i have this thing with finding eagles

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
this weekend i headed with my family and many extended family to my parents' cabin in the mountains of beautiful WV. i had hoped to detect at the site of my dad and his siblings' old school which is there no longer, but property is owned by a girl scout camp. i am still hopeful that i can obtain permission to hunt there, but have had no calls back after 3 messages left with caretaker and girlscout administration. anyway, that plan thwarted, i headed to the cellar hole on my parents' property where i dug many canning jar lids (i hate those things) and shotgun caps (i hate them a little less than the jar lids), one cute little bayer aspirin bottle that i found by the lid, and a plow blade. being rather discouraged with the finds, i decided to head to another property owned by my uncle's family where i've found a few interesting items that i hope someday to post on "what is it?", but where my imagination always runs wild since my relative's daughter-in-law found a $20 gold piece while planting flowers!!! there has been no house there for many years, but my dad says he thinks had been built in the late 1800's. i was there for several hours and was ready to call it a night (my finds had been few, a thimble, with the top cut or corroded off, 2 unidentifiable scraps, a large piece of old clock innards, and some other various trash) when my cousin happened by, saw what i was up to and brought out his head lamp. i considered leaving due to my lack of success, but thought i'd try detecting with a headlamp. it was great! i could get hooked! and thanks to the headlamp i found this eagle thing. i must say that i nearly gave up, it was deep, the ground was hard, even after the snow had soaked in, it was partially wedged in under a large rock, and i thought it must be a plumbing device when i could tell its elbow shape. even after i finally got it out, i thought it was more funny than neat. my dad, though, thinks its really a good find, he thought maybe it was a cane topper. it is my third eagle find in about two months, which is why i thought this find was funny, none on old coins, though. well, thanks for reading this lengthy post!

Attachments

• Eagle Cane 001.jpg
    Eagle Cane 001.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 799
  • Eagle Cane 002.jpg
    Eagle Cane 002.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 811
Upvote 0

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
I think your dad is correct looks like a cane handle. Dirt fishing at night can get addicting. With a $20 gold piece being found there i would personally not stop detecting till i at least found a silver.

GL searching.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Find the right "gnarly" looking stick and I think that baby is ready for service again.Very Cool Find :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
doesn't this look similar to a sword handle top somebody posted a while ago?

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
That is a really cool find. Neat eagle. You sure worked plenty hard enough
for it. Congratulations. Doug (blklab) :thumbsup:

cseward9089

Nov 3, 2008
Hey I think I know what you have there. It is a horn (i think that is what it is called) from a saddle dated pre civil war. My father in law (civil war collector) bought a saddle many years ago because it had the exact eagle head as the horn. Can't tell you much more than that however I do recall it dated pre civil war (spanish war?)

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
cseward9089 said:
Hey I think I know what you have there. It is a horn (i think that is what it is called) from a saddle dated pre civil war. My father in law (civil war collector) bought a saddle many years ago because it had the exact eagle head as the horn. Can't tell you much more than that however I do recall it dated pre civil war (spanish war?)
wow! i never thought it could be something like that! thanks for the reply, i think i'll take it to a shop nearby where the owner buys and sells civil war collectibles, coins tokens, etc. oh, welcome to treasurenet, its a fun place! :)

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
fortbball9 said:
thank you so much for the idea and the links!! the bottom two look very similar to the item i found. we actually did consider a sword handle, but thought maybe its too round rather than flattened? also, there are four holes spaced evenly around the bottom as if they were used in fastening it onto whatever it sat on. all the ideas are good, i'll post if i find out anything definite.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to play with a cane when I was a kid that belonged to my grandmother
that had that exact top on it. Very cool find!

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Ramapirate said:
I used to play with a cane when I was a kid that belonged to my grandmother
that had that exact top on it. Very cool find!

HH,
Ramapirate
thanks ramapirate for your input! i'll try to do a search on images for cane tops. one thing that i think is funny about finding this is that it would be hard to lose such a big item, ar at least easy to find it once it had benn lost!

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
kevo said:
I believe buckles found a similar relic a while back. Nice find
[thanks for the reply! is it possible to do e search to find his post?/quote]

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat eagle! (I'm hoping it's from a sword. . . THAT would be cool!)

watercolor

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

I posted one.   :)

Does your eagle have a hole under the beak?  If so, then it is Certainly a sword pommel.  If not--it still could be from a dirk or something.

But with the holes in the SIDES of the piece--cane topper is more likely than sword pommel...

I actually think your piece is MOST likely to be a Saddle Pommel.  The one in the second link below should be an exact match to the one you found.  :wink:  (See reply #41 in that post for the information I posted when I ID'ed the find, as well as reply #49 for what it looked like attached to the saddle.)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,174095.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,116474.0.html

Nice Find!

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
watercolor said:
Very neat eagle! (I'm hoping it's from a sword. . . THAT would be cool!)

watercolor
thanks!! me, too! and especially my 8 yr old. HE loves swords!!

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
BuckleBoy said:
shaun7 said:

I posted one. :)

Does your eagle have a hole under the beak? If so, then it is Certainly a sword pommel. If not--it still could be from a dirk or something.

But with the holes in the SIDES of the piece--cane topper is more likely than sword pommel...

I actually think your piece is MOST likely to be a Saddle Pommel. The one in the second link below should be an exact match to the one you found. :wink: (See reply #41 in that post for the information I posted when I ID'ed the find, as well as reply #49 for what it looked like attached to the saddle.)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,174095.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,116474.0.html

Nice Find!

-Buckleboy
thank you, thank you!! mystery solved!! i am thrilled to know this, my little boy will be ecstatic!! he, too, has a great imagination when it comes to my finds, but this time the reality is as good as our imaginings!! this is by far the best thing i've found!! GREATLY appreciate your help!! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread