mding town property

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
md'ing town property

I drove by a house with boarded up windows on my way home from work today. I checked online and found that it is owned by the town. My plan is to go to the town clerks office on Monday to confirm the town owns it and ask permission. I've never asked permission to hunt anywhere before and thought maybe being town property I might not need permission. Does anyone know if you need permission to hunt a property owned by your town?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: md'ing town property

I Don't know your town :(

If it were mine,
I'v have hunted it already.

Of course no rules in my town ;D
We make our own :thumbsup:
even the Township forgets us
except tax time.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yep I agree with what Jeff said

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot

I'll make 100% sure the town owns it before I start diggin, if they don't want me there I'm sure they'll let me know.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I too would certainly have already hunted it. But you're asking on a forum where some timid folk would say you should ask before even hunting a public sandbox, so naturally, you'll get a range of answers. As long as you're a) not inside the building, and b) it's public property (via eminent domain, or tax assesment, or whatever), and c) you're doing no harm, leaving no marks, etc... and d) there is no posting to the contrary (signs on the house itself, I would interpret to apply to ..... within the house itself).

The problem with asking, is you may get a desk clerk, who ...... since you asked .... will take the safe route and tell you "no". When odds were/are, no one would really have cared, or ever noticed, if you had just gone. Afterall, you're looking for the boyscout ring your dad lost there when he was a kid, right?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'v been guilty of going to boro offices
myself.

I'v been told go ahead right out;
I'v had to wait till they called somone first;
I'v been told no for the stupidest reasons ever
including the pool is drained, you might fall in
& sue us (ahhhh pools have a 5' wide cement walk way
around them);
I'v even been told I Needed to attend a meeting
& Request permission.

I'm probably about 50/50 on obtaining permission this way.

My suggestion, ask the Town/township workers first.

They usually say yes

Can't find any ? ask the local police.
Police only said "Probably not so NO" to me once
asked him if he minded if I Go over his head,
he said go ahead, I did & I Got permission.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Jeff, as you say, you're about "50/50" success. It's that other 50% that worries me. Because, all too often (I've seen this in my 35 yrs. of this), someone falls into that 50% category, at some particular location's request, that ...... curiously enough ..... has been detected, ad-nauseum, up till then, and no one ever cared less. Ie.: it wasn't until someone "asked", that someone in a deskbound bureaucracy "cared". (ie.: they must address your "pressing issue", so guess what the easy answer is?)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA said:
Jeff, as you say, you're about "50/50" success. It's that other 50% that worries me. Because, all too often (I've seen this in my 35 yrs. of this), someone falls into that 50% category, at some particular location's request, that ...... curiously enough ..... has been detected, ad-nauseum, up till then, and no one ever cared less. Ie.: it wasn't until someone "asked", that someone in a deskbound bureaucracy "cared". (ie.: they must address your "pressing issue", so guess what the easy answer is?)

yep !

NO is easier & Safer then:

"Gee I don't Know, your asking permission ???
so maybe
there is something wrong with Detecting.
so I better not say Yes" :dontknow:
or
"I'll put myself on the line & say Yes"
or
"Wait till I Make a call & Pest
or look Dumb to my Superiors"

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot

Well I went for an hour today. Made some dogs bark but nobody noticed me other wise. At first I kept looking over my shoulder waiting for someone to come over and ask me to stop, but it was quiet and peaceful there so after a little while I felt comfortable.
Honesty what bugged me the most was I coudn't figure out what the property was/is. It has a brook along the property line that leads up to a dam. The building is boarded up but there is power lines going to it still. One of the power lines has a brand new siren on the top, maybe for the dam, but the dam is really small.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread