2.3 KB · Views: 3,663
Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If you can authenticate all these items and you want to sell them, they belong at a MAJOR auction house in New York. The ones where the buyer pays the premium. Not you. Also make sure you use their conservator. Don't try to do anything with them yourself. If their conservator screws up, you get paid. Don't put yourself at risk.

Daryl

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh My! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I know you did not dig them, but I still say banner!!

If that's not true treasure nothing is! :notworthy: :notworthy:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Very nice. I agree with the majority that you should contact the top Civil War auction house with this collection if your intention is to sell. If Civil War auctions work like other high dollar item auctions I've seen in the past, the seller pays a seller's commission and the buyer pays a buyer's premium, each in the 10% to 15% of hammer price range. Still, it is probably the best way to get top dollar for these items.

Of course you could always donate them to a Civil War museum :wink:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what an amazing collection .....sorry I'm just like everyone else I cant think of anything to say but wow you lucky SOB...... :icon_thumright: congrats

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know William Gavin personally. He is a very good friend and also wrote the "first" book on Civil War plates and accoutrement's. He knows his stuff and would be who I would contact. He lives in West Virginia. If you need some help getting in touch with him let me know.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Sorry it took so long to reply, I had to go wipe myself off in the bathroom. . .

W O W. My jaw literally dropped, first time ever, honest injun.

You have some amazingly beautiful relics there, and I know a great many guys near Kinston that would love to have that history pop out for them now.

Certainly don't do anything to clean them for starters, second, I also would advise putting them immediately into a safety deposit box until they can be professionally examined in a secure setting. There is the literal possibility that you ARE in the 6 digit range, so you want to be as safe as possible here.

Good luck with your amazing pieces of history there!!

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....If you have a lot more...........you can send one my way..... :laughing9: :laughing9:

Take your time and do your reseach...... like to see a pic of the entire collection...... :hello2: :headbang: :thumbsup:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Title "Jackpot" for this thread is spot on :o
I reckon, your Wife's Uncle's Father should be made an Honorary TNet Member:notworthy:

Mike

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW those are some nice relics there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usmc0351 said:
i enlarged the cs oval, and would be interested in seeing the back, the "c" and the serif on the "s" is questionable, mullinax's expanded version doesn't show anything close to this plate, and kerksis's plate book doesnt show an oval in any type with a double rope border,,,,,

I don't know CW plates, and have no books to compare, but what do you think of the corrosion? That blue-ish color I tend to think of as chemical type patina. I don't think in 10 years I've dug a relic with that color patina, has anyone else?

I hope this isn't a case of too good to be true, but will keep my fingers crossed and follow the thread to see what happens. If he was a digger and a collector there very well could be both authentic, and maybe not so authentic pieces.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
good greif what a haul --- once "proofed" as "real" by a reputible auction house --you should get some very serious money for those items**do not not try to be cheap and home clean or repair / fix -- in anyway whatsoever. --leave that to the "pros"

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
OH DEAR GOD SWEET BABY JESUES OF BETHLEHEM I WILL NOMINATE YOU FOR A BANNER A FIND IS A FIND I GOTTA GO CLEAN ME AND THE COMPUTER CHAIR UP AFTER THIS COMMENT

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
WOW. Banner! What a collection of civil war buckles :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:!

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Those buckles are amazing! If I had opened the box well lets just say that I would be sitting down for a very long time just looking at them and thinking about the history they represent and the men that wore them. Someone said there were 5 buckles? From your pics there are more than just 5. Please give us an update of what you discovered about these wonderful buckles and more pics please. And if you can a pic of the entire collection. This is banner all the way! :coffee2:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
HOLY CRAP!!! MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

If these are real you have hit the jackpot of all jackpots. Put them in a safe deposit box NOW. NOW. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200 dollars.

You are well into 6 figures. Way into 6 figures.

HOLY CRAP. MOTHER OF GOD!! Did I say that already. I gotta lay down.

Daryl

Nice stuff... but well into 6 figures? He has 8-9 buckles... worth 15K+ each? That's a bit of a stretch I would think. Still a very nice collection though.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HOLY MOTHER OF MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I died and gone to heaven. Beautiful Collection......Thank's for making me go out every weekend!!!!

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
well my friend you got problems I wish I had right now Unbelievable /Nice small fourtune there It would be worth talking to a high end auction house IE southeby's in nyc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread