand and dirt, below the natural water line and that they then tunneled through water, out under the ocean to create "booby traps" to fill a hole. Because they obviously didn't want people finding the bottom after leaving platforms and clues every 10 feet all the way down to it.

That must be some good pot you all got up there to come up with stuff like that.

If one only researched the Cornish Mining accomplishments throughout the world:
US - example - Comstock Mines 1800's 3000 foot tunnels
Canada
Mexico
Australia
South America

One would find that these miners dug tunnels through all kinds of soils and conditions.

Maybe more time `Researching` and less time `Smoking`!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
let them chase ghosts.....it'll keep em away from my treasure. BUah hahahahaah ahaha buhaahahaaaa!!!!

Crazy-pirate-baby.jpg

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1102678

If one only researched the Cornish Mining accomplishments throughout the world:
US - example - Comstock Mines 1800's 3000 foot tunnels
Canada
Mexico
Australia
South America

One would find that these miners dug tunnels through all kinds of soils and conditions.

Maybe more time `Researching` and less time `Smoking`!

and how close to the ocean ? and long did it take them to do that ?

2 ? 3 Weeks ? (I ask with a healthy dose of sarcasm) :tongue3:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard and pass me a beer please, I hope you brought beer?

Hi there, I'm new and saw this thread I was looking into the Oak Island legend and watching the show. I'm curious tho maybe I missed it but how come they don't do any seismic refraction? We use to do that before taking core samples to look for gold. Seismic reflection can be used up to around 40 feet and refraction can be for 100+ you can use it to find cavities and caves and such. It's actually not all that expensive either.

Hello there noooob. You have to understand that these legends generally defy science, technology and logic. Not to mention often the laws of physics/nature.

Thermodynamics and entropy have been no obstacle.

Certainly since the fortune squirreled away in that pit was done so before Telford published his masterpiece it is immune from remote geologic structure investigation. Get over it.

Applied Geophysics: W. M. Telford, L. P. Geldart, R. E. Sheriff: 9780521339384: Amazon.com: Books

Embarrassingly my copy is first edition with the green cover, which means there may be even newer stuff out there that I wasn't privy to back in the day :(

Now, all that being said, I have one piece of advise for you. If you ever meet that woman operating the giant Vibroseis truck which sets off the shock waves in lieu of explosive charges, do NOT refer to her as the vibrator operator. Trust me on this.

BTW, 200 feet is hardly a scratch on the surface for geophysical structure investigations.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bah! Heretic! Stop trying to bring field experience, practical methods and appropriate actions into this search. How can you get three seasons out of: BANG! Bounce. Nada.?

Actually - I take that back. Not three seasons. 220 seasons since 1795 of nada.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean after the Coconuts drivin me nuts, then the tainted environment from the carbon dating, and with all the drag on the show,............

View attachment 1103072

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Bah! Heretic! Stop trying to bring field experience, practical methods and appropriate actions into this search. How can you get three seasons out of: BANG! Bounce. Nada.?

Actually - I take that back. Not three seasons. 220 seasons since 1795 of nada.

OK fine. I'll try to rein myself in a bit. Unfortunately I just unloaded on an unsuspecting mark in another thread. But that was before I saw your post :P

But seriously, there has to be SOMETHING down there :D

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello there noooob. You have to understand that these legends generally defy science, technology and logic. Not to mention often the laws of physics/nature.

Thermodynamics and entropy have been no obstacle.

Certainly since the fortune squirreled away in that pit was done so before Telford published his masterpiece it is immune from remote geologic structure investigation. Get over it.

Applied Geophysics: W. M. Telford, L. P. Geldart, R. E. Sheriff: 9780521339384: Amazon.com: Books

Embarrassingly my copy is first edition with the green cover, which means there may be even newer stuff out there that I wasn't privy to back in the day :(

Now, all that being said, I have one piece of advise for you. If you ever meet that woman operating the giant Vibroseis truck which sets off the shock waves in lieu of explosive charges, do NOT refer to her as the vibrator operator. Trust me on this.

BTW, 200 feet is hardly a scratch on the surface for geophysical structure investigations.

The Treasure Vault is located approximately 50 feet off shore at the North/West tip of the Island.

Is this thing water proof to go out there?

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
The Treasure Vault is located approximately 50 feet off shore at the North/West tip of the Island.

Is this thing water proof to go out there?

Well, sure. Geo-phones (vibration sensors) can be placed (right type) any where (some are towed behind boats) and if we are limiting geophysics to only seismic reflection/refraction no problem. The source can be a long distance away. Deep oil formation geology is performed on the scale of miles. But this WAS about defining the pit ( I predict it is a sinkhole).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the 5 minutes worth of new film of them going down the hole was interesting.

I only wish they didn't keep repeating the same thing over & over

it got really tiresome seeing the Cartoon image of 2 Boxes a Piece of wood and possible body,
along with the words 7 must die
before & after every commercial Over & over again.

A gee ? ....... think anyone hasn't heard that enough by now ?

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted much this season as life got in the way, but I have recorded every episode on DVR and have watched each one, sometimes more than once.

I too find it frustrating to hear things repeated over and over. I want more new film footage. The episode tonight was exciting though, and I could see that this episode was a long build-up to the season finale next week. The brief preview of next week's episode shows the team giving each other a high-five and it was said that man-made tools were found along with the entrance to a cavern. So we're going to see the season end with a major break through. I couldn't see the season ending without something to base a season three on, so this break through will be it.

I'm hoping that something is there and it's not just tools left from previous Oak Island treasure searchers. I'd love to see a treasure found, and I'd love for it to be something of historical significance. Something from the Knights Templer would be a real treasure!

Admittedly, I don't know too much about the history of Nova Scotia but there's been some things brought out on this forum in addition to the program that make me wonder about the earliest Europeans there. Just the name.............Nova Scotia.....New Scotland is intriguing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread