Hurricane IRMA check in thread

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still here in NW Orlando, worst should be over in next 2 hours. Luckly still have power, I do have two 2000 watt inverters just in case they are needed.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The storm just passed us. Some strong gusts left but no rain. I dodged a bullet!

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dead calm at 2:30.....the lack of noise woke me up..
Generator is running... Coffee is good...Lots of noises overnight.
It can wait till daylight.. the storm let us go.....

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Glad to see you made it Urban. Any damage?

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you made it Urban. Any damage?

At first glance all is OK...normal debris...
We got fortunate....
If the storm had made landfall near Anna Maria or St Pete...it'd have taken months to recover.
Hoping the Teco guys get the power up soon...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard from the Key West guys? I am very worried about the outcome there. They took the Cat4 and I am afraid it is not good. I have not even seen any footage out of there? Anyone?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
9:18 AM storm has moved on from Ocala, power never went off, but no water, and a lot of tree debris with occasional wind bursts.

th2011

Jan 1, 2011
Murphy, NC
Detector(s) used
CZ-20
From what I have heard on FB, Key West weathered pretty well. Although that can be subjective from what perspective you see it. Lets just say this, most boats if not all at Key West marina are fine. That should tell you something. Big Pine key incurred lots of wind damage. Many videos on FB.

Has anyone heard from the Key West guys? I am very worried about the outcome there. They took the Cat4 and I am afraid it is not good. I have not even seen any footage out of there? Anyone?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have heard on FB, Key West weathered pretty well. Although that can be subjective from what perspective you see it. Lets just say this, most boats if not all at Key West marina are fine. That should tell you something. Big Pine key incurred lots of wind damage. Many videos on FB.
Seriously? That is GREAT news

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Middle and Upper Keys took the brunt of the storm being in the Northeast quadrant of the Hurricane when it passed over, while Key West and the Lower Keys should have been spared somewhat.

Frank

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also find it a bit odd that no footage or anything else has come out from the keys...
They got walloped for hours on end before the big surf and winds came in..
Maybe a Galleon washed ashore and they're suppressing the news until they can find a way of hiding it....from Spain...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I also find it a bit odd that no footage or anything else has come out from the keys...
Maybe a Galleon washed ashore and they're suppressing the news until they can find a way of hiding it....from Spain...

Who cares about those Cons/Quistadors, it is Florida Officials that are the real problem!

On another note, there is this which is old and not really informative. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html
There are some videos posted on YouTube saying they are of damage in Key West but some I saw (like the one below) looked like they were made on Big Coppitt Key in the area around where I lived for about 6 months while waiting for an apartment in Key West. It is possible that it was made on Stock Island or up around Cudjoe Key or Big Pine Key but definitely not Key West. IMHO, some are just amateurs that are trying to get their' names in the headlines but have no clue as to where they really are and what is really up. Just look at the title of the video below and you will understand (Key West 300 miles from Miami, whaaattt? Did it move?)

Frank

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was convincing this little blonde girl (my wife) to move to Florida 21 years ago I promised her "if one's coming, we're going!"

We're up in the NC mountains at family. Broke the normal 11 hour drive in to 2 days. Friday took 10 hours itself.... a literal pain in the a**.

Poppin Oxy and waiting for good news from those that stayed and pictures of treasure for those hitting the beaches!!

Be safe everyone traveling and staying!!

Bart if you need help afterwards just post a yellowfin grill out offer and I'm sure peeps will make the trip!! haha

"poppin Oxy" surely made the trek north easier (hope u were not driving) it also makes for happier but Shot Term effects in general. Hope yr pain gets better.
GL With all this mess, tho as of now , 2.20 pm Monday the center of now TS Irma is going into S GA, I wait to see what tree damage we get here 20 miles N-of Atlanta.
Have a safe trip home.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love yr imagination , as I have found out over the past Month + 'Gold finds Can be kept Secret.'.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that everyone is doing good for the most part. Hope it stays this way.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete...You are right, mainly the 850mb, 700mb and 500mb (mb = millibars) charts (Analysis and Forecast) give you an indication of where a Hurricane is going to go. However, sometimes with stronger storms such as Irma, most everything down to (actually up to) 100mb has to be taken into account. The problem with using any of the charts and data is the unknown factors that suddenly develop such as low pressure centers, tropical waves, high pressure ridges, erratic movement of fronts, unexpected Thunderstorm complexes that sometimes seem to develop out of no where or even the Hurricane itself which can create it's own large Mesoscale Environment due to it's sheer strength. The latter are the ones we really worry about or should I say, myself and others worried about when I worked at the National Weather Service Office in Key West as they pretty much can and will often move any direction they want.

Frank

Very well stated Frank.
I can think that statement in my Mind but Typing it (to share my thought's) would take forever.

Some 'May' Complain about "Mandatory " e-Vacs but the Storm for the most part has stayed in "The Cone".

Heck I live 20-25 miles North of Atlanta & School is out Today & Tomorrow.

Better safe than Sorry ,I suppose.

Houston still hatin-it as Well.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching Aerial shots of Miami showed a-lot of tree Damage + structure damage, but some smaller areas look like they were struck by 'micro Tornatoes' evidenced by small swaths of more intense Damage.

SC need's to be on the Look-out for 'Quick Spin up F-0 - F-2 Tornadoes.

Thanks to Cuba (in a Way) slower movement & a late turn North , IMO- This Storm could have been MUCH worse , the Prayer of Millions helped as well , ill bet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread