Minelab sues Deus

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not put too much money on ML in this one.

As noted in previous posts, they didnt even really state a claim, and that has been illustrated by XP in the Court docs as well.

Their patent claim is overarching, and very vaque, and as XP has shown, there are many others with patents on on the same/similar claims.
There are also the patents that XP themselves have.

It does not appear that XP is going to roll over like Whites did.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money still on ML...

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ML fanboy are we? I see your gear list is nothing but ML? Do you also have stock in the company or get a little something from them since your a mod on this forum?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be interesting to see the outcome, especially with the rumours of the sale of ML hobby line.

Aside from that, and combined with the release of long awaited products from XP, I think that at least they feel they have prevailed.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be a few fans of other detectors creeping around the XP forum .
Perhaps a little curious?Its ok you can come play with us FOREVER!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like XP is trying to prove failure to state a claim....

lotz of activity for certain.

As we have noted before, there are many, many patents and prior art...

I dont want to pay for PACER, so will have to see what happens. The proposed order would be interesting to view.

EDIT: Looks like XP is doing a lot of fronting for Whites, Garret, and themselves...this will be interesting

Check Google for those U.S. Patent numbers.
Example: https://www.google.com/patents/US4868910

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ML fanboy are we? I see your gear list is nothing but ML? Do you also have stock in the company or get a little something from them since your a mod on this forum?
I have owned and used Whites, Tesoro, Troy and Fishers, just found I like Minelabs the best. Mods do not get paid and Minelab is not a supporting vendor here.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to know! Thank you

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Google for those U.S. Patent numbers.

Yes, that is why I stated that XP is fronting for Whites, Garret, and others in showing that there is nothing special in the ML patent with prior art and/or other patents.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best form of flattery is imitation. Its also called piracy.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Seeker. What is fronting?

They are fighting a battle for not only themselves, but for the other Companies against ML, by trying to show that the ML patent is full of prior art and other patents by others, sortof paving the path for others.

This could also provide a foundation for the ML Patent to be reviewed, and perhaps a request for dismissal.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best form of flattery is imitation. Its also called piracy.

Unauthorized replication (not imitation) of digital media or software is typically considered "piracy" since it is considered digital copyright infringement. "Piracy" has not been alleged in this case as far as I can tell based on reading the available documentation. Where did you get the information this was a "piracy"/copyright infringement case? Or were you just making a general statement?

Again, imitation can only be considered infringement or "piracy," as appropriate, if the intellectual property is protected through a patent, copyright, or registered trademark, etc. and theft of that intellectual property is proven through legal proceedings. Just reacting to your use of the term "piracy" which is typically used in a specific context not necesssrily applicable in this csse AFAICT. However as I am not an attorney, I could be mistaken and welcome being set straight by the experts.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Bailiff, whack his PP!

:tongue3:

Edit: P.P. in law is Propria persona; in his own person.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bailiff, whack his PP!

:tongue3:

Edit: P.P. in law is Propria persona; in his own person.

Lol. Wish I could remember the name of the Cheech and Chong record from which you "pirated" that quote DT. Those were the days...

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. Wish I could remember the name of the Cheech and Chong record from which you "pirated" that quote DT. Those were the days...

Debut album, just "Cheech & Chong."

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave's not here!

Carl knows his Cheech and Chong! ...lol! :thumb_up:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a very wordy opinion, the Motion to Dismiss by DEC was denied. It revolves around around claims 10 and 15 of the patent 7310586

10. A method for operating a metal detector of a type which includes the ability to select values of operating parameters and to store such values as data, the method including the steps of:
a. receiving operating parameter data via an electronic transmission link from a data source external to the metal detector, the operating parameter data being a set of values of operating parameters,
b. storing the operating parameter data in an electronic memory within the metal detector, and
c. modifying the operating parameters of the metal detector to conform to the set of values of operating parameters specified by the operating parameter data,
wherein the electronic transmission link includes a wireless connection transmitting through space between the metal detector and the external data source.

15. A method for operating a metal detector as in claim 10 wherein the operating parameters include one or more of:
a. filters to be applied to a receive search signal;
b. an amplitude range of a conductance component of a receive search signal;
c. an amplitude range of an inductive component of a receive search signal; and
d. an information set indicating the values of one or more user modifiable settings of the detector.

Looks like the fun will continue now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread