May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was bitterly cold today & the ground which was soft yesterday had frozen solid. By the end of 3.5 hours my hands no longer functioned even with gloves on!

It was well worth getting cold for!

3 hammered - 2 Lizzy Halfgroats & 1 Edward III Halfpenny

Dad got his first Roman Silver of the year -
Julia Domna Denarius AD196 - Minted Laodicea
Reverse type we haven't seen - Diana holding flaming torch

I would have gone home happy with the great conditioned Pewter 18th century button - Queens Own IV Dragoons (one for IP) :wink:

7 scrappies
17th Century Token
Nice Late Medieval square coin weight

Great day in freezing weather, look forward to the warmer spell tomorrow with Shaun7 (I hope!)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 839
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 847
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 829
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 820
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 814
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You amaze me with the variety of finds you come up with! Amazes me even more that you rarely pull a nice looking coin missed by the plow and fertilizer. Those fields must have been farmed since day one. Do you ever try forests or stream runs? I do not care to hunt forests but will do it when I have to as we have mostly tall pine trees and no old forests over 80 years old. HH, Mike

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Good day again, told you the XPs called the hammered hoover :thumbsup:

Well, you say that but is 3 all, so the Cortes is keeping pace (at the moment). But I do expect be the end of the year to out do Dad.

Bavaria Mike said:
You amaze me with the variety of finds you come up with! Amazes me even more that you rarely pull a nice looking coin missed by the plow and fertilizer. Those fields must have been farmed since day one. Do you ever try forests or stream runs? I do not care to hunt forests but will do it when I have to as we have mostly tall pine trees and no old forests over 80 years old. HH, Mike

No I tried woods & had no success.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Yes I have noticed that also (rarely find a nice looking coin) and feel for sure the land has been used since the roman times. There were or are many places that were not farmed in the middle ages, the finds there are better it seems.

I have searched woods and streams in England a few times, but since everyone there hunts hunts hunts the woods are full of shells, they drive you crazy. There could be good stuff someplaces but I have not yet found it. The same with streams, never found anything interesting.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
how would the coin weight have been used? ie: did it weigh single coins or the weight in silver of a few :icon_scratch:
Hi Shaun, another learning lesson from me...!!!! Hope you had luck with Cru today, wish I was with you guys....

About 98% of coin weights were used to weigh gold coins, as Cru says not only England but Europe and beyond. Only a few silver coin weights were ever made, I guess because of a shortage of gold in those years they made large silver coins, and needed weights to insure they were not clipped too much. Here is a photo of a SILVER coinweight that I found last year, they are massive things! :

coinweight1a.jpg

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cru, nice finds for sure. Wish we could dig here, but its impossible. Hope for next week. I hope you had fun with Shaun today! Funny that you guys are not getting the real freezing weather there, we cannot get into the ground at all...

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
YOU GOT MID-EVIL WITH THE DIRT, LOL :thumbsup: KEEPA DIGGIN

MLHUDSON

Excellent finds! Crusader, I got a question for you. What do you call those pieces of brass that have WR (crown) PATENT? I have quite a few. Some have VR (Victoria?) as well. I just assumed they were from guns or the cover plate that goes over old padlocks. I never did properly I.D. them.
I love those hammered and Romans!
Dave.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Excellent finds! Crusader, I got a question for you. What do you call those pieces of brass that have WR (crown) PATENT? I have quite a few. Some have VR (Victoria?) as well. I just assumed they were from guns or the cover plate that goes over old padlocks. I never did properly I.D. them.
I love those hammered and Romans!
Dave.

Its a lock plate cover. Mine William IV & yours Victorian

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
how would the coin weight have been used? ie: did it weigh single coins or the weight in silver of a few :icon_scratch:
Hi Shaun, another learning lesson from me...!!!! Hope you had luck with Cru today, wish I was with you guys....

About 98% of coin weights were used to weigh gold coins, as Cru says not only England but Europe and beyond. Only a few silver coin weights were ever made, I guess because of a shortage of gold in those years they made large silver coins, and needed weights to insure they were not clipped too much. Here is a photo of a SILVER coinweight that I found last year, they are massive things! :

coinweight1a.jpg

thanks woody, i had a great day with cru( might take him a while to get over it) :D
thats what i was thinking about the coin weights (about the clipping and such)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Woody50 said:
shaun7 said:

coinweight1a.jpg

thanks woody, i had a great day with cru( might take him a while to get over it) :D

Not so much the clipping, as the amount of fakes.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Woody50 said:
shaun7 said:

Not so much the clipping, as the amount of fakes.
That is correct Cru! Nice you letting Shaun look around with you. Waiting to hear just how cold it was!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Woody50 said:
shaun7 said:

Oh oh.... Did you skunk him again?
I am sitting on the edge of my chair (and butt of course) in great expectation waiting for your post!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Woody50 said:
shaun7 said:
Woody50 said:
shaun7 said:

Oh oh.... Did you skunk him again?
I am sitting on the edge of my chair (and butt of course) in great expectation waiting for your post!

see my post woody in todays finds! ;D ;D ;D

K

KirkTN

Hey Crusader, thanks for the welcome back. Outstanding finds. I can only hope to find coins that old someday.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
SUPER FINDS. BEST OF LUCK. YOUR POSTS ARE SUPER. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three Hammered AND a Roman??!! Now THAT's a GREAT start to ANY year! :o

I don't know how I missed this post! I must've thought I'd seen the lower section day four, or was it middle section day three? :P :tard:

Nice work, Cru. How's the weather over there?

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread