Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandon and I were out detecting.. I found this weird coin which I like a IDIOT came home and tried to clean it...STUPID STUPID MOVE.. there was what looked like a W in the middle of it..and the date of 1822..it sparkles like gold... the edges are roughish... and I RUINED IT cleaning it with a brass brush.. Now I am trying to take a picture that is clear enough to see.. so bear with me till I get a good pix of this.. I put ashes on it to see if I could see the imprints better.. course I think I destroyed it.. SHOOT ME

its approx the size of a nickel, but tiny bit bigger ... waiting for the battery to charge up for the other better camera...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to see some pictures of copper coins that are clear.. still kicking myself in the butt... whoda thunk? I'd find something that old..

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
PACO once found a really small copper coin in a field where large cents and a King George III copper were found. There isn't any detail left on it, but it is definitely a copper.

Kyle

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zoyboy, before I messed it up... there looked like a W in the middle of it..with writing all around it and symbols...omg I could kick myself.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a teensie bit bigger then a nickel..I put one ontop of it.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Bootybay said:
Zoyboy, before I messed it up... there looked like a W in the middle of it..with writing all around it and symbols...omg I could kick myself.

Don in SJ might know some more information on this one.

Kyle

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Miss Rae!
You and your new sidekick Mister Brandon are kicking some royal bootie! Lol!

I was hoping against hope the coin would turn out to be gold but gold is in the eyes of the beholder isn't it?
Certainly a great find nonetheless!!!

GRB

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir ree bob..I was hoping it was gold but I should of realized that it doesnt tarnish..god, what a rush I had ...but.. honestly I am thrilled no matter what, cause first off..Brandon got all excited about it.. and he had to stay to see me clean it ( destroy it duhhhh)... he was so cute, said he read real fast in the booklet to cut his plugs in a C design... see, he was reading it.... so thats great too..

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok Ray.. its the oldest thing I have found so far.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I dunno what it is, but what it definately ain't is gold. Thats copper of some sort, as I'm sure someone has already told you...... :)

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
Next time use lemon juice to clean copper. Use a tooth brush and keep a eye on how much the lemon juice is taking off. about 5 min than brush with tooth brush, then repeat. works great. Do not use this on coins that you can read, only if they are caroded beond reading or if you do not plan on selling them. Good luck and gold will never tarnish. It will always look gold.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well will do the lemon juice next time..but boy what a rush thinking it was gold.. as it sure looked nice n shiny but it is the oldest thing I have found so far as coins go so still its a cool rush for me..

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even thou I messed it up..your right..I am on cloud nine.. and so was brandon..he had to stay to see what it was..lol.. hes so cute..

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Dont' sweat it, it's still a great find. Glad to see you were able to get out there and try a few things and end with a successful find.

Even better, though, getting someone involved in the hobby and a Big WAY TO GO to all those that helped Sparkymaster deliver on the detectors to those in need!

I believe Sparky used the word Karma...... I think you just found yours!

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the bad news is, it's not gold. The good news is.. You didn't screw up a nice gold coin.

HIMMELAJ

Apr 12, 2008
berks, pa
I found one of these years ago, its from the netherlands.There should be a crown above the
W and the other side should have a crown above a shield.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread