• civilwar%20012.jpg
    civilwar%20012.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 3,663
Upvote 0

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
you cant really judge anything by a picture,,,,the cs oval is to me questionable, again the "c" and "s" sends up a big red flag,,,,with that said, i'm no bill gavin, sid kirksis, mike o'donnel or steve mullinax, but i have seen enough of these things over the years, and i have done my share of research. again i would like to see the back of this plate, im hoping its not lead filled. if you look at kerkis's figure 271 and mullinax's plate 126 and 127, its close, but not close enough for me to be convinced. i hope im wrong but my gut is telling me "handover brass"

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
6 figures for this collection?? It's fair to challenge me on that assessment. I don't take offense. I admit it comes from somewhat being shocked by the sight of all the relics but it is based on a couple of things:

1- the lister said "These are just a few of the relics. I have a lot more."
2- a collection of buckles of this type is worth more than individual ones. I snoop around the net looking at prices for this type of thing and it is hard -if not impossible - to find more than a couple
3 - there seems to be some non-common types in the bunch.
All this adds to the value.

So when all is said and done, would the insurance/replacement value of all the relics be in excess of $100,000. I think so. Just too many items that are hard to find these days. Could an auction price for the group fetch over $100,000 on a good day with several interested bidders. I think so.

I stand by my estimate. If I've missed it, I've missed it but i don't think so.

Daryl

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
WOW! I knew we had something good but not that good. As far as the other stuff, there is a belt plate with a v s on the front and kinda spaced far apart for some reason. The vs is not fancy, just block like letters. there is also two swords in very good condition. I cant post those pic now, but I will when I get home from work. Thanks for all the comments.

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
what is interesting to me is this, none of the loops of any of the belt plates are bent, both the wreath and spoon were found together, no visibile wear on the high reliefs of the wreaths and spoons, what appears to be the back of an atlanta aresenal type, the hooks are present and almost too perfect. i enlarged the va. two piece and again no visible wear on the two figures in the center of the plate. i think these plates are almost too perfect to have been dug. no bends, no twist, no wear,,,,,,,,,the va. shoulder belt plate, there is no patina in the engraving on the plate, you have a couple of different colors on the plate, but where it is engraved, none, the engraving stands out way to much to be real,,,,im not gonna jump on the band wagon with this,,,,,ive already gotten a couple of emails concerning these plates and none are positive,,,,,the shoulder belt plate, i would have to bet my you know what, that its a fake.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RKinOI said:
WOW! I knew we had something good but not that good. As far as the other stuff, there is a belt plate with a v s on the front and kinda spaced far apart for some reason. The vs is not fancy, just block like letters. there is also two swords in very good condition. I cant post those pic now, but I will when I get home from work. Thanks for all the comments.

JEBUS man, I renig on my doubt. I can't wait to see a pic of this entire collection together. If authentic, sold as a collection, I have to agree this has the potential to reach the 100K mark. Unbelievable!!

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
I have blown up your photos and studied these "plates" in detail.
Based on what I see,they are all modern reproductions.
Please have them looked at for other opinions.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news......B.H.

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
B.H. said:
I have blown up your photos and studied these "plates" in detail.
Based on what I see,they are all modern reproductions.
Please have them looked at for other opinions.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news......B.H.
i have to agree with this post, applied patinia, and probably grind marks on the back,,,,,without a doubt, handover brass

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congradulations! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: I have no reason to think that they are not real myself.I know for a fact that Kinston has enough CW history to support these finds and if he found them years ago as stated all the more reason to think so.Back when the getting was good.Maybe when places were not off limits.I don't know much on CW items but do know they are found around are area quite often as I know people who are in this stuff and have very nice collections like yours.So saying that I have to think these are real. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Timekiller!
Ps I will agree better pics. would help as when I try to look at them blowed up they pixellate I can't see nothing.Not a computer wiz by no means but thats what I get tring to see them.Camera with good amount of mega pixels would help on the croping.

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know zero about CW plates, but I do know that no one can 100% authenticate or dismiss if a piece is real from a high quality digital photo, much less a cell phone photo. I have tried to enlarge the photos that were provided on this thread and they get way to pixelated to see anything. There has been and still are several discussions concerning the authenticity of items here on TNET that have only been viewed in photos. I really feel it is a little premature for anybody to be calling them fake. RKinOI, don't let anyone rain on your parade until you have them professionally looked at.

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
72cheyenne said:
I know zero about CW plates, but I do know that no one can 100% authenticate or dismiss if a piece is real from a high quality digital photo, much less a cell phone photo. I have tried to enlarge the photos that were provided on this thread and they get way to pixelated to see anything. There has been and still are several discussions concerning the authenticity of items here on TNET that have only been viewed in photos. I really feel it is a little premature for anybody to be calling them fake. RKinOI, don't let anyone rain on your parade until you have them professionally looked at.
im surprised that since youve admitted to knowing nothing of civil war plates that you would even respond. this post on treasure net has generated a ton of conversation, it the last hour i have received 17 emails concerning these plates, i wont mention names, but 2 emails came from guys who have written books about civil war relics, and other emails have come from guys who deal in this stuff every day,,,,,,,trust me on this or better yet, take this to the bank,,,,there will never be an article written in north south trader concerning this plates. these plates may fool the novice, but to people who deal in this plates and the serious relic hunter,,,they wont pass muster,,,these plates are fake, without a doubt they were produced by handover brass,,,,,and within time, they will hit ebay and some poor fool with buy one these,,,,,

B.H.

Mar 8, 2006
Ace Basin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola and Troy Shadow X-5
usmc0351 said:
72cheyenne said:
im surprised that since youve admitted to knowing nothing of civil war plates that you would even respond. this post on treasure net has generated a ton of conversation, it the last hour i have received 17 emails concerning these plates, i wont mention names, but 2 emails came from guys who have written books about civil war relics, and other emails have come from guys who deal in this stuff every day,,,,,,,trust me on this or better yet, take this to the bank,,,,there will never be an article written in north south trader concerning this plates. these plates may fool the novice, but to people who deal in this plates and the serious relic hunter,,,they wont pass muster,,,these plates are fake, without a doubt they were produced by handover brass,,,,,and within time, they will hit ebay and some poor fool with buy one these,,,,,

I stand by my opinion..these are reproduction plates with an applied patina.
There is only one of each and all appear similar in wear.
I am a digger and these plates were not dug in North Carolina or anywhere else.
If the measurements were posted in mm's I'll bet they are all around 1 mm too small due to reproduction.
I can see where the Hanover Brass markings were on some of the plates,they have been ground off.
If you comment about these plates,please know what you are talking about.You can do more harm than good......B.H.

Attachments

• Coin 001 (2).jpg
    Coin 001 (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,460
  • Coin 002 (2).jpg
    Coin 002 (2).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,474

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B.H. said:
usmc0351 said:
72cheyenne said:

I stand by my opinion..these are reproduction plates with an applied patina.
There is only one of each and all appear similar in wear.
I am a digger and these plates were not dug in North Carolina or anywhere else.
If the measurements were posted in mm's I'll bet they are all around 1 mm too small due to reproduction.
I can see where the Hanover Brass markings were on some of the plates,they have been ground off.
If you comment about these plates,please know what you are talking about.You can do more harm than good......B.H.

Well then, I turn this thread over to you. You guys say you have the experience, so who am I to argue. I was just simply pointing out that it is impossible to make a positive ID and authentication on the quality of photos posted and the information given. You very well may be right, but I hope for RKinOI's sake you are wrong. :)

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Jarhead knows not what he says. Who can tell with the small pic that I have posted. I will try to get him to send better pics. I told him not to mess with them but he had already rubbed one of them with brasso. why would they be fake buckles sitting in the attic fo over 30 years.Ok this is the plan, Paw Paw figured out in the 70's that these would be worth a mint by 2000. He sticks them in the attic, dies and hopes his grandson finds them and sells them in a scam deal on ebay. I'm not saying Jarhead is wrong, Im not a pro. But I can say for sure these have been stored up for over 30 years.

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
handover brass does a great job in reproducing cs plates,,,but they slightly alter the dimensions and of course stamp their products,,,,this is done so some fellow out there doesnt buy a bunch of them, applies a fake patina, acid boil it and tries to pass it off as original and dug,,,,,,you cant hide grind marks and measurements,,,,these plates are FAKES and im moving on from this thread.

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Wow!! Here's an idea for you. Create small Exhibit and start to tour the south with these relic's and charge people to view them. If your collection is as big as it sounds you'll make a small fortune in the tour and then write a book on the item's. Then Sell them. Double your money I always say.

Nice Jackpot!!!

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
why no duplicates, why all perfect, why such bad pictures, patina is questionable even with the small pictures, poor pictures is a huge warning in it self, why aren't there other misc items, he had a special detector -"buckles only", (what brand is that?). where's the bend from being worn? why no better pictures as requested

heck there should at least be patina from slobber and drool.....!

i was excited in the beginning seeing the first group of pictures admittedly. but after reading a few posts of the authenticity being questioned-my vote prove there real then 'pile on the band wagon'!
if they were intended to be found thirty years later why didn't the guy bury them and leave a map? the patina would be better.

i hope they are not reproductions. but the guys that warn us of them being such are knowledgeable about fakes and thank heavens outspoken enough to help the innocent-beginner collector and the rest of the novice! that's why there's experts---duh!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
72cheyenne said:

Sure you can, anyone that really knows plates could certainly pick out a bad fake without the picture being perfect. Some fantasy CW belt plate fakes didn't even exist! Also... I know coin collectors who collect contemporary counterfeits and they can tell you the date most of the time just by seeing the other parts of the coin.

There's really just one thing I can tell you about those plates with absolute certainty, if they were real the poster would be able to leave a half dozen names of serious collectors who have already offered to buy them... and i'm guessing that's not the case. Word travels quick!

I was hoping they were real and this was going to be the lost CW treasure of the year, but unfortunately it's not looking that way.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand over brass in business for over 40yrs. Here are some of there work.After looking I still don't know nothing to say one way or the other with out some better pics.But good points have been made both ways I guess.Kinston does have alot of civil war history and can probably find these sort of things or at least possible.But I'm on the fence on this one with the pics. to go by.Pull out some colonial stuff from a cigar box and then I can compare. :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D :thumbsup:

http://www.hanoverbrass.com/
Sorry shoe box I mean! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread