56.4 KB · Views: 186

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats supposed to represent Jesus... It appears that He is upside down considering where the bale is located and He is facing the Cross instead of having his back against it... Creepy really... AntiChrist?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hello,

Just found this bronze statue at sea ,
Seems like Jesus to me .
Was found at aprox 10m deep , in israel .
Any help ?

ronen, Nice Find. I am not an archeologist. So, I can't give you an expert opinion on the artifacts. It does look OLD to me and I hope when you find out the approx. age and other back round info, that you share it with us.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thats supposed to represent Jesus... It appears that He is upside down considering where the bale is located and He is facing the Cross instead of having his back against it... Creepy really... AntiChrist?

Exactly

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
It looks like some sort of household tool to open something up with, and has an eye to hang it up?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ronen - Not sure on the piece, though I would like to know how the water is over there. How is the clarity, temp, and dangers? What type of scuba gear and detector do you use?

OP
OP
R

ronen00a

Greenie
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was actualy found while spearfishing , clarety is always changing , better check israeli fishing forum for forecast , and i dont use detection tools .
Thanks guys

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when i saw this post "jesus bronze statue" i thought it would be a thread about the statue they erected in syria, dont know the details will have to go look it up, some christians got together and built and raised a statue of jesus on a mountain somewhere without detection.
when i find it i'll post it here.
ronen being over there do you know anything about what i speak of?

E

elle

Jesus appeared to Saint Peter in 64 A.D.
The Apostle asked Him, “Whither goest Thou Master?”
Christ answered, “I am going to Rome to be crucified again.”

Saint Peter returned to Rome where he was crucified.
Being placed on a cross, he asked not to be crucified in the same manner of his Lord Jesus Christ, for he was not worthy to die the same way.

The creator of your artifact made a point to depict two ways St. Peter could have been hung,
different than how Christ died. Today most paintings only show St. Peter being crucified upside down,
but long ago objects of devotion were created from an artist’s point of view.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesus appeared to Saint Peter in 64 A.D.
The Apostle asked Him, “Whither goest Thou Master?”
Christ answered, “I am going to Rome to be crucified again.”

Saint Peter returned to Rome where he was crucified.
Being placed on a cross, he asked not to be crucified in the same manner of his Lord Jesus Christ, for he was not worthy to die the same way.

The creator of your artifact made a point to depict two ways St. Peter could have been hung,
different than how Christ died. Today most paintings only show St. Peter being crucified upside down,
but long ago objects of devotion were created from an artist’s point of view.
Elle knows for sure.

OP
OP
R

ronen00a

Greenie
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Elle !

And no i havent heard about the statue in syria.
Is has hebrew writing saying "jesus son of god"

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Just found this bronze statue at sea ,
Seems like Jesus to me .
Was found at aprox 10m deep , in israel .
Any help ?

How about this:
I made a radius from the hands to the head ... How about it is some sort of tool to pick up a hot pot or kettle?

Although, this would be an upside down view of the tool

View attachment 892903

Last edited:
E

elle

If there are letters on the artifact with the name of Christ, then it is Jesus.
The top of the object holds the bottony, representing the Holy Trinity.
Gary L. Hauck’s book, Exploring Humanities Around the World: In Celebration of the Human Spirit, p. 143 ---
The paragraph states Christ was shown “standing on a pedestal, his head up, eyes open, and arms at right angles to the body.
These features are characteristic of the Romanesque style. Romanesque crosses were common until about AD 1200.”

Hope that helps.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fascinating find! Can you get a closeup of the Hebrew writing? I find it highly unusual that "Jesus, Son of God" would be written in Hebrew. The time of Christ and beyond was Greek, Aramaic, then Latin followed later. Hebrew wasn't a commonly used language among Christians (it is the language of the old testament, not the new testament). Even stranger is that the Jews (and the Essenes community who preserved Hebrew as a language) didn't believe Jesus was the Christ/Messiah, nor the Son of God.

I have never seen a crucifix without a crossbar, much less with Jesus nailed facing the cross. A crucifix of Peter would be a strange find indeed, but I wouldn't rule it out. Can you get a closeup of the writing? I am familiar with Hebrew. Thanks!

OP
OP
R

ronen00a

Greenie
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill try picture it today , my camera isnt good enough for this but ill try

E

elle

Hi Darren,

I have no idea what letters are on the artifact without aid of a picture, but here is some interesting written information.

From
http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-t001.html:

Both Luke and John tell us that the inscription on the Cross of Jesus was written in three languages, Greek, Latin and Hebrew.”
Hebrew was the religious language of the Jews; it represented the Covenant Race, the Law of God, and the means by which God made Himself known to man.”
“Matthew wrote for the Jews and used many quotations from the Old Testament to show that Jesus was the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies concerning the Messiah. It is therefore most likely that Matthew quotes the Hebrew inscription.”

I don’t think the figure of Christ (the artifact being discussed) was meant to be “literally” shown crucified to the cross. Followers automatically concluded this concept by seeing His arms held out. I believe the trefoil end cap, representing the Holy Trinity, was added to the object to give viewers a perspective that it was indeed Jesus Christ being crucified. The head of Christ being in an upward position was shown in art for many centuries even after 1200 A.D.: http://www.miraclesofthechurch.com/2010/10/miraculous-crucifix-of-limpias-jesus.html

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I walk on the waters to save us."

article-1171485-0481AA0F000005DC-969_468x613.jpeg

><>

Last edited:

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
You say it was found in Israel, was it found in the Mediterranean, or a smaller body of water?

Is the object fairly heavy or is it light weight?

This may sound absolutely crazy, but given the ring on the feet, I am wondering whether the object might not be some sort of sounding weight. The ring is fairly large considering the object's size. A fairly hefty line could have been attached to it.

Not made for a ship, but for a smaller craft, like a small fishing boat or something. Not all sounding weights were made of lead.

Jesus was strongly identified with fish and fisherman for obvious reasons...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hobbit this is pretty light weight for a sounding weight when lead would be a better alloy and widely available.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say..that protrusion at the head has to have a purpose and the ring at the feet as well.
It really does look like a tool that would be hung when not in use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions