More Finds from the Scrap Bucket...Updated!!Viking.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I have been finding some neat stuff over the last week or so :o the snow has restricked any detecting and it snowed last night again ::) so it was back to the scrap Bucket :wink:

The first thing I noticed was a small round Bronze object :icon_scratch: this turned out to be a coin that someone had started to turn into a ring :o can make out a right facing portraite of :dontknow: but can't make anything out from the reverse :'(

A couple of Roman items turned up :) a Roman nail cleaner and part of a Bell :o I also found a small Saxon Catterpillar Brooch :o :o

A piece of Bronze open work also which I think could be Viking :dontknow: but I'm not quite sure :dontknow: and a fragment of Medieval purse bar ;D

SS

Attachments

• bktf 001.JPG
    bktf 001.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,819
  • bktf 008.JPG
    bktf 008.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,812
  • bktf 006.JPG
    bktf 006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,820
  • bktf 011.JPG
    bktf 011.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,816
  • bktf 012.JPG
    bktf 012.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,820
  • bktf 015.JPG
    bktf 015.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,798
  • bktf 014.JPG
    bktf 014.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,807
  • bktf 013.JPG
    bktf 013.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,823
  • bktf 016.JPG
    bktf 016.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,737
  • bktf 017.JPG
    bktf 017.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,744
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull said:
Iron Patch & Constantinvs, All I have to say is you guys are great with the picture of that coin I was able to identify the image on what I thought was to hold a coin to be hammered. The image matches the very thin outline on the one I have. I will try to get a good pic and add it later in this tread, but not sure the outline of the image will come out. I'm not sure what image is on the back of this coin as the back is in really bad shape.

The first posted dates 1770-1775 and the one Ironhorse put on dates 1797. (only year)

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
1797 1oz Copper Twopence. Here is some additional information about the coin and why it was considered as a coin weight! Affectionately known as 'Cartwheels' because of their large size and weight, the 1oz copper penny coin is significant in being the first coin (along with the 2 oz copper twopence) to be produced using Matthew Boulton's steam powered coining press. The coins contained exactly one ounce (avoirdupois) of copper making them ideal as substitutes for weights in measuring produce, a task for which they were intentionally designed.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull said:
1797 1oz Copper Twopence. Here is some additional information about the coin and why it was considered as a coin weight! Affectionately known as 'Cartwheels' because of their large size and weight, the 1oz copper penny coin is significant in being the first coin (along with the 2 oz copper twopence) to be produced using Matthew Boulton's steam powered coining press. The coins contained exactly one ounce (avoirdupois) of copper making them ideal as substitutes for weights in measuring produce, a task for which they were intentionally designed.

Most of this is true other than the underlined.

1797 1oz Penny & 2oz Twopence were exactly that weight because at the time Britain was using the Silver Standard as the form of value to the coinage. This meant that when they produced the Copper coinage they wanted to follow the same principal. In that, at the time 1oz of Copper was worth a Penny, this was to uphold confidence in the value of the coinage in the market. The downside to this logic was obivious, the coinage was too big & heavy (made it unpopular). Therefore they canned the idea of linking the value/weight of Copper to coinage. Although it was unpopular, it later picked up the use of being a good/reliable Weight. So it was by accident & not design.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: More Finds from the Scrap Bucket

Iron Patch said:
CONSTANTINVS said:
ironhorse said:
I like that hammered up copper with the pieplate edge, I found a cartwheel done the same way a couple of years back, I never quite figured out why that was done to it.
I think it is a bank balance of weight, the coins were weighed on banks and shops, etc ... that's why some have the figure of the king of the time and so on.
I remember being told that a forum of numismatics.

Well I think your guess is on the right track only the ones posted are coins made into coin weights. Just a crude way to get what you need.
Yes, lets not get confused over official & legal Coin Weights which had the Kings/Queens head & those few Coins that were 'unofficially' used to weight things other than coins. The 'Cartwheel' issue were useful in that they were exactly 1oz or 2oz, however these were not used a coin weights (no 1oz or 2oz Gold coins exist, I believe). Only 'legal' & verified weights were acceptable for trade purposes.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: More Finds from the Scrap Bucket

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CONSTANTINVS said:
ironhorse said:
I like that hammered up copper with the pieplate edge, I found a cartwheel done the same way a couple of years back, I never quite figured out why that was done to it.
I think it is a bank balance of weight, the coins were weighed on banks and shops, etc ... that's why some have the figure of the king of the time and so on.
I remember being told that a forum of numismatics.

Well I think your guess is on the right track only the ones posted are coins made into coin weights. Just a crude way to get what you need.
Yes, lets not get confused over official & legal Coin Weights which had the Kings/Queens head & those few Coins that were 'unofficially' used to weight things other than coins. The 'Cartwheel' issue were useful in that they were exactly 1oz or 2oz, however these were not used a coin weights (no 1oz or 2oz Gold coins exist, I believe). Only 'legal' & verified weights were acceptable for trade purposes.

Aren't you guys the counterfeit kings of the universe! ;D What makes you think someone couldn't hammer the edge of a coin and use it as a weight?

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

Bit of track guys but never mind :D the only reason that the coin I posted, has edges like that, was for like I said....to turn it into a ring. Made from a George111 half penny :thumbsup:

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

Bit of track guys but never mind :D the only reason that the coin I posted, has edges like that, was for like I said....to turn it into a ring. Made from a George1 half penny :thumbsup:

SS

I agree, quite likely but if you read you'll see we are just throwing other suggestions out there and... the coin is George III.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

Bit of track guys but never mind :D the only reason that the coin I posted, has edges like that, was for like I said....to turn it into a ring. Made from a George1 half penny :thumbsup:

SS

I agree, quite likely agree but if you read you'll see we are just throwing other suggestions out there and... the coin is George III.
That's what I said :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

I agree, quite likely agree but if you read you'll see we are just throwing other suggestions out there and... the coin is George III.

oh yeah... I forgot I=III

Shaun should find something that will equal cartwheel, then maybe he could find one. ;D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Shaun should find something that will equal cartwheel, then maybe he could find one. ;D
shall I send him one ;D

Attachments

• lost treasure of the Cartwheel Kid 004.JPG
    lost treasure of the Cartwheel Kid 004.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 260

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

Actually... I was going to dig mine out the other day. I feel like I've found quite a few, but probably much less if I did a count. We do dig quite a few large coppers and the cartwheels are only a small %.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Absolutely hilarious....the pair of you >:( :D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

Actually... I was going to dig mine out the other day. I feel like I've found quite a few, but probably much less if I did a count. We do dig quite a few large coppers and the cartwheels are only a small %.
I have given away quite a few :-\

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

Don't tell me Shaun showed up again at Christmas wearing his Santa suit and ringing his Salvation Army bell.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

Don't tell me Shaun showed up again at Christmas wearing his Santa suit and ringing his Salvation Army bell.
A freind of mine has just sold two stunning examples of the Cartwheel for £75 each, the ships were still visible, never seen one dug with the ship still there, I think he could have got more.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

A freind of mine has just sold two stunning examples of the Cartwheel for £75 each, the ships were still visible, never seen one dug with the ship still there, I think he could have got more.

You mean he sold his non dug examples?

The problem is there's a never ending supply of high grade ones on Ebay. I've had nice examples of both the penny and twopence at one time or another. If I was a buying collector I would have held on to them.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

The problem is there's a never ending supply of high grade ones on Ebay. I've had nice examples of both the penny and twopence at one time or another. If I was a buying collector I would have held on to them.
No they were dug examples. still command a high price in Spinks...£1000 for Penny unc, £1200 for a two.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

No they were dug examples. still command a high price in Spinks...£1000 for Penny unc, £1200 for a two.

I've seen a lot of cartwheels sold and 75£ is VERY high for a dug one. I sold a very nice non dug for $80 USD and that was fair. Are you sure you got you s__t straight? ;D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

I've seen a lot of cartwheels sold and 75£ is VERY high for a dug one. I sold a very nice non dug for $80 USD and that was fair. Are you sure you got you s__t straight? ;D

That's what it says in the book IP!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

shall I send him one ;D

£75..is what the man said, no reason to doubt him, think a Canadian bought them ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions