Ingots of brass or bronze.... Any idea how old found a bunch of them along River bank

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg 25lbs each and looks real old..

Upvote 16

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Slycer; Some thoughts. First, you said you filed it, sanded it and drilled it. That means there are shavings. Take the shavings and send them to the labs. Then you will get an ACCURATE detailed test result ending that Mystery. Second, SAVE "ALL" shavings. !!! Third, Do some research on the general area as to Civil War and Rev War Activities in the area. It is the Provenance that will definitely increase the values regardless of the metal content. Look for any battles or skirmishes. Go to that areas Library or even the Historical Society. Just DO "NOT" tell them why your doing the research ok. If after you do the research and you find some interesting details search EVERY person or Company involved either Civilian or Military. That will pin it down ok. Then you will have solid Provenance to bolster the values of these ingots.
On searching for that spot again use snorkeling with an underwater detector to relocate them. That buckle just adds to the Mystery because it speaks of great age. These ingots could have been intended for the making of bullet casings as well.
No matter what I believe is that it is now safe for ALL of us to Vote for BANNER As an "Ingots Cache Found" caption. My Vote goes in NOW. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
did you check for radioactivity? how far to the nearest nuclear facility?

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll find them...think back to what you saw beforehand along the banks. Don't sweat it.

Nice score on the buckle!

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback barker and comments from others I will take your advice and get it tested and will continue to search for the others..shoot for the stars and dream big friends

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those turn out to be old bronze/brass ingots they could be of value. There is a thread on here started by Alexandre about a cannon melted down, and platinum extracted from the bronze brass.........

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats exactly how treasure disappears and ledgends start!
Hope you can located the rest.

That's what a GPS is for, stop you losing places, as well as mapping finds.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Tried to find place but river was up and wasn't exactly sure where along bank others were... Will try again up river a bit ... Did find some more cool stuff today including an old buckle

As some old-timers would say, It moved!

:)
Geo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohm yeah, Lead is Lead. Wheel weights are not true lead but an alloy. There is no such thing as old lead. Lead is lead or lead mixed with an alloy. I cast my own bullets with 100% lead and 100% lead is not $45.00 a pound. I'm guessing you might have eaten too many paint chips with lead in them when you were a child. I could be mistaken but if I can sell lead at $45.00 a pound then I'm going into lead mining as a business !!!!
Google is your friend my friend. Type in low alpha lead. There's a few articles of wreck hunters finding lead bars in sunken ships that passed the tests confirming. Yup! You guessed it they're rich.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 Focus your attention on recovering ALL the rest.
#2 Put them away.
#3 Then worry about the composition etc etc.
It doesn't really matter what metal they are! What ever they are they have value! Make your recovery before your find turns into a treasure legend in someone's book.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piles of ingots, ingots of unknown composition, lost location, belt buckles, and fish.

sorry, just a very frustrating thread to read.

CanSlawKing

May 9, 2016
Longmont, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any updates? OP, please tell us you've at least been trying to recover the rest of those bars. Also, I would think that by now you at least have a positive ID of the bars' compsition. Very curious. Please update!

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any update to this. Hoping you went back and found the rest. And maybe got an answer and can end the mystery

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Slycer was last on Nov 21, 2016 02:35 AM

Why did I read this whole thread......

Well, I guess I did learn some things here and there in the thread.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Slycer was last on Nov 21, 2016 02:35 AM

Why did I read this whole thread......

Well, I guess I did learn some things here and there in the thread.

Man I just saw ittoo for the first time; I was shocked to read that we have some MDers here who never heard of low alpha lead. Makes me wonder if I am MDing wrong because I have metal bins for everything, as everything is of value in a good enough amount and I never wan to be the bloke who says man I bet I dug a ton of sinkers this year and not really know.

But back on topic if I would have found LOTS of 25 pound ingots of brass or lead I would be a very happy person. Very cool find I think and I am happy that someone bumped this old thread so I could read it because if I did not find it, then like many others I am happy someone did.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A point to ponder,

Probably 3 years ago a member here found a coral encased cluster of ship wreck coins, a good long thread on this. Turned out he'd found a shipwreck. And then people started following him, watching him. He's no longer posting here. He does come back at times and read posts. Got a like from him last year.

Looking at the nicer side of this thread, maybe they were all gold bars and he had to go underground.

Wouldn't that be a snort?

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A point to ponder,

Probably 3 years ago a member here found a coral encased cluster of ship wreck coins, a good long thread on this. Turned out he'd found a shipwreck. And then people started following him, watching him. He's no longer posting here. He does come back at times and read posts. Got a like from him last year.

Looking at the nicer side of this thread, maybe they were all gold bars and he had to go underground.

Wouldn't that be a snort?

So that's where BVI went to? I thought he just didn't come back after a hurricane went through his way

Would be awesome to get closure on this one. Really hoped they were dore bars and dude is rich now

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddjob, I know the feeling..used to dredge quite a bit in CA. Always lead in the box. I always thought that was good, as it showed I had the right settings, if it was trapping the lead, it would be getting the gold...

THEN, when playing around with an xrf, it figured out the lead was actually palladium. Talk about crying at how much 'lead' I had thrown over the side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread