My biggest find yet!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a lot of stuff over the years that worth a couple hundred dollars. Recently I've been taking chances on medical equipment and other electronic equipment. This was in a box at a yard sale today for three dollars. The lady told me that her husband had it never used it and passed away when they moved down Florida Earlier in 2013. So she was finally getting able to clean out the house and put this along with a ton of other stuff out for sale. I asked her what was she said it was a breathing machine. There are other parts in the garage still have to clean and all they are is Dusty. I did not see any on eBay that have sold however searching Google they selling at $2000+!!! It works perfectly fine and Has all the parts plus extras!!

image-1614754548.jpg

image-1346750364.jpg

image-792834155.jpg

Maybe one of you can find one that has sold online recently. But I was going to list it at $1700 or best offer. It was $3! If it sells for that I'm planning on getting wood floors in my living room.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
The reason they haven't sold is that they all get pulled by eBay. Most medical hardware especially stuff that is prescribed by a doctor such as your machine is forbidden on eBay. My brother works in the elder care field. Families give him this great stuff all the time when their family member dies. Most gets pulled.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason they haven't sold is that they all get pulled by eBay. Most medical hardware especially stuff that is prescribed by a doctor such as your machine is forbidden on eBay. My brother works in the elder care field. Families give him this great stuff all the time when their family member dies. Most gets pulled.

Great well I hope that's not the case. I'll give it a shot if he gets pulled that'll stink as I could really use the money for it. I did have a whole bunch of knee braces one time and it said something like you had to have a medical license to list them I listed them anyways and sold them all one by one after about four months.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be mistaken but I believe there are laws regarding the resale of used medical equipment. I know there are companies that will buy used medical devices and repurpose them. I once found a used sonogram machine at the Salvation Army and did not buy it for that reason. The thought that occurred to me was to export it to a foreign country.

Before you sell it you should be familiar with the federal regulations.

I found this post that you might want to read.

How do you sell a used Cpap machine on the internet?Ebay would not allow the listing because you need Dr'

BTW, I work in the medical field.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to list it on ebay, try listing under a related category like health & beauty other. It will be flagged even under the accessories category of the equipment. I've sold everything from tens units for $100 to a laser therapy machine for $3,300. Even sold an iGallop.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I know of a man that was doing that for a living if I remember right he to was in Florida an last I read he is still fighting going to jail.The feds went after him and like I said he was doing the same thing just in a larger way.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The Feds don't want medical equipment resold because they are wanting to protect the average Joe from himself. They also want to control who gives out medical equipment. There have been stories of people posing and acting like dentists and doctors, even though they have no training in medicine.

The manufacturers don't want a secondary market for their items. What manufacturer wouldn't want that?

I'm sure it is also a liability issue for the manufacturers too.

Lastly, if that machine is priced at $2,000, it is probably priced that high because insurance and Medicaid/Medicare will cover a good portion of the cost. Even if you could sell the machine, I'd say you would be lucky to get much more than $500 for it.

Take wheelchairs for example. The prices of those chairs used to be astronomical. I have a friend who deals in w-chairs, and he says that insurance is now paying very, very little for a w-chair, and Medicaid/Medicare is not paying as much either. I used to get $150 to $200 for a standard, good w-chair, which I sold to the local dealer. Now I'm lucky to get $50 at the flea market, and sometimes they sit for months. The last time I checked, you could buy a new chair for crazy cheap prices.

As a side note, the last w-chair I sold was not someone who had foot or leg surgery, but to a guy using the wheels to build a cargo trailer for his bicycle!

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like we need to stay away from this stuff... I got no problems wearing a dead guys shoes or wearing his jewelry but breathing his last breath is a little much... Trash it! Just my opinion...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling something that you think has a good possibility of being pulled, especially if it's valuable, would be an extremely dumb move because ebay could remove it in the middle of the transaction.... and who knows how it could end up. When this happens they automatically write the buyer with a warning, and of course that person is going to immediately file a claim.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone here need it? Lol like to help you catch your breath after that huge score? Maybe to help when the in laws are over or you're daughter is going out on a date? Just a thought!!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I avoid Medical supplies for the nightmare it is... Between Liability issues, legal issues and the facts that with obamacare, they are just not bringing anything near their value. Since (hopefully) most people will have insurance of some kind, these kinds of machines will be prescribed by a doctor and sold new to the insurance company. MOST of the people who actually NEED it are going to get it provided for them by their insurance. It's just not worth the hassle trying to deal with the loose ends when dealing with this stuff. No markup is worth that much.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Question, because I may buy a piece of medical equipment and I worry about the issue. What if the equipment is just a shell, all working parts not present and I could buy and sell as a Hollywood prop? It does look like something out of a movie.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try selling them on Craigslist,you'll probably get cash for them.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people buy these off Craigslist. They buy these either to save money or to keep from going to have an overnight sleep study. This machine corrects sleep disordered breathing and has a set pressure that eliminates respiratory events. The pressure is set for the pt. it was prescribed to. If the pressure is set too high it can cause central apneas, which means the brain is not telling the person to breathe. This is very dangerous. A Dr. in Toronto did a study on overtitration and prescribing cpap for complex apnea and found the mortality rate was much higher. I would not recommend selling this. Like the previous poster said, sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. There are plenty of other things out there to make a buck on.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a cpap, between medicare and my supplemental, it didn't cost me except the monthly amount I pay for the insurance, no out of pocket. Does yours come with a mask?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cpap, between medicare and my supplemental, it didn't cost me except the monthly amount I pay for the insurance, no out of pocket. Does yours come with a mask?

Yes. Ther is one with it. A Stethoscope also !

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you're not allowed to sell the stuff how come when you look on eBay or completed listings for usef medical equipment there's thousands of items. From electronic to wristbands some of them for selling $30,000-$50,000?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread