OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
You wont get much help from the James family thats for sure. But having spent time with one distant member, and hearing stories from my own father. I would say you may be on the right track.

Hindsight is 20/20......... I have found that the James family is curious to know anything you can prove, although they seem to have a "self-taught" version of JJ's life among themselves that they add to from time to time, that version grows and varies depending on what you try and nail down as fact, and which direction you go. They are slow to accept anything new as fact, but some of them are not unwilling to learn something new about their beloved kin and what he really did during his lifetime opposed to the myth. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Hindsight is 20/20......... I have found that the James family is curious to know anything you can prove, although they seem to have a "self-taught" version of JJ's life among themselves that they add to from time to time, that version grows and varies depending on what you try and nail down as fact, and which direction you go. They are slow to accept anything new as fact, but some of them are not unwilling to learn something new about their beloved kin and what he really did during his lifetime opposed to the myth. :icon_thumright:

I myself am no authority on the man's life and accomplishments, but I have added another available lane of truth to the never-ending highway of misinformation online. It is only a fragment of JJ's lifetime, but it is a sure link to the Knights of the Golden Circle and Freemasons. Is it proof that he was a member of either society? NO, it is not, but it should definitely be stacked among the piles of circumstantial evidence. Did he live on past 1882? The evidence I have points to his departure from any known activity that would have involved the K.G.C. or O.A.K. in 1882. As far as I know, there is no physical proof of his existence on Earth after that year, but there is one hell of a lot of speculation, including my own.

View attachment 1675734

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I myself am no authority on the man's life and accomplishments, but I have added another available lane of truth to the never-ending highway of misinformation online. It is only a fragment of JJ's lifetime, but it is a sure link to the Knights of the Golden Circle and Freemasons. Is it proof that he was a member of either society? NO, it is not, but it should definitely be stacked among the piles of circumstantial evidence. Did he live on past 1882? The evidence I have points to his departure from any known activity that would have involved the K.G.C. or O.A.K. in 1882. As far as I know, there is no physical proof of his existence on Earth after that year, but there is one hell of a lot of speculation, including my own.

View attachment 1675734
It IS fun, tho...

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked for the snow to dissapear...it did. Now could we please have some sunshine and a mild wind to dry it all up? :laughing7:

mud.jpg

Won't be long and we will be able to get out there again!:icon_thumright:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
LOOKS LIKE HE LOST HIS TEETH!:laughing7: Not as good as the winking one.

I don't like Any Pictures of Cass...He's got to be one of the fugliest men to ever live. Creepy.

I doubt he chewed with his mouth closed, so Thanks for that at least Kentuck! lol!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked for the snow to dissapear...it did. Now could we please have some sunshine and a mild wind to dry it all up? :laughing7:

View attachment 1677153

Won't be long and we will be able to get out there again!:icon_thumright:

WOW...I'd ask for a lot of Strong Winds! Geez, that ground is soaked! You'd go up to your knees just walking in there.

Kace

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
He is misunderstood. These eyes are saying "You are talking about Americans killing Americans! are you ALL really that stupid"
cass eyes.png

COPPERHEADS were first known as PEACE DEMOCRATS!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"The Confederacy’s Signal Corps, devoted primarily to communications and intercepts, included a covert agency, the Secret Service Bureau.
This unit ran espionage and counter-espionage operations in the North. Late in the war, the bureau set up a secret headquarters in Canada and
sent out operatives on covert missions in Northern states."

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
We are covered with the white stuff again,,,,,,:BangHead:

However, it did get me to thinking of how much weather would have been a factor to the James gang and others. It would have had to weigh heavy in the planning I would think. They would have also had to hole up somewhere pretty cozy for the Winter months to avoid being sitting ducks. Makes me think about how much it could affect the timeline of the accused. ,after all, Winter took a lot of preparation just to survive in those days. That would have made a lot of motions to be detected I would think, especially if it involved outsiders. I suspect they would have had to find someplace with help that was unpopular to most people so they could be undisturbed during their Winter quarter time off periods. What do you guys think? Heard any tales?

L.C. :icon_thumright:

https://www.omaha.com/living/carvin...cle_4658f6ec-eddf-11e5-842f-df85a963c447.html

cold days.jpg

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1870, a blizzard struck northern Iowa and SW Minnesota dropping up to 16 inches of snowfall. I have to think of what it took just to survive such a thing even with good preparations and a healthy stockpile of grub to knaw on. Maybe that is when they all sat around and discussed what they were gonna do as soon as the weather let up just like we do. :laughing7: To stay in St Joe would have been pretty tough with the Pinkertons creeping around and pressuring people to talk. There certainly was an underlying reason why they never robbed a bank in Nebraska, and there is no doubt that they were welcome in Nebraska City. There would have been too many gawkers in and out of that place too as it was a hub on the trail West and a major river port. Jesse's friend Logan lived about 8 miles from town on a large cozy out of the way spread, but even there it would have been tough to stay for any extended periods without being noticed by John Law. I $u$pect they were in an out pretty quick when they came there, and I would bet that it was on a steamboat more than on a horse.:icon_thumright:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
We are covered with the white stuff again,,,,,,:BangHead:

However, it did get me to thinking of how much weather would have been a factor to the James gang and others. It would have had to weigh heavy in the planning I would think. They would have also had to hole up somewhere pretty cozy for the Winter months to avoid being sitting ducks. Makes me think about how much it could affect the timeline of the accused. ,after all, Winter took a lot of preparation just to survive in those days. That would have made a lot of motions to be detected I would think, especially if it involved outsiders. I suspect they would have had to find someplace with help that was unpopular to most people so they could be undisturbed during their Winter quarter time off periods. What do you guys think? Heard any tales?

L.C. :icon_thumright:

https://www.omaha.com/living/carvin...cle_4658f6ec-eddf-11e5-842f-df85a963c447.html

View attachment 1679355

I've heard that a lot of those guys were here:

"A Little History of Monegaw Springs"

The old buildings shown in the photos are accurate. I'm not endorsing the photo of the men as accurate. I didn't look at them that closely. This gives you an idea of what Monegaw looked like though. Lotta Space and Security.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not realize that was protocol. :laughing7:

On the JJ treasures thread a bunch of us took a lot of pictures that were found on Individual Online Sites, Pinterest, Magazines and Books on JJ...Most were Inaccurate and Misidentified. We spent time comparing them to Known Accurate photos of him.

I 'think' if I remember right, the photo of the men on the Monegaw site that I posted was one of them...I didn't look that close at it, which is why I didn't want to come across that I was saying it was JJ and Co. It Could be them...Maybe Not...There's way too much misinformation out as it is. I don't want to contribute to more BS, So I said I wasn't endorsing it as an accurate picture of the Youngers and James.

Look at Pinterest and See the 50+ Old Photographs of Different Men and The Contributors All Saying 'This Is Jesse James!' lol!

I posted the photos/article to give an idea just how Nice, Private and Protected that place was not only for the guys, but they could bring their families too. Plenty of Livestock, Game, Water and Wood for Heat....Coal isn't far away and the River is right there. Lots of folks farmed tobacco and no shortage of feed and shelter for horses around.

Its ruins pretty much now, but before the lake went in, although it wasn't its former glory...it was a very cool place where after hearing the older locals and my family who were close by tell about the town, it isn't hard to imagine what it was like back then...Folks Would Put Lanterns in their windows letting the guys know if it was safe to come on in and the caves around where they could stay til it was safe...Pretty Awesome History There. Lots of Descendants Still Around Monegaw.

Kace

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
On the JJ treasures thread a bunch of us took a lot of pictures that were found on Individual Online Sites, Pinterest, Magazines and Books on JJ...Most were Inaccurate and Misidentified. We spent time comparing them to Known Accurate photos of him.

I 'think' if I remember right, the photo of the men on the Monegaw site that I posted was one of them...I didn't look that close at it, which is why I didn't want to come across that I was saying it was JJ and Co. It Could be them...Maybe Not...There's way too much misinformation out as it is. I don't want to contribute to more BS, So I said I wasn't endorsing it as an accurate picture of the Youngers and James.

Look at Pinterest and See the 50+ Old Photographs of Different Men and The Contributors All Saying 'This Is Jesse James!' lol!

I posted the photos/article to give an idea just how Nice, Private and Protected that place was not only for the guys, but they could bring their families too. Plenty of Livestock, Game, Water and Wood for Heat....Coal isn't far away and the River is right there. Lots of folks farmed tobacco and no shortage of feed and shelter for horses around.

Its ruins pretty much now, but before the lake went in, although it wasn't its former glory...it was a very cool place where after hearing the older locals and my family who were close by tell about the town, it isn't hard to imagine what it was like back then...Folks Would Put Lanterns in their windows letting the guys know if it was safe to come on in and the caves around where they could stay til it was safe...Pretty Awesome History There. Lots of Descendants Still Around Monegaw.

Kace

It would seem to me that a, a spa of health-giving waters and blufftop views along a riverfront would have caught the eye of the Pinkertons pretty quick with all of those men known to frequent the spot. I would have expected them to lay low under the radar a bit farther West where they were not wanted so much for robbing locally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread