I lost my rolex in a river

Gwozhog

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay im not a metal detector hobyist by any means. Just an idiot who decided to go wakeboarding with an 8k watch on my wrist. The watch flew off my wrist in a nasty reverse faceplant. I have an area to search that is about 50 yards by 30 yards. The river water is about 7ft deep with zero visibility. Im looking at purchasing the tesoro sand shark detector and was wandering if there is a cheeper underwater detector that will get a one time search and rescue job done. The watch is all Stainless steel. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 205

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I highly recomend you go to,"theringfinders.com"and contact the recovery guy in your area right away.most of us work on a reward only basis and it is the expierience that makes the find...not just the machine.Time is critical...call right away and best of luck to you

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recovery Magnet will probably not pick up a Rolex due to its non-magnetic stainless steel alloy. To verify my memory that some stainless is non-magnetic I did the following searches:

From a Google search: Stainless steels are iron-based alloys primarily known for their generally excellent corrosion resistance, which is largely due to the steel's chromium concentration. There are several different types of stainless steels. The two main types are austenitic and ferritic, each of which exhibits a different atomic arrangement. Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not.

From Rolex's site: Rolex uses 904L stainless steel which is commonly used in high-technology and in the aerospace and chemical industries. Its excellent anti-corrosion properties, comparable to those of precious metals, are due to its high chrome content.

From a Google search: 904L is an Austenitic Nonstandard grade Stainless Steel. It is composed of (in weight percentage) 0.02% Carbon (C), 2.00% Manganese (Mn), 1.00% Silicon (Si), 19.0-23.0% Chromium (Cr), 23.0-28.0% Nickel (Ni), 0.045% Phosphorus (P), 0.035% Sulfur (S), 4.0-5.0% Molybdenum (Mo), 1.0-2.0% Copper (Cu), and the base metal Iron (Fe). Other designations of 904L stainless steel include UNS N08904 and ASTM B625.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
A recovery Magnet will probably not pick up a Rolex due to its non-magnetic stainless steel alloy. To verify my memory that some stainless is non-magnetic I did the following searches:

From a Google search: Stainless steels are iron-based alloys primarily known for their generally excellent corrosion resistance, which is largely due to the steel's chromium concentration. There are several different types of stainless steels. The two main types are austenitic and ferritic, each of which exhibits a different atomic arrangement. Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not.

From Rolex's site: Rolex uses 904L stainless steel which is commonly used in high-technology and in the aerospace and chemical industries. Its excellent anti-corrosion properties, comparable to those of precious metals, are due to its high chrome content.

From a Google search: 904L is an Austenitic Nonstandard grade Stainless Steel. It is composed of (in weight percentage) 0.02% Carbon (C), 2.00% Manganese (Mn), 1.00% Silicon (Si), 19.0-23.0% Chromium (Cr), 23.0-28.0% Nickel (Ni), 0.045% Phosphorus (P), 0.035% Sulfur (S), 4.0-5.0% Molybdenum (Mo), 1.0-2.0% Copper (Cu), and the base metal Iron (Fe). Other designations of 904L stainless steel include UNS N08904 and ASTM B625.

Well bummer. Thanks for the info.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If its not a saltwater river then a Tiger Shark may work better, I am not sure, the Tesoro people will likely chime in.

7ft can be challenging, and 0 visibility can be challenging too. Don't give up, its doable and you'll probably find it quicker than you think

gunlocators

Jun 6, 2014
Lubbock Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if the river has any high currents you may push your search are radius further even heavy items can travel down river I would get someone to help ASAP

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Post a Thread in the "Metal Detecting" forum or go to "TreasureNet by Location", find your State and post a Thread in the appropriate forum for help.

Frank

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Shark has no discrimination, so it will pick up every nail and bobby pin. Are you dive certified? 7 feet of water is difficult to metal detect.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet could still help by removing many unwanted signals...add Tiger shark and Breathing apparatus etc... If you don't find it you may have found a new hobbie too spend a few K on...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's not salt water, the detectors that come to mind are the Fisher 1280x, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300 & Tesoro's Tiger Shark. the AT Pro is the cheapest of the lot but the head phones that come with the AT Pro are NOT submersible so that would be an extra cost.

If it is salt water, the Whites Beach Hunter ID 300 will still work well, Fisher CZ21 or Minlab Excalibur. The Fisher will be pretty pricey and the Minlab even more so if you're just looking for a one time use. Still, either should resale fairly well if it's still like new.

Or... you could hire someone with a detector & experience to find it for you!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not salt water, the detectors that come to mind are the Fisher 1280x, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300 & Tesoro's Tiger Shark. the AT Pro is the cheapest of the lot but the head phones that come with the AT Pro are NOT submersible so that would be an extra cost.

If it is salt water, the Whites Beach Hunter ID 300 will still work well, Fisher CZ21 or Minlab Excalibur. The Fisher will be pretty pricey and the Minlab even more so if you're just looking for a one time use. Still, either should resale fairly well if it's still like new.

Or... you could hire someone with a detector & experience to find it for you!

Even if it's salt water we're talking about a one time thing to find a fairly large target, so a VLF would probably be the better tool because it would be a heck of a job digging everything at 7 feet with a pulse. The salt wouldn't matter much because even on low sense you'll get the watch... the key would be to make sure to set the disc where it would accept it. I'd probably buy an AT Pro because it will likely have the best resale value.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a avid water hunter and having owned a Rolex buy a used water machine and find it yourself then sell the machine, try that first,before telling a stranger where you lost a 8k watch, was it a Submariner?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its not a saltwater river then a Tiger Shark may work better, I am not sure, the Tesoro people will likely chime in.

7ft can be challenging, and 0 visibility can be challenging too. Don't give up, its doable and you'll probably find it quicker than you think

HA! You're in for a challenge! 7 feet deep.... too deep to wade and you have zero vis. You will have to get your coil directly over it and you have a LOT of square inches for it to be hiding in. I once dropped a bright orange camera in 4 feet of river with about 2 foot of vis. It took me half an hour to find it with a visual search, and I knew within a few feet of where it fell.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I hope ya all noticed that op is long gone.We all gave him good advice and hope the best for him but to post to him directly is kinda wierd.If he contacted the site I hoped he would....bam....a pro with the right equipment and expierience will be on the scene already.

I only mention this because I shudder to think that a guy who freely claims he has no clue is told what machine HE needs to hunt the deep channel of a river 7 feet deep.No visibility.

Lets just recommend that he drain the river....same chance of success.Guys and gals...is anyone here really that willing to send a no nothing fellow into a dangerous scene like that?

Let the pros do it....pros like you all....that is what say I...what say you?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recomend you go to,"theringfinders.com"and contact the recovery guy in your area right away.most of us work on a reward only basis and it is the expierience that makes the find...not just the machine.Time is critical...call right away and best of luck to you

Or contact "lostmystuff.net" They don't charge for recoveries.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oops double posted....I should let the pro typists do this....lol

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if it's salt water we're talking about a one time thing to find a fairly large target, so a VLF would probably be the better tool because it would be a heck of a job digging everything at 7 feet with a pulse. The salt wouldn't matter much because even on low sense you'll get the watch... the key would be to make sure to set the disc where it would accept it. I'd probably buy an AT Pro because it will likely have the best resale value.
All the ones I mentioned ARE VLF's! But I agree with the ATP choice, but guy is still gunna need a different headset.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread