i have this thing with finding eagles

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
this weekend i headed with my family and many extended family to my parents' cabin in the mountains of beautiful WV. i had hoped to detect at the site of my dad and his siblings' old school which is there no longer, but property is owned by a girl scout camp. i am still hopeful that i can obtain permission to hunt there, but have had no calls back after 3 messages left with caretaker and girlscout administration. anyway, that plan thwarted, i headed to the cellar hole on my parents' property where i dug many canning jar lids (i hate those things) and shotgun caps (i hate them a little less than the jar lids), one cute little bayer aspirin bottle that i found by the lid, and a plow blade. being rather discouraged with the finds, i decided to head to another property owned by my uncle's family where i've found a few interesting items that i hope someday to post on "what is it?", but where my imagination always runs wild since my relative's daughter-in-law found a $20 gold piece while planting flowers!!! there has been no house there for many years, but my dad says he thinks had been built in the late 1800's. i was there for several hours and was ready to call it a night (my finds had been few, a thimble, with the top cut or corroded off, 2 unidentifiable scraps, a large piece of old clock innards, and some other various trash) when my cousin happened by, saw what i was up to and brought out his head lamp. i considered leaving due to my lack of success, but thought i'd try detecting with a headlamp. it was great! i could get hooked! and thanks to the headlamp i found this eagle thing. i must say that i nearly gave up, it was deep, the ground was hard, even after the snow had soaked in, it was partially wedged in under a large rock, and i thought it must be a plumbing device when i could tell its elbow shape. even after i finally got it out, i thought it was more funny than neat. my dad, though, thinks its really a good find, he thought maybe it was a cane topper. it is my third eagle find in about two months, which is why i thought this find was funny, none on old coins, though. well, thanks for reading this lengthy post!

Attachments

• Eagle Cane 001.jpg
    Eagle Cane 001.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 800
  • Eagle Cane 002.jpg
    Eagle Cane 002.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, burglar--You have a nice saddle pommel there--and I'm assuming you read most of the thread on the second link I sent. Worth a decent amount of money, too. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
cseward9089 said:
Hey I think I know what you have there. It is a horn (i think that is what it is called) from a saddle dated pre civil war. My father in law (civil war collector) bought a saddle many years ago because it had the exact eagle head as the horn. Can't tell you much more than that however I do recall it dated pre civil war (spanish war?)
thanks, ceseward. you knew it all along!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread