Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plan of the Pit mine tour sounds good . The only difficult in this plan , is to dig/find a small cave facing north .

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plan of the Pit mine tour sounds good . The only difficult in this plan , is to dig/find a small cave facing north .

Not that hard. Since it's all BS anyway we can call a tree a cave and get away with it. The Dutchman lied about it and so did those that told the story so anything can be whatever you want.
Just tap your Red Booty Slipper heels together three times and say "There's no place like the Dutchman's Cave, There's no place like the Dutchman's cave, etc." then just follow the yellow brick gold. That Dutchman, the old gizzard of Oz!

If I, was King of the Fooooreeesssttttt! We're off too see the Gizzard the wonderful Gizzard of Oz! If I only had a stone map heart...wait, it takes a brain to decode the stone hearts...got any straw?

Sounds like a made for action Waltz-Disney story! Now if I just had the Courage, the brains, and the heart to go after it, sigh..., oh well, it'll be there always because true fantasy never really dies!

We truly need a theme park up there. Ore cart rides and Curly's Gold. Damn City Slickers!

Who would play Grace Landis?

Jessica Alba!

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill

It's not all BS , just you are in the wrong place . Only the Wizard of Oz could make the Pit mine to become the LDM .
Also ,at the Pit mine you can take a picnic in a miner's manner with Grace Landis and champagne .

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely.

Miner's Manners Matter. ????

Has relation with what wrote Bill in another thread yesterday : " The Dutchman, if he knew Holmes, would have surely told Jacob where he could go for pleasure. After all, he was a Miner! "

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that hard. Since it's all BS anyway we can call a tree a cave and get away with it. The Dutchman lied about it and so did those that told the story so anything can be whatever you want.
Just tap your Red Booty Slipper heels together three times and say "There's no place like the Dutchman's Cave, There's no place like the Dutchman's cave, etc." then just follow the yellow brick gold. That Dutchman, the old gizzard of Oz!

If I, was King of the Fooooreeesssttttt! We're off too see the Gizzard the wonderful Gizzard of Oz! If I only had a stone map heart...wait, it takes a brain to decode the stone hearts...got any straw?

Sounds like a made for action Waltz-Disney story! Now if I just had the Courage, the brains, and the heart to go after it, sigh..., oh well, it'll be there always because true fantasy never really dies!

We truly need a theme park up there. Ore cart rides and Curly's Gold. Damn City Slickers!

Who would play Grace Landis?

Jessica Alba!
Amigo,:coffee2:Great analogy, I guess you will continue with the story of TOTO being snake bit while trying to get the cactus off his face. One good thing is for the fantasy story and the theme park you wont have to look very far for plenty of flying monkeys,in that area especially:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:Please continue:hello:NP:cat:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Joe Ribaudo[/QUOTE]

joe...the one on top is what most low to medium grade gold ore looks like in arizona....the bottom of course is high grade...note the top one is red...alot of iron .. good signs when looking for gold ore...but when you get the manganese in the ore the gold usually goes up considerably (the bottom pic)...most of the really rich ore around the superstition mountains will have the manganese in it...manganese is very high up on the electromotive scale so gold is naturally attracted to it...the reason the black queen mine (part of the mammoth faultline) got its name is because of the high manganese content

Last edited by a moderator:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
joe...the one on top is what most low to medium grade gold ore looks like in arizona....the bottom of course is high grade...note the top one is red...alot of iron .. good signs when looking for gold ore...but when you get the manganese in the ore the gold usually goes up considerably (the bottom pic)...most of the really rich ore around the superstition mountains will have the manganese in it...manganese is very high up on the electromotive scale so gold is naturally attracted to it...the reason the black queen mine (part of the mammoth faultline) got its name is because of the high manganese content

Dave,

The following picture is of a manganese deposit we found in the middle of a large triangle of brush, that we had to get on our hands and knees to get to. In some places, we had to cut our way through the brush. I was told the sample we brought out was manganese by a friend who hunted golds mines in South America for large mining companies. He knows rocks.

Thanks for your reply,

Joe

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Not knowing $#!t about rocks, I wonder if these two pictures are of the same type of ore:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Very nice ore in the bottom photo, may I ask where it came from? (Not TOO specific of course) Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing the photos!

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Neither of the pictures are mine. I believe the bottom one was posted by Dave. I doubt he will tell us where it came from. The top picture is from original pictures of the Kochera Ore, taken by the man who showed them to me and let me make copies.

I have no idea where the ore in the bottom picture came from, but the man who took the Kochera Ore pictures told me he "knows" they came from the Pit Mine.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

Neither of the pictures are mine. I believe the bottom one was posted by Dave. I doubt he will tell us where it came from. The top picture is from original pictures of the Kochera Ore, taken by the man who showed them to me and let me make copies.

I have no idea where the ore in the bottom picture came from, but the man who took the Kochera Ore pictures told me he "knows" they came from the Pit Mine.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

Well it won't hurt to ask Dave, and the same terms of course (not TOO specific, don't want to send herd of snipers to your site!) thanks in advance.

I have never found gold ore of that size in the Superstitions, only small stringers like this, which came from an area not too far from Rogers canyon, coincidentally:

IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0022.JPG As you can see all are small and not thick, have copper minerals present and some silver sulphide (Acanthite) so are certainly not from Jacob Waltz's mine.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Well it won't hurt to ask Dave, and the same terms of course (not TOO specific, don't want to send herd of snipers to your site!) thanks in advance.

I have never found gold ore of that size in the Superstitions, only small stringers like this, which came from an area not too far from Rogers canyon, coincidentally:

View attachment 1390281 View attachment 1390282 View attachment 1390283 As you can see all are small and not thick, have copper minerals present and some silver sulphide (Acanthite) so are certainly not from Jacob Waltz's mine.

Roy,

They may be small, but they are nice none the less. I still maintain that this picture looks like the same rock as the original Kochera Ore pictures:

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

They may be small, but they are nice none the less. I still maintain that this picture looks like the same rock as the original Kochera Ore pictures:

Take care,

Joe

If that is from the same source, then our mutual amigo Dave knows the site!

Side point here but in my opinion it is very possible, even likely that other shoots of ore and pockets must exist in that mountain range, which of course would fly in the face of the Wilderness Act. Small veinlets and stringers of gold ore, sometimes quite rich, exist in the area surrounding Rogers canyon and extending almost to Iron mountain, although they seem harder to find and more scattered the farther away from Rogers one gets. Whether this is a hot clue to find Waltz's mine I sure could not say, especially as it is quite different from his ore (very tiny grains, epithermal type, high silver content) but even just as a prospector it is promising. Unfortunately the difficulty of getting TO the sites where the small veins are found makes it not economic IMHO.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Just picked up a book I believe you will find interesting. "Drawing Battle Lines: The Map Testimony of Custer's Last Fight" by Michael N. Donahue. Some of its contents are, Soldier Maps, Warrior maps and Civilian Maps. It's a "Collector's Edition" of 55 copies, signed and numbered.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

Just picked up a book I believe you will find interesting. "Drawing Battle Lines: The Map Testimony of Custer's Last Fight" by Michael N. Donahue. Some of its contents are, Soldier Maps, Warrior maps and Civilian Maps. It's a "Collector's Edition" of 55 copies, signed and numbered.

Take care,

Joe

Thanks Joe, I will have to get a copy. I did a quick check online and it looks like it will have to wait until after Xmas, but looks like it will definitely be helpful. Do you know if it has the original Lt Maguire map, the one which was ordered destroyed and altered maps produced to replace it? I have found ONE image of that map but it is far too small to use for the book. There are interesting differences between the original and the one used for the court of inquiry, like the size of the Indian village as one example.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I posted the photo. The photo is Wayne Tuttles. This photo I'm holding this piece. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481463523.922247.jpg
30 oz in this sample

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread