The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again ... this day started out with a plan . I was to head down to Tims neck of the woods and meet him and Jeff at a restaurant . So when I arrived the two of them were filling there faces with a nice home cooked breakfast .....It looked good so I had to have some hash browns for a quick fix and then we just headed out to that field..... where we hoped to find the area that the Horse track had been. After a couple of hours and a few meager finds we headed back to the truck anddiscussed what we had missed or if we had the right area.

P9270005 Large Web view.jpg

So now that the plans have changed we decide to head down the road to an old cellar hole I noticed along the road on private property....asking permission was not a problem the people were very nice and let us detect without a problem .......but again we found nothing .......I happen to find a Silver buckle , but there was just to much garbage everywhere......!

P9290040 Large Web view.jpg

Now that we took a break and had something to eat for lunch , we now decided to head down to Allegheny county to hunt the farm fields that (Bob) the farmer and land owner gave me permission to hunt . This area has given up plenty of early colonial coppers, large cents and early Relics and Buttons. So with the day starting to get late and already 2:00 pm ....Tim decided to call it the day .......So rather than call it the day ourselves. Jeff and I decide to go to the Farm field and give it a go , and I am so glad I did because when we got there , no more than 10 minutes went by when I got this good hit down very deep. So I started digging.... the ground was still wet from all the rain we had so it made for some easy digging . I had dug down about 12 inches

P9280013 Large Web view.jpg

and as I swung the coil over the hole I now had a very nice sound and I just know this was going to be good........But what I saw on the next shovel of dirt was just amazing ....a large silver coin on edge, so I just called to Jeff " you have to see this" .......Now I never found a Bust Half so this was not only a first for me but a heart pumping find! An 1835 Capped Bust half I could not believe it.......

P9290022 Large Web view.jpg

P9290023 Large Web view.jpg

There are still coins here! They are deep but you never know when your going to hit them. Plus being only 30 feet from the road in an area that I really never gave much attention , surely surprised me with my first bust half! After all this I just have to do one thing .......and thats to thank Bob the land owner for the opportunity he has given me and my friends to hunt this very old area!

Thanks and Happy Hunting

The Seeker

Attachments

• P9290024 Large Web view.jpg
    P9290024 Large Web view.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6,685
  • P9290028 Large Web view.jpg
    P9290028 Large Web view.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6,635
  • P9280014 Large Web view.jpg
    P9280014 Large Web view.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6,529
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
John....what else can I say but that is a phenominal coin. Once again, I'm amazed at your finds. :o

I was waiting for my phone call Sunday morning.... ::)

Jeff....I hope Santy Claus brings you your Minelab with a big hula hoop attached....just like Seekers! ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
good for you seeker! that is an amazing find! i would have passed out!! :o

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Never give up on the day.
Coin value is around $55.00, coin added to your find collection - Priceless!
Nice coin, I found 3 bust dimes but nothing higher than them.

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Your never give up attitude netted you a great find.A beauty from the deep.
Congrats! Glad to see you're still getting out. Best of luck and HH!

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
John I should have known not to go home 2 weeks ago we hunted all day with nothing to show till I pulled out that half reale and then this week your half

Good Job I wont be going home next time :D

though next time its Jeffs turn

talk to you soon Tim

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find Seeker....I've been doing more researching than hunting latley,alot of 1700's place's around my area in Maryland,some 16's....Where do I start??......Sweet find!!!!!

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
:o Niiice snag seeker!! Been doing this nearly thirty years and still waiting on my first bust coin so kudos to you!! Lucky they didn't have to dig that hole another five feet and plop you in!!Probably would have stopped my middle aged ticker.You Really hit a milestone there!Congrats, Bootstrap ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome find!! ;D ;D

It's funny how many times Nate and I have gone to new places to try our luck only to stike out. We then just go back to the places that have produced and they still seem to cough up a couple. Man, when your sites cough up a couple they are real head turners! :D :)

Bob

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
You can say that again. That's a real beauty Seeker.

I'd love to find one of those myself. Gonna take alot of years to find one. But one day I hope. You got alot of great old spots in your neck of the woods.

To bad I'm in the city. Farm lands are where you want to be. P.a has alot of them. Hard to find the time to get out of the city and check though.

HH Jer

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Capped Bust half. The Draped Bust coins were last produced in 1807.

FANTASTIC find... looks like you have a real field of dreams, there!
ThumbsUp.gif

Here is a Draped Bust half. Just one I happened to be selling- I didn't dig it, though a friend did dig one in a park around here. You're only the second person I know of who's dug a Capped Bust half. That would make my year.

viewfile.cfm

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lordmarcovan said:
That is a Capped Bust half. The Draped Bust coins were last produced in 1807.

FANTASTIC find... looks like you have a real field of dreams, there!
ThumbsUp.gif

Here is a Draped Bust half. Just one I happened to be selling- I didn't dig it, though a friend did dig one in a park around here. You're only the second person I know of who's dug a Capped Bust half. That would make my year.

viewfile.cfm

Thanks for the info........It is greatly appreciated! You would think I would know the difference after finding those draped Bust large cents.....I guess with all that excitement (Draped or Capped) they both would look good to me!

All I know is when I saw her , I knew it was a great find !!! ;)

Thanks again

The Seeker

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good one! Wow and WOW!

HH,