It be a great noreaster matey!

1Privateer

Oct 3, 2006
Eastern NC-Pirate Country!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Gtp 1350 Bounty Hunter Pioneer
It be a great nor'easter matey!

Wid de wind and de pounding surf a chest of treasure is bound ta be uncovered.

This storm has kept me pinned up like a new puppy and I'm itching to get out. At least it has provided some time to do some cleaning on my finds and research. I had a bunch of coins and other things I had found and needed to sort through. Many surprises once the dirt and all was cleaned off. One was a pocket watch that had been wrapped in some kind of waxy paper and put inside a foundation stone apparently by a drunk sometime in the past. A friend that does watch repair as a hobby thinks he can get it working again. Its really not in bad shape.

Also found a lot of coins, straight razor, and surprisingly a few foreign coins. This is family owned property that used to be a country store and homeplace. Both are long gone but the remnants of some of our ancestors are still there. The surprising find was an 1853 liberty quarter in remarkably good condition except for being darkened. Luckily this is a very sandy well drained piece of land that is basically worthless for any crops. It won't even grow pig weed. We planted some pine trees about five years ago and they haven't grown much at all. So, much of whats in the ground isn't damaged all that badly.

Hopefully this storm will wash some of the sand they rebuilt the beach with away and uncover some of the older stuff.

Hope to see some of you out there soon.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: It be a great nor'easter matey!

Congrats on the cool finds, sounds like you have a good place to hunt.

I understand the sand on the beaches took a bit of a pounding, I’m gona find tomorrow!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

AARRR! Lots of Luck Out There! Nothing like a little storm to liven things up! HH!

Joe

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Arrggh... The dunes be gone and many-a-house be close to washing out to sea...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

same here in delaware. there is only about 10 feet of beach in rehobeth. glad i dont own beachfront real estate!

OP
OP

1Privateer

Oct 3, 2006
Eastern NC-Pirate Country!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Gtp 1350 Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Re: Finds at the Old Homeplace

Actually I cheated a little on the method of retrieving the things around the store. My md was going nuts with all the bottle caps, poptops, and snuff cans. So, I took the tractor and plowed around the foundation about six feet at the time, made a sifter out of hardware cloth and got rid of the trash very quickly. Then the good stuff started showing up along with the trash. The good part is that I put the trash back down to help with the erosion that it was put there for in the first place. On muddy days we moved to the old home and what used to be the migrant worker camp. I was surprised at the number of foreign coins we dug. Most dated just before or after WWII. For the life of me I can't find anyone that remembers any immigrants in the area but there had to be some. At that time this was a very remote area and sparsly populated (15 miles from the nearest major population towns). The bad news is that my bil gets half so I can only hunt when he's here.

N

ncgold

their was a immigrant camp in Holly Ridge NC just inland form Topsail beach and worked all over Onslo and Pender counties Camp Davis I think

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread