Irritating YouTube habits

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess trying to include youtube videos in the research of any subject can be trying to say the least. If you are watching it for entertainment then what do really expect? I don't watch television for a lot of reasons one being most of the shows are stupid or think you are stupid and commericials one after another can drive you crazy. I can understand youtube being the way it is and take it all with a grain of salt. It does bother me if you search a subject and there is one close and the rest are so far off it makes you think you typed something wrong.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never subscribe nor do I have a log in for YouTube. Occasionally I will search a specific model detector on Yahoo or Google to see what video's are available. Many times I get turned off by the intro, especially when the video starts with them driving to the site as they are talking to the camera.

My passion is detecting, no need to document my hunts with a video I just take a pic of all finds and one of the keepers . I rather live my life than record it on video, my choice and preference. :thumbsup: I am on camera enough like when I am driving through town, shopping etc, cameras are everywhere. I am not opposed to posing for a group picture or an occasional photo though.

I have some friends that do post a video every now and then. I really enjoy those videos because I know them and feel like I am right there hunting with them again. The wife bought me a Go-Pro set up for Christmas because I mentioned that I wanted a video camera to record some air tests. I recon she thinks that all MDers record their hunts and post them. :dontknow:

I own a few detectors and multiple coils. I have 5 coils for the F75 alone (fisher and aftermarket coils). Recording the tests with the TID in the picture will allow me to analyze tones & TIDs at multiple depths for different targets. I also want to document recovery speed, nail board tests as well as air tests. I thanked her for her thoughtfulness concerning the Go-Pro, but a couple weeks later we gave it to the daughter for her birthday, she plans on using it when she runs marathons and her travels overseas. I am getting a nice inexpensive camera and tripod which will better serve my needs.

I may not like the music Calabash-Digger has as his intro, but I do like to watch him testing detectors in his test bed. There are a few people online that I respect for their opinions and reviews. I also want to give a shout out to TheHunterGT, I do watch everyone video he posts. I just love watching his wife kick his but on every outing and he does some nice unboxing and reviews.

Seldom do I watch a video which has no text intro or pictures of their finds when they post in "today's finds". Call me old school, but I enjoy reading and getting an understanding of the poster's personality through their choice of words and how they express themselves. Many times you can see just how stoked they are from the days finds from their post.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is mainly about the videos themselves, but Dave hit on the Pet Peeve for me!

On this forum or any others I participate in I will not click on a thread that just has a YouTube link!!

If they are trying to drive views to their site they should at least put in the effort to share a few still pix and some text as to what the hunt was about.

Threads with a good story and pictures get far more attention then some plain YouTube link!!!

I gotta disagree with you there. Think about it. If you post pictures of what you found, then who's going to bother to click on the video? A short description of what the video is about is helpful, but posting pictures of finds takes away the power of the video, and some people spend a significant amount of time making these videos. It should be understandable that they want them to be seen after putting in all the work.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about people asking for "donations" with Patreon? Do you really think I'm going to pay to watch you metal detect? Not gonna happen.

I enjoy Aquachigger's videos, but he has a lot of nerve asking for donations. He is obviously well off financially, so looking for handouts is tacky, to say the least. He has a nice home, lots of land and travels to England to metal detect! And you want me to give you more money? Get real!

You realize that he is providing you, plus almost a million others with FREE entertainment? Entertainment that he works hard to provide for you? And what makes you so qualified to make these remarks on his financial state? Look if you don't want to donate, that's fine. Just keep enjoying his videos and quit giving him a hard time based on what you think his situation is.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta disagree with you there. Think about it. If you post pictures of what you found, then who's going to bother to click on the video? A short description of what the video is about is helpful, but posting pictures of finds takes away the power of the video, and some people spend a significant amount of time making these videos. It should be understandable that they want them to be seen after putting in all the work.

For me, l like pictures. It's like the highlights of the hunt. I like sports but these days just show me the highlight reel. I don't usually waste my time (except late winter nights) unless I see a picture of a find I'm interested in. Just a text with link and odds are I'm not going to click. No pics or text - no click.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I re-read this whole thread. LMAO! <wipes tears>

I'm a grump at times.

Probably why I like comedians George Carlin (rip), Bill Hicks(rip), and Doug Stanhope.

Can't wait to see the fresh crop from 2017. :coffee2::laughing9:

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, l like pictures. It's like the highlights of the hunt. I like sports but these days just show me the highlight reel. I don't usually waste my time (except late winter nights) unless I see a picture of a find I'm interested in. Just a text with link and odds are I'm not going to click. No pics or text - no click.

That's fine and all, but YouTubers want to get as many people on their videos as possible. If that means that a few people, such as yourself, aren't happy because of no pictures, then that's just how it goes. I still believe that the majority of users here will be intrigued by a short description of the video and that majority will be more inclined to click the video if they are left wanting to see more. It's not that these YouTubers want to manipulate you, it's not that they don't care (although I have seen a lack of effort to respond by some), they just want to get their videos in front of as many eyes as they can. You would too if you knew how much work goes into making a video!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fine and all, but YouTubers want to get as many people on their videos as possible. If that means that a few people, such as yourself, aren't happy because of no pictures, then that's just how it goes. I still believe that the majority of users here will be intrigued by a short description of the video and that majority will be more inclined to click the video if they are left wanting to see more. It's not that these YouTubers want to manipulate you, it's not that they don't care (although I have seen a lack of effort to respond by some), they just want to get their videos in front of as many eyes as they can. You would too if you knew how much work goes into making a video!

A brief description and a single picture as a "tease" would go a long way to getting me to click on a link.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vertical Video...

SCdigger

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A brief description and a single picture as a "tease" would go a long way to getting me to click on a link.

Sure, but I don't think these guys are asking for a teaser. I think they're looking to get the whole story in photos.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of these youtube videos are very BAD for new detectorist, case in point, there was one guy in a park, with a shovel digging a crater in the lawn, the quickest way I know of to have a park etc. shutdown to metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread