Jesuit tree

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Good day,

I have a short tale ending with a query:

Through research into a mining district beginning around 1850+ and certain events, I narrowed a cache search down to a specific geographic location where I came upon what I call a Jesuit tree, in that it was split in the center and trained to form a neat "U" shape probably around 75 to 150 years old at most.

After digging approximately 5.5 ft down in very compacted soil I came across four layers of limbs laid 4 across and layered 4 deep. The limbs are about the thickness of a silver dollar and show tool marks on the end.

The Spanish miners are renown for their trap trickery and on the concern that that may have carried over, or that they may have a meaning I'm unaware of, my question is; does this have a particular significance?

Thanks for any assistance.

OP
OP
S

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
The limbs, larger on the bottom, smaller on the top. 10-12" square.

Attachments

• IMG_2011091.jpg
    IMG_2011091.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 735

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read of trees being trained in a similar way in the inter-mountain west, by certain native American tribes, as well as on the "old Spanish trail, by Jesuits, to signify available drinking water sources, or as significant markers.

K

Kentucky Kache

This reminds me of Oak Island. A miniature version. ;D

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
Many times a tree was planted over a closed mine entrance or treasure, sounds like you have a burial.

Minetres

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Southerhunter, the limbs layed in the manner you describe, sounds more like a self feeding fire. Unlike most white men, the Indians would build their fires from the top down. The fires would burn much longer on less wood and often would last throughout the night. Unlike a fire built from the bottom up, which would need constant feeding. If there are no coals there, I would say it was setup but never used. :icon_scratch:

K

Kentucky Kache

GrayCloud said:
Southerhunter, the limbs layed in the manner you describe, sounds more like a self feeding fire. Unlike most white men, the Indians would build their fires from the top down. The fires would burn much longer on less wood and often would last throughout the night. Unlike a fire built from the bottom up, which would need constant feeding. If there are no coals there, I would say it was setup but never used. :icon_scratch:

That makes a lot of sense. : :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
That is an interesting observation Greycloud, and the stacked configuration of the limbs could very well represent that objective. Of course it begs consideration of why a campfire would be placed 5-1/2 feet underground with a tree on top.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
That is why God gave us fingernails. So we can scratch our heads at times like this. :laughing7:

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The land or dirt may have been shifted or slid some comming to rest where you dug in 150 yrs everything is a little different,earth tremblers etc.

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perhaps it was a sign to look at, in, or near the local native American campsite? or to signify fire, any signs of old campfires in the area?
just a guess? ??? maybe a sign that the cache was melted into a bullion?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering why those pieces of limb weren't rotted away in 150 years

OP
OP
S

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Hi Shortstack,

This query had occurred to me as well, & what I concluded was that because the area in question receives around 7" of rain a year & these were buried well underground surrounded by hard packed soil, there was really no oxygen + moisture for them to rot.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thengridwork you discribe is a characterisic of a sealed shaft.
Have you removed the branches from the hole?
if so was there any indication of further excavation needed?

Look around the area for signs that indicate anything of this nature. it will be to your benifit if there is.

OP
OP
S

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Hi Olddog,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

We have removed the branches & as yet have no indication of a sealed shaft. Occasionally while encountering a buried stone in the exploration area, I place a crowbar on it & pound with a sledge to test for reverberation, but as yet no luck.

What I wouldn't give for GPR ;D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southernhunter said:
Hi Olddog,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

We have removed the branches & as yet have no indication of a sealed shaft. Occasionally while encountering a buried stone in the exploration area, I place a crowbar on it & pound with a sledge to test for reverberation, but as yet no luck.

What I wouldn't give for GPR ;D

How about $15,000? :laughing7: Couldn't resist. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions