More Finds from the Scrap Bucket...Updated!!Viking.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I have been finding some neat stuff over the last week or so :o the snow has restricked any detecting and it snowed last night again ::) so it was back to the scrap Bucket :wink:

The first thing I noticed was a small round Bronze object :icon_scratch: this turned out to be a coin that someone had started to turn into a ring :o can make out a right facing portraite of :dontknow: but can't make anything out from the reverse :'(

A couple of Roman items turned up :) a Roman nail cleaner and part of a Bell :o I also found a small Saxon Catterpillar Brooch :o :o

A piece of Bronze open work also which I think could be Viking :dontknow: but I'm not quite sure :dontknow: and a fragment of Medieval purse bar ;D

SS

Attachments

• bktf 001.JPG
    bktf 001.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,819
  • bktf 008.JPG
    bktf 008.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,812
  • bktf 006.JPG
    bktf 006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,820
  • bktf 011.JPG
    bktf 011.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,816
  • bktf 012.JPG
    bktf 012.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,820
  • bktf 015.JPG
    bktf 015.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,798
  • bktf 014.JPG
    bktf 014.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,807
  • bktf 013.JPG
    bktf 013.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,823
  • bktf 016.JPG
    bktf 016.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,737
  • bktf 017.JPG
    bktf 017.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,744
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: More Finds from the Scrap Bucket

Deepdiger60 said:
capndan151 said:
I think that first item might be an old freeze plug from a motor.
No it is clearly a face looking right i can see the eye nose and mouth plus the chin the neck and shoulder i did it on my picnik photo editor , but i could be wrong ? Jim
Actually....looking at your picture now, it looks like two figures, could be a William& Mary coin :dontknow:

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
Leave those scrap buckets to me in your will? ;D
Ok.......but You will have to pick them up then :D

SS

Why would you say that--are they too heavy to lift? :tongue3:
:wink: :D

SS

Still Waters

Nov 12, 2009

You Brits have some great huntin grounds. Love the coin ring. Looks like W&M or perhaps George III.
Still Waters

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
Deepdiger60 said:
capndan151 said:
No it is clearly a face looking right i can see the eye nose and mouth plus the chin the neck and shoulder i did it on my picnik photo editor , but i could be wrong ? Jim
Actually....looking at your picture now, it looks like two figures, could be a William& Mary coin :dontknow:

SS
Now that you said looks like 2 faces you are right look at what i circled its the back of Williams head the tie back thing in his hair you can see it on the coin of him and Mary by the way thats a 1609 coin of William and Mary

Attachments

• william.jpg
    william.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 992
  • william and mary.jpg
    william and mary.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,000

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The coin/ ring is very interesting, I like these objects so curious and beautiful Roman bell . :headbang:
greetings!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60 said:
Silver Searcher said:
Deepdiger60 said:
capndan151 said:

SS
Now that you said looks like 2 faces you are right look at what i circled its the back of Williams head the tie back thing in his hair you can see it on the coin of him and Mary by the way thats a 1609 coin of William and Mary
Thanks :thumbsup: wish I could find coppers as good as yours :o

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is proberbly the best to come from the scrap Bucket :o :o fragment of Viking Trefoil, or Trilobe Brooch, :headbang: I posted one similar, so you know what they look like 8)

SS

Attachments

• asa 001.JPG
    asa 001.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 651
  • asa 002.JPG
    asa 002.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 642
  • asa 003.JPG
    asa 003.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 624
  • 427485635_3d3569ddc1.jpg
    427485635_3d3569ddc1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 620

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

This is proberbly the best to come from the scrap Bucket :o :o fragment of Viking Trefoil, or Trilobe Brooch, :headbang: I posted one similar, so you know what they look like 8)

SS
another rare bucket find :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've seen this post. Clearly George III, and Britannia is also clear and looks like 1772, it's just posted sideways.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I have one similar to the ring / coin, but I think there may be another answer. Hammered silver coins that I have fit inside of mine and I think it was used to hold the coin in position once you set the reverse image platelet hammer over the silver blank and then hit the platelet hammer with an additional hammer. Just a thought, I know there are additional experts out there that know how hammered silver coins were made, so is my explanation valid???

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull said:
I have one similar to the ring / coin, but I think there may be another answer. Hammered silver coins that I have fit inside of mine and I think it was used to hold the coin in position once you set the reverse image platelet hammer over the silver blank and then hit the platelet hammer with an additional hammer. Just a thought, I know there are additional experts out there that know how hammered silver coins were made, so is my explanation valid???

The major flaw in your theory is hammered coins predate pretty much every one of these found. Plus, there would only be a slight window where milled and hammered were produced together (British maybe not any window). That being said, counter striking coins would be along the same line of thinking and timeline isn't an issue, but I'd expect things would be stuck on a completely flat surface.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Iron Patch you are absolutely right!!! I just pulled mine out of the coin holder and examined mine closer, added a little olive oil on it and there was the image!!! I have had this for almost 20 years and had always thought that it was used to hold a silver coin for hammering. The rim on mine is about 1/8 inch deep. Thank you for your expert advise!!!! Now I just need to figure our what coin it is!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ironhorse said:
I like that hammered up copper with the pieplate edge, I found a cartwheel done the same way a couple of years back, I never quite figured out why that was done to it.
I think it is a bank balance of weight, the coins were weighed on banks and shops, etc ... that's why some have the figure of the king of the time and so on.
I remember being told that a forum of numismatics.

Attachments

• subastas_089.jpg
    subastas_089.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 494
  • subastas_091.jpg
    subastas_091.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 482

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CONSTANTINVS said:
ironhorse said:
I like that hammered up copper with the pieplate edge, I found a cartwheel done the same way a couple of years back, I never quite figured out why that was done to it.
I think it is a bank balance of weight, the coins were weighed on banks and shops, etc ... that's why some have the figure of the king of the time and so on.

Well I think your guess is on the right track only the ones posted are coins made into coin weights. Just a crude way to get what you need.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
CONSTANTINVS said:
ironhorse said:

Well I think your guess is on the right track only the ones posted are coins made into coin weights. Just a crude way to get what you need.

and found this very similar possibly enhanced beyond the edges or something similar,That shows them is the (Ironhorse) with raised edges but then for some reason .... I do not understand the edges were modified.
greetings!

Attachments

• 5087g.jpg
    5087g.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 469
  • MVC-064S.JPG
    MVC-064S.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 456

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

CONSTANTINVS said:
Iron Patch said:
CONSTANTINVS said:
ironhorse said:

and found this very similar possibly enhanced beyond the edges or something similar.

What's that :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Iron Patch & Constantinvs, All I have to say is you guys are great with the picture of that coin I was able to identify the image on what I thought was to hold a coin to be hammered. The image matches the very thin outline on the one I have. I will try to get a good pic and add it later in this tread, but not sure the outline of the image will come out. I'm not sure what image is on the back of this coin as the back is in really bad shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread