Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
72cheyenne said:
I know zero about CW plates, but I do know that no one can 100% authenticate or dismiss if a piece is real from a high quality digital photo, much less a cell phone photo. I have tried to enlarge the photos that were provided on this thread and they get way to pixelated to see anything. There has been and still are several discussions concerning the authenticity of items here on TNET that have only been viewed in photos. I really feel it is a little premature for anybody to be calling them fake. RKinOI, don't let anyone rain on your parade until you have them professionally looked at.

Sure you can, anyone that really knows plates could certainly pick out a bad fake without the picture being perfect. Some fantasy CW belt plate fakes didn't even exist! Also... I know coin collectors who collect contemporary counterfeits and they can tell you the date most of the time just by seeing the other parts of the coin.

There's really just one thing I can tell you about those plates with absolute certainty, if they were real the poster would be able to leave a half dozen names of serious collectors who have already offered to buy them... and i'm guessing that's not the case. Word travels quick!

I was hoping they were real and this was going to be the lost CW treasure of the year, but unfortunately it's not looking that way.

You make a good point Iron Patch and thank you for explaining it the way you did. With my limited knowledge on the subject, I should have never posted in defense of them being real, but the only reason I did was I hate to see someone say "FAKE" with no explaination or photos of differences for our benefit of learning and what it is that they see. I have learned a lot from Tnet and will learn from this thread. I'll agree that there are many clues piling up against the authenticity of these pieces. I would still like to see quality photos, real or fake.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
72cheyenne said:
Iron Patch said:
72cheyenne said:
I know zero about CW plates, but I do know that no one can 100% authenticate or dismiss if a piece is real from a high quality digital photo, much less a cell phone photo. I have tried to enlarge the photos that were provided on this thread and they get way to pixelated to see anything. There has been and still are several discussions concerning the authenticity of items here on TNET that have only been viewed in photos. I really feel it is a little premature for anybody to be calling them fake. RKinOI, don't let anyone rain on your parade until you have them professionally looked at.

Sure you can, anyone that really knows plates could certainly pick out a bad fake without the picture being perfect. Some fantasy CW belt plate fakes didn't even exist! Also... I know coin collectors who collect contemporary counterfeits and they can tell you the date most of the time just by seeing the other parts of the coin.

There's really just one thing I can tell you about those plates with absolute certainty, if they were real the poster would be able to leave a half dozen names of serious collectors who have already offered to buy them... and i'm guessing that's not the case. Word travels quick!

I was hoping they were real and this was going to be the lost CW treasure of the year, but unfortunately it's not looking that way.

You make a good point Iron Patch and thank you for explaining it the way you did. With my limited knowledge on the subject, I should have never posted in defense of them being real, but the only reason I did was I hate to see someone say "FAKE" with no explaination or photos of differences for our benefit of learning and what it is that they see. I have learned a lot from Tnet and will learn from this thread. I'll agree that there are many clues piling up against the authenticity of these pieces. I would still like to see quality photos, real or fake.

The problem is there's so much garbage out there often times it does take someone with experience to set the record straight, and glad they do. As far as the posts I think the most important thing is being right in the end.

intimer

Jan 15, 2009
east tennessee
that's the thing about tnet. even if someone makes an id it is still in question and often corrected. even making crazy 'wag' guesses is great. often it spawns further investigation. the people on tnet make it the place to be for finding out about most anything....! just because it looks like a :duckie: doesn't mean it's so! proven over and over! :icon_shaking2: :icon_shaking2: :icon_cyclops_ani: :icon_cyclops_ani: :tard: :tard:

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
i tried to move on but i cant,,,,lets see the back of all the plates with a big clear picture,,,i dont care what the front looks like,,,,take a big clear picture of the back of each plate, again the front of the plate means nothing,,,,,with a big clear picture, i will point out to everyone why these plates are fakes,,,,,i just received an email where all the pictures have been englarged and cleaned up,,,,if the patina alone doesnt convince you the plates are fakes, the grind marks on the back will,,,,,,THESE ARE HANDOVER PLATES PERIOD. the va. shoulder plate is a terrible attempt at trying to turn a reproduction into a fake,,,,,,these plates didnt fool me and they sure havent fooled anyone ive talked to today,,,,i tried to give this fellow the benifit of the doubt,,,but i cant,,,,a post like his takes away from peoples endless hours in the woods,,,endless hours in front of the computer, studying the OR's, studying old maps etc., his post may have fooled some of you coin shooters but to a relic man he didnt come close,,,,,for thirty five years ive heard countless stories (and thats all they were) of grandma found this in the attic,,,grandpa bought this home from the war,,,,,,these things will end up on ebay, there is no way they'll ever find there way into a display case of a legit civil war show,,,,,some poor sap with no relic knowledge will buy this crap and really think he has something,,,i hate to be rough on the guy, but he's full of it, and if i wasnt 100 percent sure of myself, id never open my mouth,,,,,,for all you guys who jumped on the band wagon, you better jump off, because its people like you who get suckered into this kind of junk.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has gotten WAY out of hand. If I found a box in my father's attic with a bunch of CW relics, I would be terribly excited and post pics on TNET right away, as this guy did. I don't believe for a second that he has deliberately tried to trick us. Let's not start accusing people of anything of the sort.

RKinOI, take these to a reputable dealer and have them authenticated before you try and justify yourself anymore in this thread. I think the MODs need to close this for now until he knows for sure whether they are real or not. These attacks are not warranted and are frankly in poor taste.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I'm not sure how many people "jumped on the bandwagon." I think most of the posters were either posting or replying to posts that had the caveat of "if these can be authenticated." I think we all hope for the best with finds like this but wait on detailed pictures and the posts of those very knowledgeable before we go off the deep end for real. I think this is one of the good things about Tnet. You can post things and have people with more knowledge than you help you understand what you have.

As long as we all stay civil and communicate in a professional manner, it's all good. We are ALL here to learn, share, and enjoy.

Daryl

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
I'm not sure how many people "jumped on the bandwagon." I think most of the posters were either posting or replying to posts that had the caveat of "if these can be authenticated." I think we all hope for the best with finds like this but wait on detailed pictures and the posts of those very knowledgeable before we go off the deep end for real. I think this is one of the good things about Tnet. You can post things and have people with more knowledge than you help you understand what you have.

As long as we all stay civil and communicate in a professional manner, it's all good. We are ALL here to learn, share, and enjoy.

Daryl
:thumbsup:

Ryanneas

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2008
First, I do not post at T'Net but have been reading the posts on this site for over 10 years. A very good internet site. So my response has nothing to do with the fine job that the T'Net admin. and posters have done over the years.

With that said, I was lead to this topic from another forum, and based upon the comments, I decided to step up and give my opinion, which is based upon over 35 years of dealing in and collecting pre-1865 militaria, with a particular emphasis on Civil War-related relics, both dug and non-dug.

All of the accoutrement plates posted are modern reproductions. There is no wiggle room here, they are "fakes." The reason I use the term "fakes" is because the reproduction plates, possibly produced by the very reputable Hanover Brass company, have been artificially aged, with a potential intent to deceive by someone (not the poster who found them in this condition). Despite the artifical aging of the pieces, they are clearly, 100%, modern
reproductions. By simply sending this link to the number of reputable Civil War militaria dealers with webites, such as Shiloh Relics, Middle Tennessee Relics, Army of Tennessee Relics, Bull Run Relics, etc., they should all quickly confirm that all pieces are modern reproductions. Good luck digging everyone.

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Dang, Jarhead ease up you are going to bust a vessel. No he did not give them to me. He sent pics to me because he knows I like to detect and I'm always harping about C.W. stuff. All Jarhead does is bump his gums about something he knows nothing about. When I get home from work I will post better pics of the back of them all. If I am wrong then I apologize but If they are real then Jarhead might catch a hard time. Ease up dude. I do not stand to make anything from these relics. I just posted them for an uncle. If there not real then they wont be on ebay they will probably be back in the attic. Stop jumping to conclusions JARHEAD>

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Most interesting! Well, good luck to......whoever is right i guess. pretty cool pics either way I think.

relichunter777

May 15, 2009
clearwater,fl
Detector(s) used
xlt spectrum
i agree with bioprofessor, everyone calm down...pray to GOD this is real. this would be a blessing for anyone whom found this, trust me we are all learning some patience?? best of luck and GOD bless us all :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
OK J.H.we will see. What makes you suspicious? I said if I'm wrong I apologize.
Is it because I call you a Jar Head? Well I'm sorry. Just check back tonight and I will try to get closeups of the backs. If I am wrong you will be USMC again.

TimTrac

Jul 30, 2009
Spanaway Wa
Detector(s) used
Etrac and VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if they are real.. .I'm not saying they are or aren't. But if they are... Make sure uncle gets on the xmas card list....lol....

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Jackpot back pics

I was able to get my wife to e-mail the pics of some of the backs in a bigger pic.

Attachments

• civilwar%20019.jpg
    civilwar%20019.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,963
  • civilwar%20021.jpg
    civilwar%20021.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,976
  • civilwar%20045.jpg
    civilwar%20045.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,002
  • civilwar%20012.jpg
    civilwar%20012.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,997
  • civilwar%20013.jpg
    civilwar%20013.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,002
  • civilwar%20019.jpg
    civilwar%20019.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,945
  • civilwar%20056.jpg
    civilwar%20056.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,975
  • civilwar%20019.jpg
    civilwar%20019.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,976
OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
yo

Attachments

• civilwar%20013.jpg
    civilwar%20013.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,875
  • civilwar%20021.jpg
    civilwar%20021.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,861
  • civilwar%20019.jpg
    civilwar%20019.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,907
  • civilwar%20012.jpg
    civilwar%20012.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,907
  • civilwar%20045.jpg
    civilwar%20045.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,850
  • civilwar%20021.jpg
    civilwar%20021.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,864
  • civilwar%20045.jpg
    civilwar%20045.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,855
  • civilwar%20009.jpg
    civilwar%20009.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,906
  • civilwar%20012.jpg
    civilwar%20012.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,910
  • civilwar%20045.jpg
    civilwar%20045.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,843
  • civilwar%20021.jpg
    civilwar%20021.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,881
  • civilwar%20019.jpg
    civilwar%20019.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,891
  • civilwar%20013.jpg
    civilwar%20013.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,903
  • civilwar%20053.jpg
    civilwar%20053.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,868
  • civilwar%20021.jpg
    civilwar%20021.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,851
  • civilwar%20045.jpg
    civilwar%20045.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,848

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more comment and a question for the "experts" out there:

One of them is clearly marked J.S. Smith & Sons, New York. James S. Smith made belt plates prior to and during the war.

Question: Would repros or "fakes" have a genuine makers stamp on it, where they even allowed to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread