Inscribed Celtic Gold Stater...Update....Full ID...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Hello everybody :headbang:

At last we managed to get out for a days hunting :) the day didn't start that good though :-\ a puncture on the Jeep put paid to a early start :-\ We finally got to a couple of fields we have been watching over the Winter, expecting them to have both been ploughed by now...they had but were both way to rough to detect :'(
We adopted plan B and slipped back onto the Roman Villa site, although this field has yielded pretty poor results this year, it always has the potential to give-up something SPETACULAR...today it did...for me :o

Celtic Gold Stater .....Corieltavi Inscribed Stater VOLISIOS DVMNOCOVEROS..AD 20-35... :o I'm still in shock, I couldn't post last night, due to a Computer Virus ???...and it didn't stop there :o

Michael chipped in with a broken Roman Silver, then a full one :o I plucked a cut half Hammered(long cross).. :headbang:

Then Michael had his find of the day...a Viking embedded coin weight :o :o (needs carefull cleaning) these are a quite rare item :o and fetch a few quid :wink:

Next it was me turn with a nice Roman Silver laying right on the top :o not quite sure yet of the ID, needs a bit of cleaning, I will update the post as time Goes on :icon_thumleft:

Anyway enjoy the pictures of our AMAZING 5 hours detecting the Yorkshire soil :notworthy:

Here is some imformation on Viking Coin weights :icon_thumleft:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explor...ects/cm/l/lead_weight_with_coin_of_ethel.aspx

SS

Attachments

• celtic gold 001.JPG
    celtic gold 001.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 4,234
  • celtic gold 018.JPG
    celtic gold 018.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 4,097
  • celtic gold 044.JPG
    celtic gold 044.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 4,592
  • celtic gold 030.JPG
    celtic gold 030.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 4,114
  • celtic gold 029.JPG
    celtic gold 029.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 4,133
  • celtic gold 028.JPG
    celtic gold 028.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 4,157
  • celtic gold 025.JPG
    celtic gold 025.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 4,161
  • celtic gold 015.JPG
    celtic gold 015.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,194
  • celtic gold 005.JPG
    celtic gold 005.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 4,239
  • celtic gold 003.JPG
    celtic gold 003.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 4,229
  • celtic gold 002.JPG
    celtic gold 002.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 4,327
Upvote 5
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Uniscribed Celtic Gold Stater...Update..

hammered said:
Thanks for the update Colin :icon_thumleft:, you have good fields there :laughing7:. I'm still working on the day we all hit some fields down here, should hear soon :icon_thumleft:. Don't forget the stove, I'll provide the sausages, you me shaun and Cru, on a 300 acre site, mixed arable + pig live stock, so the sausages should be great ;D, and the finds even better :laughing7:, hopefully :thumbsup:

ps. maybe you should put "MEGA" update in your title :laughing9:
:icon_thumleft:

Stove primed and ready....come on those fields ;D

SS
HISPAN said:
Is the most beautiful Celtic Stater I seen ever , and has a high degree of rarity . I VOTE BANNER!
I also really like the Roman coin of Trajan.The picture of you in the Roman field is very interesting. :thumbsup:
Greetings to Master! :notworthy:
H
Thanks Mate...but that's not me in the field....it's Michael :laughing9:

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf said:
Of course my knowledge of the coin is limited, but its still the nicest one I've seen, AND rare? wow :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Another vote
Thanks Jeff :icon_thumleft: trying to catch up with you and Josh, and the super finds you boys had last year :D

SS

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If ancient is the correct term, I just love those little ancient gold coins.

You have got extream age, rarity, and nice condition weather or not it gets on banner doesn't matter you know what you got, and that's all that really matters. Congratulations !!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good to see you getting back out SS. :thumbsup: And what a start your off too. :notworthy: You two may of had troubles getting started but the finish looks to have made up for it. :headbang: Banner!
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

very nice! my dream is to detect in England some day.absolutely amazing! BANNER! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
If ancient is the correct term, I just love those little ancient gold coins.

You have got extream age, rarity, and nice condition weather or not it gets on banner doesn't matter you know what you got, and that's all that really matters. Congratulations !!
Thanks :icon_thumleft:...not many of the Uniscribed Staters come from my area :o so it a shock to see it lying there :o

SS
allen said:
plan b really paid off nicely with that banner gold !!!
Thanks Allen :icon_thumleft:
Timekiller said:
Good to see you getting back out SS. :thumbsup: And what a start your off too. :notworthy: You two may of had troubles getting started but the finish looks to have made up for it. :headbang: Banner!
Take Care,
Yes it makes up for the long wate Pete :icon_thumleft: good to hear from you :icon_thumleft:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

just pressed the banner button, although I thought it a no brainer until now, so now added to the count :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
just pressed the banner button, although I thought it a no brainer until now, so now added to the count :icon_scratch:
Seems like only one Brit allowed on the Banner, at a time...hence the reason your post never made it :-\

SS

yo6oej

Aug 23, 2008
Toplita , Romania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Pro Pointer / Detech EDS Plus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o A celtic gold stater....uh...great great find....congrats "silver searcher" :hello2: BANNER !

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic digs Colin!!!Banner vote for sure!!Your post is right up there with that spur that Hammered posted the other day :thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Please reconsider this finding, is exceptional and deserves a Banner ..... :'(
H

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS,
I don't know what to say buddy :icon_scratch: . I often wonder about how things work on here. :dontknow: Just for example.I get up at the crack of day hook the boat up burn gas in the truck drive 45 min or so put the boat over burn more gas plowing up & down the river all day tying to find the oldest stuff possible for here.Pull the boat back up drive back home make a post get a few replies & look at other post that have 30-40 replies about a hand full of clad coins. ??? Makes me wonder is it ME or should I had stayed here in my back yard looking. :D But what can you do. :dontknow: That's just not my style of hunting so I'll stick with it but gotta say it makes me say hummm
Take Care,

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
Fantastic digs Colin!!!Banner vote for sure!!Your post is right up there with that spur that Hammered posted the other day :thumbsup:
Thanks for the vote and the reply :icon_thumleft: but it's not getting there now :dontknow: I think I have to go and find King Arthurs Sword Excalibur, or the Chalice which Christ drank from :laughing9:

SS
Timekiller said:
SS,
I don't know what to say buddy :icon_scratch: . I often wonder about how things work on here. :dontknow: Just for example.I get up at the crack of day hook the boat up burn gas in the truck drive 45 min or so put the boat over burn more gas plowing up & down the river all day tying to find the oldest stuff possible for here.Pull the boat back up drive back home make a post get a few replies & look at other post that have 30-40 replies about a hand full of clad coins. ??? Makes me wonder is it ME or should I had stayed here in my back yard looking. :D But what can you do. :dontknow: That's just not my style of hunting so I'll stick with it but gotta say it makes me say hummm
Take Care,
I remember the Spoon mould you found Pete, it took a while to get up top..couldn't understand that either :icon_scratch:
HISPAN said:
Please reconsider this finding, is exceptional and deserves a Banner ..... :'(
H
Don't worry about it Hispan, me and you both know :wink:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Uniscribed Celtic Gold Stater...Update....Full ID...

:hello2:

I now have the full ID of the Gold Stater... :icon_thumleft:

Corieltauvi Tribe Gold Stater inscribed VOLISIOS DVMNOCOVEROS 35 - 43 AD. Van Arsdell 988-1. Dumnocoveros, son of Volisios, may have been king of the Parisi, Brigantes or Corieltauvi.

SS

Attachments

• mgsp 019.JPG
    mgsp 019.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,718

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Nice one mate :icon_thumleft: