I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20170812_230637.jpg
    20170812_230637.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just coming back to this thread after a while.

At first I thought it was a good idea to have a gun thread.

I guess I thought it would be about different types weapons, types, calibers, and interesting information about weapons.

oh well.

Quite true! Anything gun related welcome. Post pics of your favourites!

Here's an unbelievable but true story....
When I was 9 I locked myself in my bedroom. Id been fighting with my older brother who was trying to get into the room.... anyway, he thought he would use a spitball in a pellet gun to shoot me through the keyhole.... such is the wisdom of 10 year olds.
He fired through the keyhole and shot me (get this) straight between the eyes. The problem was that he had been shooting birds the evening before from his bedroom window and heard my mother coming...so he broke the barrel and pulled the trigger while holding onto the barrel.....BUT THE SLUG WAS STILL IN THE GUN.
So he shot me between the eyes with a pellet and spitball. Had to go to the doctor to have it removed. One inch either way and I would have lost an eye.

Chub

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just coming back to this thread after a while.

At first I thought it was a good idea to have a gun thread.

I guess I thought it would be about different types weapons, types, calibers, and interesting information about weapons.

oh well.

It's not rocket science. In some places you can open carry; while others you must or may want to carry concealed. If you are "serious" a 9mm x 19mm is a minor/minimal choice that also offers quantity vs. larger 10mm and .45 ACP that offer more energy per shot.

So, for your laws and preferences, you can carry a pistol that allows a balance of concealability, convenience, firepower and affordability.

For me in NY, a S&W Shield 9 with MagGuts +2 magazine followers and springs allows the most for the least. (10 round max. state mandate, concealed state mandate). Walther and Spingfield offer similar - but USA made and available sight/holster options for me favored the S&W. And I liked the way it felt and shot.

Your economic vs. on-hand energy vs. legal options curves may intersect at a different point.

Last edited:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite true! Anything gun related welcome. Post pics of your favourites!

Here's an unbelievable but true story....
When I was 9 I locked myself in my bedroom. Id been fighting with my older brother who was trying to get into the room.... anyway, he thought he would use a spitball in a pellet gun to shoot me through the keyhole.... such is the wisdom of 10 year olds.
He fired through the keyhole and shot me (get this) straight between the eyes. The problem was that he had been shooting birds the evening before from his bedroom window and heard my mother coming...so he broke the barrel and pulled the trigger while holding onto the barrel.....BUT THE SLUG WAS STILL IN THE GUN.
So he shot me between the eyes with a pellet and spitball. Had to go to the doctor to have it removed. One inch either way and I would have lost an eye.

Chub

That reminds me of something I did to my younger brother after we had got into some squabble over lord knows what. I had taken one of those tube style Bic ball point pens and took the guts out, it was simply a plastic tube at this point. I had a Crosman Powermaster 66 and I inserted a spitwad in the pen tube, then inserted the pen tube into the muzzle of the air rifle and scotch taped around it to secure it. I then pumped it up and found him sitting on the couch watching TV. I fired at him from probably 50 feet away or so and it got him right in the neck. He was bleeding pretty good from it, and flopping around on the ground squealing like a stuck pig. I had no idea a spitwad would come out of my creation with that amount of force or accuracy, and I felt bad for doing it afterwards.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We still have a Crossman 760 circa 1984 in the family. Restored /re blued a few years ago by my oldest brother. The biggest problem with them was all the noise from the pumping....best to pump up inside the kitchen door if hunting small game. The magnet on the bolt was also a bit weak in my opinion but over all a very clever design for youngsters. They overcame the storage of bb issue, From memory 200 in the resevoir and 20 in the 'mag'. Ofcourse the BBs were never as accurate as pellets.

Chub

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me of something I did to my younger brother after we had got into some squabble over lord knows what. I had taken one of those tube style Bic ball point pens and took the guts out, it was simply a plastic tube at this point. I had a Crosman Powermaster 66 and I inserted a spitwad in the pen tube, then inserted the pen tube into the muzzle of the air rifle and scotch taped around it to secure it. I then pumped it up and found him sitting on the couch watching TV. I fired at him from probably 50 feet away or so and it got him right in the neck. He was bleeding pretty good from it, and flopping around on the ground squealing like a stuck pig. I had no idea a spitwad would come out of my creation with that amount of force or accuracy, and I felt bad for doing it afterwards.

Chicken / rabbit / guinea pigs feed pellets also seemed to be just the right size for the .177.... oh the cruelty of brothers fighting....strangely ,as you say, I simply cant remember what all the fighting was about?
But somehow it seemed rational at the time to shoot each other? Also strange in reflection was that we had good gun sense and respect for firearms at the time and in later years....
I guess it all comes down to kids raising kids and having no father (suicide) and mother at work all day? ...and the fact that 10 year old brains are a loooooong way from being fully developed.

Chub

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicken / rabbit / guinea pigs feed pellets also seemed to be just the right size for the .177.... oh the cruelty of brothers fighting....strangely ,as you say, I simply cant remember what all the fighting was about?
But somehow it seemed rational at the time to shoot each other? Also strange in reflection was that we had good gun sense and respect for firearms at the time and in later years....
I guess it all comes down to kids raising kids and having no father (suicide) and mother at work all day? ...and the fact that 10 year old brains are a loooooong way from being fully developed.

Chub

Come to think of it, I was around 10 years old at the time. Yes, my respect for firearms has surely come a long way since those days.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10mm. For shooters who understand math.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry a 177 cal pistol for dogs and snakes

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area I live and detect is chiefly rural and I have no concerns what-so-ever about violent people, but venomous snakes I stay on the watch for. That is mainly why I carry this 4 3/4" Ruger Blackhawk in the drivers door pocket in my old rocky country road, metal detecting, beater pick up truck.

Usually carry 2 round of CCI snake loads loaded with #9 shot followed by 4 rounds of my accurate handload of a 250 grain flat nose bullet pushed by 6.3 grains of Red Dot powder, shown in the middle. The load on right is my deer hunting at short woods ranges load. It consists of nickel plated brass by Starline of Sedalia, Mo. Powder charge is 21.2 gr. Winchester 296 powder, firm roll crimp and large pistol magnum primer.

Ruger only rides in that holster during woods walks and deer season which I seldom do anymore.
9f14c17c74f0723da9753dc33068418e.jpg

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw, above gun is .45 Colt cal.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally never felt the need to. Though I have bumped into a couple people I would have liked to shoot :). To me it would be just something else cumbersome to tote. Nothing wrong with a little extra security though.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My partner and me were detecting a popular swimming hole that had dried up two years ago. Found 9 rings between the two of us. The real clincher was this pistol I dug up. When I first uncovered it I just about had a stroke!! I turned it over and realized it was a CO2 BB pistol. It was made in Japan by Walther for Crossman. It was a heart stopper at first!!
001 (3).JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

Kuznec

Greenie
Jul 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this theory that some people who get nervous at the thought of other people having guns about everywhere in everyday life.- they might be afraid of what they would do if they had a gun and they project their reasoning onto others. Its just a theory.

Interestingly, these people were nervous if there was a trained fighter nearby who could kill them with one blow. It's just that this is not a problem, it's a problem in these people's heads.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just kidding around Chub. Actually I used to have a Beeman-Webley Tempest in .22. It seemed to loosen up on the front hinge over time and lost accuracy some. I prefer my Crossman 1377 . Better penetration with the Crossman in .177 than with the Tempest .22, better for shooting garden pests.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need the OU for doubles in Skeet. That said Skeet makes me crazy. Never saw the value in it. High house Low house lead this much that much. Very difficult game to play holding a Budweiser.

I used to shoot skeet with a pump 12ga., and the best shooter I know of at the club shoots 25s quite regularly with a Winchester 42.

If I recall correctly, skeet was invented by a dude who wanted to practice for shooting grouse. Originally the game was played in a complete circle and called "Shooting Around The Clock". They figured out right quick that shooting halfway around the clock was much safer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions