Ingots of brass or bronze.... Any idea how old found a bunch of them along River bank

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg 25lbs each and looks real old..

Upvote 16
OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found out over a year ago when it was tested just didn't update post,and have returned to spot a couple times but river was at record drought levels and couldn't reach spot as it has been higher ever since. Cheers

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1236.PNG IMG_1236.PNG heres my kayak right near where the ingots were found king George's have been popping up in same area,some in great condition so maybe Ingots same time period?just a guess

nmtreasure

Feb 16, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found out over a year ago when it was tested just didn't update post,and have returned to spot a couple times but river was at record drought levels and couldn't reach spot as it has been higher ever since. Cheers

If it was me and there was a chance it could be valuable, i would at least get some snorkel or basic scuba gear. Good luck :confused::confused:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it to a grinder and after the crud was exposed a shiny brass/gold color appeared underneath.

I hope you didn't put that ingot on a bench grinder.
Bench grinder wheels are usually made for ferrous metals. Grinding a non-ferrous metal like brass or copper, will clog the pores of the grinding wheel and could cause it to virtually explode at high Tom's.
Very unsafe to grind non-ferrous metals on a bench grinder.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it to a grinder and after the crud was exposed a shiny brass/gold color appeared underneath.

Bench grinder wheels are usually made for ferrous metals. Grinding a non-ferrous metal like brass or copper, will clog the pores of the grinding wheel and could cause it to virtually explode at high rpm's.

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what type of grinder they used but it was a large scale scrap yard and I expect ,or at least hope to expect they knew what they were doing

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bench grinder wheels are usually made for ferrous metals. Grinding a non-ferrous metal like brass or copper, will clog the pores of the grinding wheel and could cause it to virtually explode at high rpm's.

I will agree with that metal powders can be explosive, but grinding them I would ??? that.

Bench grinders have approx. speed of 3500rpm which is slow compared to a hand held grinder at 11,000rpm

I/We used hand held grinders as do most yards in a spark testing, grinding medals, and the only time it was a slight issue was grinding Magnesium( just a pretty spark show). Now if there was a explosive factor to doing this it would be common knowledge within the industry and even in sorting rooms of brass the employees might do this hundreds of times a day, No problem.

The biggest hazard in doing grinding is debris flying into the eyes (safety shield/glasses always required) eyes contamination of metals (where the eyes have a contamination of metal particles stuck on the pupil) Respiratory tract is another issue (mask is recommended)
Have seen plenty of fingers getting a burn, grinding wheel scares, so leather gloves is a must.
Holes in pant legs/shirts from sparking towards the body.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins alone would have caused me the effort to somehow and go back and detect, detect, & detect, until someday when the water level goes "down". So OK, just now read this thread for the first time. Over 1 1/2 years? ANYTHING else found in the general area? OR, is this a "real" thread at all. Might it be "lets post a couple of bars, and see where the story goes just for fun type of thing". Anyway................

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure your trust the tester ?

Sheesh man... you are putting ALOT of faith in someone ELSE testing anything like that. IMO

I agree! I would take a bar to a Jewelry Shop and have it tested. Most have little interest in purchasing such a find and will likely give you an honest and trusted assessment of the composition of the bar. There are just too many businesses out there that have folks that will give false assessments in hopes of scoring a big return because the Finder/Seller is too trusting and naive. I am not saying you are either one but it is best to err on the non-trusting side when it comes to such finds.

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone back plenty of times and found many items over last few years it is a very large area " miles of shoreline".. everything from modern to 1744 and everything in between..I always bring my metal detecting when I fish and never fish without my metal detector

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0937.JPG heres just some of the relics I've found along the river bank or islands on the river... a lot of activity along riverbanks throughout history

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree! I would take a bar to a Jewelry Shop and have it tested. Most have little interest in purchasing such a find and will likely give you an honest and trusted assessment of the composition of the bar. There are just too many businesses out there that have folks that will give false assessments in hopes of scoring a big return because the Finder/Seller is too trusting and naive. I am not saying you are either one but it is best to err on the non-trusting side when it comes to such finds.

Simple acid test will do that, the belief or assumption what it is or isn't can be debated for ever. So simple this question will be answered by XRF Spectrometers
xrf.jpg
XRF Spectrometer

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used nitric acid already on it and confirmed copper with the color it produced IMG_1410.JPG heres the grinding spot it's a silver brass color underneath

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Got it tested at scrap yard he said it was brass. Hanging on to them for a while at the moment. Found 2 king George half penny's in same area one in great condition 1744.

Never...ever... take advice from a scrap yard. My offer still stands to have a small portion tested. I have testing equipment to determine exact karat value.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Used nitric acid already on it and confirmed copper with the color it produced View attachment 1553039 heres the grinding spot it's a silver brass color underneath

Just from your picture I can tell its a mixed composition. Send me a 1/2" long section of shiny material and it can be the thickness of a number 2 pencil lead. Use a chisel to chunk the piece out. I will test it and only reveal the results to you through PM. Please dont less this possibly life changing event pass you by.

Jeremy James
po box 381
FB, Ca 95437

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many did you find??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread