My first toy soldier

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first metal toy soldier digging today.
Way to hot to be digging but this soldier, although missing it's head, was a cool find.
I found the old medicine bottle next to it. I am thinking I found a trash pit and would like to dig it out someday.
Can anyone put a date on the soldier?

The bottle is cork top ABM but due to the seeding, I am thinking 20s.
IMG_4771.JPG
IMG_4770.JPG

Upvote 16

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool find, toys of the past are always cool

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the trash pit is in your own backyard, I wouldn't wait until someday. I would do it on your next available day. Properties change hands, and so many things could happen to where you may lose that site. Two months ago, I was hunting a vacant lot and found four silvers, one being a Walking Liberty Half. I was running late on time, and made one more pass only to receive an overload hit. I dug it only to find a sardine container waiting for me. I continued to dig and found a 1950's "Hillbilly Mountain Dew" bottle, along with broken pottery and glass. I had to leave for the day, but was back the next weekend to "make the pit even bigger" and continued to dig some nice relics, marbles, and 4 more whole bottles. Convinced I had found it all, I called it a wrap. 2 weeks later that vacant lot was for sale. Glad I got out there when I could. Congrats on your first Soldier, and a great looking bottle.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi NEOD, Your soldier is a rare one, and in mint condition, would command over $200.00 from collectors nowadays. It is a Manoil #79, titled in their catalog as "Soldier marching with gun slung at angle." Circa 1936-42. Hit that place hard for more of his battle buddies! Cheers, Sub 8-)

manoil soldier.jpg
Complete one...

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!Like Subterranean suggested keep digging that place.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad your soldier lost his head. Very cool just the same. I hope there's more to be found.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread