Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Darren,

I have no idea what letters are on the artifact without aid of a picture, but here is some interesting written information.

From
http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-t001.html:

“Both Luke and John tell us that the inscription on the Cross of Jesus was written in three languages, Greek, Latin and Hebrew.”
“Hebrew was the religious language of the Jews; it represented the Covenant Race, the Law of God, and the means by which God made Himself known to man.”
“Matthew wrote for the Jews and used many quotations from the Old Testament to show that Jesus was the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies concerning the Messiah. It is therefore most likely that Matthew quotes the Hebrew inscription.”

I don’t think the figure of Christ (the artifact being discussed) was meant to be “literally” shown crucified to the cross. Followers automatically concluded this concept by seeing His arms held out. I believe the trefoil end cap, representing the Holy Trinity, was added to the object to give viewers a perspective that it was indeed Jesus Christ being crucified. The head of Christ being in an upward position was shown in art for many centuries even after 1200 A.D.: http://www.miraclesofthechurch.com/2010/10/miraculous-crucifix-of-limpias-jesus.html

Hello Laura. Great to hear from you! Sometimes our brain needs a jumpstart, and I wasn't in "sign on the cross" mode. I was in "personally inscribed" mode - as in a Jewish person personally inscribed this on the figure as a definitive description of their trinket. Of course, if the horizontal portion of the trefoil is the sign on the cross, then it is indeed the crucifixion, albeit an unusual one. Even then, the Hebrew saying was a mockery, not an actual belief. And Hebrew, though preserved in its writing form, wasn't spoken commonly. Latin was just making its way into the golden age of use, and Greek and Aramaic were the common language in Israel at that time. I have to wonder why only Hebrew was written on this particular piece and not the other languages. As always, the mystery generates more questions than answers. Fascinating!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm almost positive that is a lid lifter for a wood burning stove.
(galley stove)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ronen00a

Greenie
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just was on the phone with my friend who has this in his house now , it was not hebrew but greek , sorry for misleading !
Hes also asking if there is anyone who is intrested in it , and yes - it was found on the medeterrenian sea

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm almost positive that is a lid lifter for a wood burning stove.
(galley stove)

I think you nailed it again. I was thinking the figure was perfectly sized to be held in the hand at the torso. I just could not figure out what its purpose was.

Great deduction on your part and a very cool find by the OP.

If it were me, I would be doing a little more spearfishing in the area to see if any more trinkets might be lying about...

The tool might just have been dropped off the ship/boat accidently (as EVERY tool aboard a boat ultimately will be) but you never know...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a very interesting piece from an equally interesting location for sure.
Not to mention all the great info it brought about by some top notch folks.
I'm honored to share space with all of you.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a door knocker to me... just sayin?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I applaud the guessing, but I am not sure about a pot holder or a door knocker. The fact that Greek appears on it stating "Jesus Son of God" tells us that it is a form of the crucifix. In times gone by, Jesus was much revered and I am not aware of Him being used for such casual usage. He was normally placed prominently on a wall as a display and reminder of their faith. Granted, this is one of the most unusual depictions of Christ, so the mystery remains as to the ring at His feet, and the bending of the trefoil. I have no better guess than what's been stated, but it doesn't seem to fit what we know of people's faith in history.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see this writing.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After studying the all the pics closely I would say it's not Jesus....

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so sure that the object has the inscription on it as the OP didn't know even know the language. Maybe a misunderstanding as a response to the Syrian statue.

If it was on the the ocean floor and was visible, it must have been on rock otherwise it would be buried. If so, it surely would be beat up if it was very old. Guess it could be anything and a tool as mentioned would be a good possibility.

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents worth, and I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think that this is a depiction of Christ at all...

What is the unusual design going down the back of the personage depicted here?

And the figure appears to have a naked lower portion... Never seen a depiction of Jesus like that...

Additionally, I think that Gatorboy is on to something as far as it being a latch but for what in particular who knows at present...

Also the strange pronounced "hairstyle" is odd and nothing in my research has ever shown Jesus with this unusual Grease Lightning Travolta-esque hair... Hehehe

Don't know why the outstretched arms but I don't think this represents Jesus or a cross at all and the trifid end is just a stylized Hasp to secure whatever this fits on... I also don't see the inscription on this piece... Where is that? And if it's there... What does it say? I am missing it....

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
if I had to guess I would guess door knocker. The protruding piece above the head looks like the striker and the circle loop could have acted as a hinge and to work it would hang upside down

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elle,

You ROCK !!!. I think your right again or at least close, closest picture yet.
Well, maybe it is abstract form...

I had a feeling my guess of Cliff Diver from Acapulco was way off :happysmiley:

Trez

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mean to be a stickler here but the arms are at totally different angles,its facing the other way and it doesn't have the prominent appendage on either end..and its clothed.
I see damage from heat to the metal on the protrusion of the piece in question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread