Ingots of brass or bronze.... Any idea how old found a bunch of them along River bank

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg 25lbs each and looks real old..

Upvote 16

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A point to ponder,

Probably 3 years ago a member here found a coral encased cluster of ship wreck coins, a good long thread on this. Turned out he'd found a shipwreck. And then people started following him, watching him. He's no longer posting here. He does come back at times and read posts. Got a like from him last year.

Looking at the nicer side of this thread, maybe they were all gold bars and he had to go underground.

Wouldn't that be a snort?

I would like to think that's what happened.

Hope he's out there somewhere reading this while lounging in his hot tub after a hard day waxing the Porsche.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well where ever BVI. Is i hope he is doing well and is ok.
even finding some cobs is awesome!

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it tested at scrap yard he said it was brass. Hanging on to them for a while at the moment. Found 2 king George half penny's in same area one in great condition 1744.

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG an update! :thumbsup:
Did you ever find more of the ingots?

Got it tested at scrap yard he said it was brass. Hanging on to them for a while at the moment. Found 2 king George half penny's in same area one in great condition 1744.

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no....long paddle to spot and river was super low at that time, giving it a try this summer if water low enough...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did the yard tell you what the brass was? Lots of different % of copper/zinc/tin variations.
Just saw this old renewed thread and I could see it was a foundry brass ingot with the porous looking surface.

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he didn't just tested it and said it was def brass.i think it is very old but hard to test that

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure your trust the tester ?

Sheesh man... you are putting ALOT of faith in someone ELSE testing anything like that. IMO

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was a reputable scrap yard and the color of the test spots showed a brass color,shiny too,and he offered me the going price for brass. I declined

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test "spots... ? Please elaborate if you can.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok I'm just going to say this about the scrap industry. After owning a yard and buying millions of dollars worth of non-ferrous metals I got a pretty good idea of how it all works.
The thing about yards is most run on this old thing called "I'll screw you-because you'll probably screw me" What does that mean? Well some peddler screwed the yard so the yard screwed over some other peddler to break even. This goes on and on-and it stopped at my gate when I opened.

You bring in this ingot, I'll tell you that it's brass and will pay you $X amount per pound. I will get it tested and that will determine the set price, and this will be done with a spectrograph analyzer.
It will tell you every % of what metals are in the ingot-nothing more-nothing less.
I made my living doing high alloys, and other rare metals. I had a customer base that trusted the finding of these tests.
The reason is that you own this metal till the payment and the sales invoice is done.
I wouldn't stake my reputation on one sale regardless of how many tons of these ingots you had.
Another thing, most yards hate buying ingots of anything, why? Well it is an end use for the manufacturing of a product, not scrap.
So the red flags go way up when somebody comes in with an ingot and claiming there may be more where it came from.
Ingots aren't just dumped as garbage, there's a history to them and believe it or not an ingot has what you could call a DNA.
What the Specro reads will tell exactly what metal it's made from-thus the purpose-and it's not a long time line of history for something like this so there a record someplace.

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok after reading this thread I officially have blue balls. I've never in 15 years of metal detecting not been able to find a site that I've been to. ��

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where it is but water levels of the river determine if I can reach it or not.it was a severe drought and exposed parts of the river usually inaccessible.i do expect to return again when river is low again,come august hopefully

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it to a grinder and after the crud was exposed a shiny brass/gold color appeared underneath.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds, hope you can sell them and make a small fortune! :3barsgold:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold bars coated in brass to hide them!!!!!!!

nmtreasure

Feb 16, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly find this thread rediculous.... you find metal ingots and wait 2 years to get them tested and never go back to try to get the rest?

Fine, the water levels need to be low. I would call into work when the levels are low and get the rest regardless, especially during a 2 year period????

Then you waited 2 years to cut into it to reveal a brass/gold color? Come on.... you are eithier really rich and dont care, full of crap or a complete fool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread