OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C., the black woman's name was Aunt Hanna McFerrin. Her husbands name was John. They lived in a "Negro settlement", I guess a sort of village of several houses. At one time, Cole Younger had stayed there and scratched his initials into a window pane with his diamond ring. People tried to buy that pane for many years and the day after Aunt Hanna's death the pane disapeared.
Aunt Hanna's daughter Missouri McFerrin worked as a cook at the Monegaw Hotel. Also living in the settlement was another daughter Mrs. George McDonald. George was called "Speedy". Another daughter was married to a malatto named Wes Brown. There was a son John Rod McFerrin. There were several Negros named Montgomery, who had been owned by a family named Montgomery. Several of them worked 3 miles south at Roscoe unloading boats at the docks on the Osage River. This was about as far upriver as the boats could go.
I don't know Aunt Hanna's sister's name but it should be noted she worked for the Younger family in Jackson County,MO.. Cole and his family lived in Cass County,MO., the County south of Jackson. The Younger's had a big family.
The Pinkerton agent that was wounded was Capt. Louis J. Lull. While in the Roscoe Hotel, either dying or getting well, his was visited by his wife Marion B. Lull and Wm. Pinkerton. After he "died", he was put in a coffin, loaded into a wagon and hauled to Clinton,MO., placed on a train to Chicago. There a Masonic funeral was held with burial in a Chicago cemetery. Sorry I can't find it now but somewhere I found where Lull had also been buried back east (PA.?) many yrs later. The Dr. that treated Lull was Dr. D.C. McNeill of Osceola,MO. who had been a surgeon during the Civil War. There were also 2 other Dr.'s who treated him so he had the best medical care available in the area at the time. Dr. McNeill talked to a lawyer about what could happen to him if he said a man was dead when he wasn't. The lawyer told him that Dr.'s sometimes made mistakes. He had to say that Lull had died as the Younger's and their supporters had vowed Lull would not leave St. Clair Co. alive. Hope this answers your questions. Good luck.

L.C., the black woman's name was Aunt Hanna McFerrin. Her husbands name was John. They lived in a "Negro settlement", I guess a sort of village of several houses. At one time, Cole Younger had stayed there and scratched his initials into a window pane with his diamond ring. People tried to buy that pane for many years and the day after Aunt Hanna's death the pane disapeared.
Aunt Hanna's daughter Missouri McFerrin worked as a cook at the Monegaw Hotel. Also living in the settlement was another daughter Mrs. George McDonald. George was called "Speedy". Another daughter was married to a malatto named Wes Brown. There was a son John Rod McFerrin. There were several Negros named Montgomery, who had been owned by a family named Montgomery. Several of them worked 3 miles south at Roscoe unloading boats at the docks on the Osage River. This was about as far upriver as the boats could go.
I don't know Aunt Hanna's sister's name but it should be noted she worked for the Younger family in Jackson County,MO.. Cole and his family lived in Cass County,MO., the County south of Jackson. The Younger's had a big family.
The Pinkerton agent that was wounded was Capt. Louis J. Lull. While in the Roscoe Hotel, either dying or getting well, his was visited by his wife Marion B. Lull and Wm. Pinkerton. After he "died", he was put in a coffin, loaded into a wagon and hauled to Clinton,MO., placed on a train to Chicago. There a Masonic funeral was held with burial in a Chicago cemetery. Sorry I can't find it now but somewhere I found where Lull had also been buried back east (PA.?) many yrs later. The Dr. that treated Lull was Dr. D.C. McNeill of Osceola,MO. who had been a surgeon during the Civil War. There were also 2 other Dr.'s who treated him so he had the best medical care available in the area at the time. Dr. McNeill talked to a lawyer about what could happen to him if he said a man was dead when he wasn't. The lawyer told him that Dr.'s sometimes made mistakes. He had to say that Lull had died as the Younger's and their supporters had vowed Lull would not leave St. Clair Co. alive. Hope this answers your questions. Good luck.

Outstanding information Ugly, The hideout at Monegaw sounds much more reasonable now that I know there were Negroes were involved in the hiding out. Indians, Negroes, Mexicans, and Halfbreeds were among the detested at the time and nobody went around them much unless they had to. All of them hated each other as much as they were hated by others. Racism among the racist and those that did not know their particular race, just imagine those hard times....:BangHead: They all tended to have their own little settlements outside of town and off of the beaten path. The half breeds had it worse than all of them as they were not accepted by anyone but themselves and there were many different halves mixed. I believe this must be her. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/65124329/hanna-mcferrin I will have to do some more digging on the area and look for any of my guys that went there to see if there was a K.G.C. or O.A.K. connection between the Nebraska City Castle and anyone there at the time. A place in Missouri that went from being named Little Piney in the 1860s, to Arlington after Robert E. Lee's place, to Appleton City in 1870. It makes the research a little tougher when they keep changing the name of the place! I also noticed that the racial makeup of the area is quite different nowadays.:icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the post!:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Enlighten me...

O.K. I will do my best! Don't let this run off of you like water on a duck's back! LOL!:laughing7:
light.jpg

" There is nothing secret about this knowledge, it’s just not something that the mass human herd mentality cares about because they are too busy emotionally reacting to the chaos and drama of the world and others around them."

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
L.C., near the Springs was a cave near a bluff on the Osage River where the "boys" sometimes hid out. It was near a bluff that is still known today as Younger lookout. Aunt Hanna's son in law, George "Speed" McDonald who was not considered a part of the gang, served as a lookout and cook during their stay's. He was known for his cooking ability and was called upon to be the chef when they had Old Soldiers reunions.
Aunt Hanna's daughter Missouri was the cook at the Monegaw hotel and known for her cooking ability and her temper. If you riled her she would throw a skillet at you. Negro's may have been second class citizens but that didn't mean many did not have the respect of whites. Aunt Hanna's home was still standing in the 1960's. I don't know if it still stands. The Benton Green School was about a mile from her house so I'd guess the Benton Green Cem. where she is buried would be near there. Benton Green was a land owner at that location. Appleton City is several miles away, maybe 10. Good luck.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, there was mutual respect between armed neighbors, but I believe there was very little strange traffic in those type of settlements that were race oriented. Friends, of course, were always welcome I am sure no matter the color of their skin. Bigotry and racism are what brought those type of settlements about for sure though. Them people didn't just want to build their own towns for the heck of it.:icon_thumleft: It is fun to study the tales of the times. Where are you quoting this one from Ugly? Local knowledge" Personal history passed down to you by your kin, or is it written in a book of some kind? Thanks for sharing it.:icon_thumleft:

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Even at the famous Merrimac Hideout, the cave is only "reputed" to have been used by Jesse James and his gang as a hideout. There are a bunch of them that I have heard of being used by them, but I wonder how many they really were at from time to time? It would seem to me more likely for them to go for better digs whenever possible at the home of an unpopular friend.:occasion14:

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
L.C., most of that comes from the book The Roscoe Gun Battle by Wilbur A. Zink published in 1967 by the Democrat Publishing Co.
Subtitle is Younger brothers vs. Pinkerton Detectives.
Dr. McNeill had a daughter Cora L. McNeill who in 1898 published a book "Mizzoura". It was the only book at that time written about the Youngers that was sanctioned by them. She made many trips to Stillwater,MN to visit Jim & Cole in prison and corresponded with them freely. In her book she leaves no doubt that Pinkerton detective Lull did not die but arose from the coffin.
Mr. Zink was a local noted historian of the Youners, having many clippings and pictures. He also had, at the time of publishing this book, all know books written about them, numbering 52. His Grandfather was Dan Crowder, the man who sat with John Youngers body overnight to guard it. Hope this answers your questions. Good luck.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C., most of that comes from the book The Roscoe Gun Battle by Wilbur A. Zink published in 1967 by the Democrat Publishing Co.
Subtitle is Younger brothers vs. Pinkerton Detectives.
Dr. McNeill had a daughter Cora L. McNeill who in 1898 published a book "Mizzoura". It was the only book at that time written about the Youngers that was sanctioned by them. She made many trips to Stillwater,MN to visit Jim & Cole in prison and corresponded with them freely. In her book she leaves no doubt that Pinkerton detective Lull did not die but arose from the coffin.
Mr. Zink was a local noted historian of the Youners, having many clippings and pictures. He also had, at the time of publishing this book, all know books written about them, numbering 52. His Grandfather was Dan Crowder, the man who sat with John Youngers body overnight to guard it. Hope this answers your questions. Good luck.

I am sure some of it has to be credible evidence coming from those kind of sources. It would have been nice to find information that was first hand, but that is very scarce. I figure every time stuff gets repeated it gets a little weaker just like coffee would if you reused it. The strength is surely based on who is repeating it, and how much they left out or did not know at the time they repeated it. :icon_thumleft:

I will have to get that book and read it Ugly!:icon_thumleft:

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Thought you would like to see the comparisons between JJ's MEMO clue and another clue found in Oklahoma of the same subject aka the Spanish Right Stone Boot. Remember the Spanish always believed in the Right Hand of God. That is why walking with your right foot forward was a common practice especially in marching. You always started out with your "Right" foot. The left has always been considered the reverse of right thinking or against God. Unfortunately we see it our present day and age. Those on the left are against God, those on the right walk with God.

Okay back to the Spanish Right Stone Boot. Look at the comparison between the two as shown.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

1 Spanish Stone Boot Right Foot.png

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
How big is that boot Lue? Has it led you anywhere else yet? Have you ever ran into any combine symbols on your tail? This is one we found on a lead K.G.C. map that was buried in Nebraska. I can't seem to figure it out. I have been told it was a turtle by one fella, but it did not pan out with our known turtle. I am leaning towards a combine symbol but I have not found the correct meaning yet. If it is the turtle I have no idea why it is drawn where it is physically placed on the map. :dontknow:

Combine.jpg

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is that boot Lue? Has it led you anywhere else yet? Have you ever ran into any combine symbols on your tail? This is one we found on a lead K.G.C. map that was buried in Nebraska. I can't seem to figure it out. I have been told it was a turtle by one fella, but it did not pan out with our known turtle. I am leaning towards a combine symbol but I have not found the correct meaning yet. If it is the turtle I have no idea why it is drawn where it is physically placed on the map. :dontknow:

View attachment 1686307

Hello L.C.,

The "A" with a vertical tail as in direction. T as in Treasure Cross. It could also mean church treasure. I had to look in my booklet of signs that I have found and it closely resembles a church mound.

In regard to the Spanish stone boot for the MEMO, I estimate it to be 40' feet long 18' at it widest point.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1686307

That is not KGC. That is an older symbol by Knight's Templar as a directional indicator. It indicates the squaring of circle, which they used to navigate the Earth. So that is pointing in the direction they traveled. Mark the Compass reading and follow it to the next sign. The signs were usually about 600 miles apart?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post he had inside people for sure

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
As I see it, there are a lot of things that have credible bearing on the truth that can not be explained away by the history books. Most of those things are not written about anywhere, but some are. There are facts that I have not talked about concerning Arbor Lodge like the cannon balls that were dug up there during an excavation. There is no record of the place ever being fortified with a cannon, yet there they were on the grounds of Arbor Lodge with no explanation given for them written anywhere! There may not have been a cannon at Arbor lodge:dontknow:, but there were cannon balls there for sure. There is absolutely no mention of James Henry Lane and his gang wanting or attempting to kill Julius Sterling Morton in the written history of Nebraska, yet here is a letter proving that Morton was on Lane's hit list.:icon_thumright:
Letter about Lane trying to put a hit on Morton.JPG

Lane, James Henry | Civil War on the Western Border: The Missouri-Kansas Conflict, 1854-1865

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
That is not KGC. That is an older symbol by Knight's Templar as a directional indicator. It indicates the squaring of circle, which they used to navigate the Earth. So that is pointing in the direction they traveled. Mark the Compass reading and follow it to the next sign. The signs were usually about 600 miles apart?

I would be interested to hear about it Franklin, there were some members that were Freemason Knights Templar who could have adopted the use from previous rituals. That symbol was used by them carved into a lead map piece about three inches long and two and a half inches wide and 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick left buried sometime between 1896 and 1904 in Nebraska by the O.A.K. but it led to a modified older trail that had originally been laid out by the K.G.C. sometime between 1860 and 1874. In some cases, it is evident that markers used on this trail were placed before they were used by them, but they were placed to be used by them when they were set into place years before there intended purpose and use.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"Historians generally discount stories linking the James brothers with Indian Territory. However, popular lore abounds concerning the gang's presence. The stories may derive from the brothers' association with Quantrill's Raiders in Missouri. Quantrill did operate in Indian Territory in 1863–64, but no evidence documents the James's participation there."
However.........
" Local legends tell that during the postwar years the Jameses and Youngers "hid out" at Robbers Cave near Wilburton, in Blue Canyon in Nowata County, at Buzzard's Roost near Cement, and on Bear Creek in Garfield County.

" Tantalizing lore thus keeps alive the hope that the James gang may have maintained a lengthy association with Oklahoma, but hard evidence lacking, the mystery will remain in the realms of legend and tourism."

https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=JA005

What is a fella suposed to believe? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread