Mensa

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Arizona Bob said:
You are a pilot, right? Do you read your FCIF much? If another jock tells you there is a storm coming, before you fly... you do actually check with the weather guy, right?

Anyway, Mensa has never taken a stand on hurting anyone. Like many organizations, the members write letters and articles for submission to the various newsletters and magazine. In November 1994, two members (Jason Brent & Jon Evans) had articles published in support of euthanasia. Mensa investigated, and fired the newsletter editor (Nikki Frey).

Brent & Evans support of euthanasia has NEVER been a part of Mensa.

Sky Pilot, your "Mensa" plane just crashed & burned. Luckily, you were in the simulator, so we can restart the ride! Okay, your heading is 360 on Rwy 1, vis is unlim, wind is calm, you are cleared for take-off...

Hello Bob,

I appreciate you taking time to explain the complete sequence of events concerning the Brent and Evans articles of the 1990's.

It seems that only the negative coverage of the articles made it to the national news scene, and in light of what I've learned from you, I'll definitely rethink my own stand in regards to Mensa!

In answer to your questions, yes, yes, and of course I do! And Thanks! :icon_thumleft:

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based upon some of the comments, particularly from Arizona Bob, I may re investigate membership...
Does anyone know of a chapter near Atlanta?
Perhaps it would be an association of like minded individuals that could provide avenues of investigation,
insight and contacts towards ideas that I have concerning AIDS and Cancer research concerning
enzymes and protiens that I cannot find elsewhere... :icon_scratch:
Specifically in the field of microbiology...

Who would have thought that mold would lead to penicillin? :dontknow:
And Jonas Salk for his contribution towards the elimination of polio...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Salk
(But my passion is to merely be an elementary school teacher...)

Best,
Scott

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHIO Au, yes, that is specifically why Mesa was set up, so that you could talk to your peers in what ever subject, on an equal social level. Any thing from Aardvarks to making Pasties while playing a Zither

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Incidentally Bob, you may need a refresher course, you forgot to mention Barometric pressure or elevation of the airport etc.

Don Jose de La Mancha (Multi - single engine Land & sea. Hi performance aircraft also, but not current on Instrument. #1087851)

p.s. To accomplish this does not require Mensa membership.

Attachments

• Don Jose\'s booboo.jpg
    Don Jose\'s booboo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Don Jose\'s booboo.jpg
    Don Jose\'s booboo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 344
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pasties? Zither?
Oh, SNAP!
We need to get together, Friend! :tongue3:
I've got ideas on these subjects, too! (after much imbibing... :drunken_smilie:) Is nudity involved? :D

Best,
Scott

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Au, pronounced Pahsties not p'ay'sties or something like that snicker. sheehs blushing. Cornnish meat pies used by the miners in the mines of Cornwal, Britlandia.

Don Jose de La Mancha (whom am I to deny the lovely works of the LORD just for me ! sigh)

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Incidentally Bob, you may need a refresher course, you forgot to mention Barometric pressure or elevation of the airport etc.

Don Jose de La Mancha (Multi - single engine Land & sea. Hi performance aircraft also, but not current on Instrument. #1087851)

Don Jose, that is because I was beginning to doubt that Sky Pilot was in fact, a pilot. In my simulator, his altimeter would have already been set to the correct elevation (out of the goodness of my heart). As far as weather/baro/etc, I hoped he was checking/verifying weather himself. Also, under Arizona Bob's Part 91, he only needed to file a verbal flight plan and identify the number of females onboard! :read2:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish at this time to apologize to any one who misunderstood this post.
I never meant to appear "smarter" than anyone on this website.
I was merely wanting opinions and advice.
God in his wisdom knows that I can learn from all.
Perhaps I can teach...I'm sure that I can learn....

This post originally was meant to answer questions that I have concerning those who have a gift...how best to apply that gift and how others perceive those who have that gift.
I'm no better than you, but, maybe you can learn; as well that I can learn.

"A human being is not attaining his full heights until he is educated."
Horace Mann

Always,
My Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. The dryer has just stopped, so please excuse me while I take care of laundry.... :tongue3: (aren't we all pawns?)

"Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow."
Anthony J. D'Angelo

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
The question was "If another jock tells you there is a storm coming, before you fly... you do actually check with the weather guy, right?"

In my opinion, the other information wasn't pertinent to the question being answered.

Arizona Bob said:
Don Jose, that is because I was beginning to doubt that Sky Pilot was in fact, a pilot.

:icon_scratch: I didn't realize that you and I had corresponded enough for you to form an opinion either way, Bob.

Whatever, it's all good I reckon.

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh?
WTH are y'all talkin' 'bout?

????
Scott

Damn, I gotta learn this crap, too? Sheesh, I hate flyin' :o
Rather do laundry!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Apologies for any confusion, Scott.

This post:

Sky Pilot said:
The question was "If another jock tells you there is a storm coming, before you fly... you do actually check with the weather guy, right?"

In my opinion, the other information wasn't pertinent to the question being answered.

Arizona Bob said:
Don Jose, that is because I was beginning to doubt that Sky Pilot was in fact, a pilot.

:icon_scratch: I didn't realize that you and I had corresponded enough for you to form an opinion either way, Bob.

Whatever, it's all good I reckon.

Sky Pilot

was in answer to this post:

Arizona Bob said:

Don Jose, that is because I was beginning to doubt that Sky Pilot was in fact, a pilot. In my simulator, his altimeter would have already been set to the correct elevation (out of the goodness of my heart). As far as weather/baro/etc, I hoped he was checking/verifying weather himself. Also, under Arizona Bob's Part 91, he only needed to file a verbal flight plan and identify the number of females onboardreferring2:

which was reffering to this post:

Arizona Bob said:
Sky Pilot said:
Declining a proffered opportunity to join in the early 1990's was a decision I made based solely on the organization's (at the time) widely publicized stand that children (and others) who are mentally handicapped should be euthanized since they "offer no assistance in advancing the evolution of mankind". I don't recall (nor do I wish to) the exact wording of the explanation for their beliefs, but suffice it to say the gist of it all repulsed me. Leopards don't change their spots, and I'd be willing to bet Mensa hasn't changed their stand on this matter either. Like many other organizations we could all name, theirs is sure to have some really good folks on the membership role, and I harbor no animosity or ill-will toward them, but acknowledgmenta would be a silent acknowledgement of support for their views, and for myself, I won't support such in any way. So basically, not only "know-it-all" snobs, but "know-it-all" snob supremacists. That's my take on it Scott, for what it's worth. Sky Pilot

You are a pilot, right? Do you read your FCIF much? If another jock tells you there is a storm coming, before you fly... you do actually check with the weather guy, right?

Anyway, Mensa has never taken a stand on hurting anyone. Like many organizations, the members write letters and articles for submission to the various newsletters and magazine. In November 1994, two members (Jason Brent & Jon Evans) had articles published in support of euthanasia. Mensa investigated, and fired the newsletter editor (Nikki Frey).

Brent & Evans support of euthanasia has NEVER been a part of Mensa.

Sky Pilot, your "Mensa" plane just crashed & burned. Luckily, you were in the simulator, so we can restart the ride! Okay, your heading is 360 on Rwy 1, vis is unlim, wind is calm, you are cleared for take-off...

which was regarding a reply I made to your original question here:

Sky Pilot said:
Declining a proffered opportunity to join in the early 1990's was a decision I made based solely on the organization's (at the time) widely publicized stand that children (and others) who are mentally handicapped

should be euthanized since they "offer no assistance in advancing the evolution of mankind".

I don't recall (nor do I wish to) the exact wording of the explanation for their beliefs, but suffice it to say the gist of it all repulsed me.

Leopards don't change their spots, and I'd be willing to bet Mensa hasn't changed their stand on this matter either. Like many other organizations we could all name, theirs is sure to have some really good folks on

the membership role, and I harbor no animosity or ill-wacknowledgment, but to support Mensa would be a silent acknowledgement of support for their views, and for myself, I won't support such in any way.

So basically, not only "know-it-all" snobs, but "know-it-all" snob supremacists.

That's my take on it Scott, for what it's worth.

Sky Pilot

Hope this clears it up!

Regards all,

Sky Pilot

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Arizona Bob nails it.

I was an officer of a Mensa Local Group from around 1978 till 1983. My official title was Editor, but in reality Communications Officer would have been more accurate.

In a rural state, we had more meetings a month than most big cities like LA. The newsletter either made or broke the Local Group, and in our case with some good writers we made it.

You people who made childish comments about Mensa people being snobs should know it's always a bad idea to write about something when you know nothing about it. Shame on you. If you don't want to join, don't, but don't make stuff up.

One of the standing jokes in Mensa is qualifying for Densa, the bottom 2% of the population. Years ago, the national magazine had an article from a woman whose kitchen sink trap broke. So, while she waited for the plumber, she put a pail under there and went on with her work. When the bucket got full, she emptied it down the sink! :laughing9:

There would naturally be snobs in Mensa, just as there is every other kind of person, including prison inmates. But, except for a very few unpleasant individuals, it is not a snob organization.

Most of our new members joined merely as a lark. They mostly imagined it was a fluke and hesitated to go to a meeting with all those "smart people." I sent all new members a hand-written note, which was designed to look like a personal letter, though it was a pre-written form letter. In it, I would say as editor any mail in my mailbox would be considered for publication if it was suitable. And, I would basically introduce them to Mensa and our local group.

Many would send me a nice response, and a week later when they got the newsletter, their letter would be on the front page. Hey, it worked! Nothing works better than attention. They would come to a meeting, and like it, then they'd have their own meeting. Most meetings were held in private homes, one regular meeting was held in a small restaurant in the town which had the State University, but thus I ran the newsletter to suit the blue collar and middle class folks who had houses for meetings. Most meetings were social, a lot of intellectual talk much like the technicians in the factory where I worked, sometimes slightly risque talk, always stimulating. In private homes, there was not much excess drinking, but most were BYOB. If a meeting was no-smoking or involved religion, it would be plainly stated. One of my writers was an old retired pastor, who used to write fascinating stories about his youth.

Many Mensa members in those days would go into a period of self-analysis. They would ask themselves the question, "If I am so smart, why aren't I more successful?" Many would go back to school, or changed careers. My best writer took writing courses, and left her job to become a tech writer. A few years ago, she contacted me for her poems which I had printed, to add to a book she was producing.

Then, they dropped out of Mensa.

Mensa would never state an opinion on euthanasia of children. I bet there was actual violence when those idiots printed that opinion.

Mensa used to have local proctors to administer tests, probably still do. The national can give you addresses. There are indeed several tests the proctors give, and one can use different tests. I used my Army GT test. Since there are a number of tests, some based on logic; others on verbal and written word skills, others on patterns, etc., actually they accept more than 2% of the population, since iq. comes in different flavors.

Isaac Asimov was a lifetime member until they refused to do something he thought they should. Wayne Green, who used to publish a ham magazine, was also a member.

Mensa has SIG's, special Interest Groups. You can start your own, and it will be publicized in the SIG brochure. I would be surprised if there is no Treasure Hunting SIG, but do not know.

I dropped out when I resigned as editor, so I would not "walk on" the new editor. A few years later, I rejoined one year, but not again, because it had the same PC and gender politics as society, something I did not permit as editor.

Local Groups will vary depending upon the officers of the moment.

My favorite memory had to do with three kids who joined about the same time, from a small rural town. I knew there had to be a story, and wrote them for an explanation. Two girls and one boy, very smart, and very intellectual discovered each other very young and became friends. After high school, all three became foreign exchange students and used to write letters from their countries, which I printed and were much enjoyed by the members. They were neat young people. It's hard to imagine they are in their late 40's now.

We had a newsletter exchange program, and I used to get Rue-minations.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I forgot a funny, on me. I was the editor. I reproduced the meeting information each month. Would you like to hazard a guess as to who ALWAYS got lost and showed up late? :laughing7:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone in Mensa misrepresented the TNet Board, I'd stick up for the Board, like I have stuck up for us to the Archies - who call us ghouls and graverobbers.

I can't understand why some of us wish to misrepresent Mensa in the TNet Board.

If you don't know, ask and listen. There are a few Mensa members and former members on this board that have sincerely tried to answer your questions.

Please listen to them.

And remember the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I hope as TNeters, we'd want folks to see us in a little better light.

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO AU, youu posted -->Perhaps it would be an association of like minded individuals that could provide avenues of investigation,
insight and contacts towards ideas that I have concerning AIDS and Cancer research
K, let's get to cracking, the established Medical procedures are incorrect, their explanations and treatments on cancer are almost 100& incorrect. their results show this.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO AU, youu posted -->Perhaps it would be an association of like minded individuals that could provide avenues of investigation,
insight and contacts towards ideas that I have concerning AIDS and Cancer research
K, let's get to cracking, the established Medical procedures are incorrect, their explanations and treatments on cancer are almost 100& incorrect. their results show this.

Don Jose de La Mancha

I have some IDEAS and would need questions answered specifically within the realm of enzymes and microbiology, subjects that I'm not well versed in.
Perhaps the simplest of ideas could prove fruitful, after all, who would have thought the bark from a tree could prevent and treat malaria? And now, a synthesized version is available world wide and can be found in your local grocery store for a dollar or two!

Best,
Scott

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning Au. for the purposes which I had envisioned, shall we say it would be similar to how to build a brick wall, not how the mortar and bricks were chemically and physically prepared.

We would be exploring the Physiology and Psychology of cancer cells, and the simplest way to best disrupt them leading to the distruction of the malignant cells.

Wanna talk?

Don jose de La Mancha

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Because of the circumstances of the thread, it is hard to know if you men are serious, or engaged in very clever humor.

However, I take cancer serious. Warburg published in 1924 that cancer gets its nutrition from glucose, which is produced primarily by carbohydrates, though a high protein diet can do the same. Yet, until recently it seems no one thought perhaps lowering glucose with a high fat, low carb diet might actually affect cancer.

http://drbass.com/cancer.html

Or, you can Google: cancer ketogenic diet Germany

and get all sorts of articles about it by other writers.

This makes sense, because infarctions; diabetes; Alzheimers; and more have increased since the big flour factories and sugar factories came online in the early 20th Century.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piegrande said:
Because of the circumstances of the thread, it is hard to know if you men are serious, or engaged in very clever humor.

However, I take cancer serious. Warburg published in 1924 that cancer gets its nutrition from glucose, which is produced primarily by carbohydrates, though a high protein diet can do the same. Yet, until recently it seems no one thought perhaps lowering glucose with a high fat, low carb diet might actually affect cancer.

http://drbass.com/cancer.html

Or, you can Google: cancer ketogenic diet Germany

and get all sorts of articles about it by other writers.

This makes sense, because infarctions; diabetes; Alzheimers; and more have increased since the big flour factories and sugar factories came online in the early 20th Century.

Friend, I take cancer seriously as well having lost my Mom to it 10 years ago.
From what I have gathered preliminarily, everyone has potential cancer cells and it is through environment, diet, etc. that these cells are "triggered" to multiply and wreak havoc on antigens.
As I mentioned, this is only a cursory investigation on my part. As I learn more, I have even more questions and ideas.

The same holds true of my knowledge regarding AIDS.
It seems to me that the harder one looks for "the needle in the haystack," the more clouded the vision may become. :dontknow:
Perhaps a more basic investigation of cell mutations and isolation of these cells could lead to the identification of their inclusion in DNA. :icon_scratch: Maybe I'm behind on current studies in regard to cancer cells, but I would like to be able to converse with someone who is currently involved with research to have some questions answered.

Best Wishes,
Scott

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big Foot, AU, I am definitly very serious about cancer, since I 'cured' myself of matastic, terminal neck cancer 8 years ago, and have passed on information that has helped several others to cure their cancers also.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread