Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe! He does some pretty damn good diggin' using a machine he hates. It'll be scary when he gets one he likes!

Haha I know thats y I think itll happen

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get this mode deal
all it does is move one courser or may two
don't see the logic with garret with that when the vdi number is what your after
should be in all metal non motion and just watch the numbers

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Numbers...It don't need no stinkin numbers! Sure it has em but it sure don't need em!
Hunt by tone with this baby!

Iron audio, tone roll, Pro Zero all great things. Do wish it had a true AM/thresh though!

If you used one, you'd sure get it then!

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I'm sure I'm now being redundant and sounding like a broken record but this silly little machine just keep impressing me.

Last night I was more than a little bored so I took the ATP out in the front yard and picked a gum ball machine ring and 2 more memorials (buried not surface). You might think "big deal" but understand this small front yard has seen no less than 10 different detectors including E-tracs, Vx3 & Vaqueros by eight different detectorist. The yard has been thoroughly combed!

Now if you'll excuse me...I'm on a silver quest today. (well everyday, but I have a new spot picked out that looks ripe)
Glad to hear the AT pro is kicking but for you. But I would still learn the VX3 or the Minelab as best you are able. The fluty sounds of the Minelab you get used to and hear the goodies hiding beyond the rosies. And the same goes for the VX3 minus the fluty sounds.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds on that hunt. I'm still trying to get out and hit some parks. Though its tubing time here. So I'm glad it's waterproof up to 10'. Part of the reason why I got it. I will say I already saved somebody's foot from a bad cut. Somebody put a utility blade in the river. Glad to pull that out. Plus I found an ungodly amount of pull tabs and bottle caps. I dig all the tones, though in the river I'll probably only dig 80s+ (high tones). Thing is those bottle caps sound like rings. I've had a couple ring in the 80s, which was upsetting.
Hopefully in a day or two I can get to the park.
HH and keep the pics coming

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thing is those bottle caps sound like rings. I've had a couple ring in the 80s, which was upsetting.

Bottle caps can off sound pretty good sometimes, but if you listen you can almost always hear a low-high-low tone to them. It's quick but if you slow up & listen carefully they're pretty easy to id. Using the Iron Audio will help A LOT on the older rusty/crusty steel caps too. The trickiest one are the aluminum ones that have been flattened out. You dont get the low-high-low from the tone roll because they're flat. Still, they have a much larger audio "footprint" when checking with pin point. You can tell it's not a coin.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottle caps can off sound pretty good sometimes, but if you listen you can almost always hear a low-high-low tone to them. It's quick but if you slow up & listen carefully they're pretty easy to id. Using the Iron Audio will help A LOT on the older rusty/crusty steel caps too. The trickiest one are the aluminum ones that have been flattened out. You dont get the low-high-low from the tone roll because they're flat. Still, they have a much larger audio "footprint" when checking with pin point. You can tell it's not a coin.
Man,when I think I've discovered something new,I read your post,and you have found it out,and been using it for months!:laughing7: Your "spot on" about using the pin point! The flat alum caps can fool ya!:thumbsup:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish there was a way to discard pull tabs ya know? I know they fall in Nickel
and gold territory but still, wish there was a trick we can use similar to the bottle cap trick! LOL

Pete

Man,when I think I've discovered something new,I read your post,and you have found it out,and been using it for months!:laughing7: Your "spot on" about using the pin point! The flat alum caps can fool ya!:thumbsup:

agentic

Jun 18, 2013
Eastern Singapore
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I just wish there was a way to discard pull tabs ya know? I know they fall in Nickel
and gold territory but still, wish there was a trick we can use similar to the bottle cap trick! LOL

Pete

Ain't pick the tabs and caps out also increases your chance in future finding something more valuable? Or consider it a community service to the area your MDing?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pete
Yeah the other day I got a solid signal,and the VDI showed 42!:thumbsup: I thought it's just a pull tab,but then got to thinking,it might be a ring? So I swung over it several times to really check it out,then dug it! It was a pull tab!:BangHead: Man it sure sounded good,and had me going for a while!:laughing7: When I start water hunting,I'm gonna have to change my ways,and start checking out the lower signals. I pass them up for the most part,ground hunting now!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the most part I'll dig most of the signals. Especially in trashy areas. I'll hear multiple tones. Figure one of the tones could be something other than bullet casings or tabs. This last campsite I pulled out probably about 5 lbs of various casings and pulled out a dime and three pennies. The coins rang up the same as the casings. Masking is always a problem. So unless you're certain the area doesn't have a ton of trash I normally go by tone. Then of course after digging and retrieving. I scan it again. Nothing is worse than filling the hole to discover that a couple inches down is the more valuable target.
I swear I'm a turtle out there in the amount of area I cover. Compared to some I see that could cover a football field in 20 minutes. I figure I'm doing my duty of cleaning out the junk. Lol

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part I'll dig most of the signals. Especially in trashy areas. I'll hear multiple tones. Figure one of the tones could be something other than bullet casings or tabs. This last campsite I pulled out probably about 5 lbs of various casings and pulled out a dime and three pennies. The coins rang up the same as the casings. Masking is always a problem. So unless you're certain the area doesn't have a ton of trash I normally go by tone. Then of course after digging and retrieving. I scan it again. Nothing is worse than filling the hole to discover that a couple inches down is the more valuable target.
I swear I'm a turtle out there in the amount of area I cover. Compared to some I see that could cover a football field in 20 minutes. I figure I'm doing my duty of cleaning out the junk. Lol

I saw a guy the other day swinging really fast and moving fast.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a guy the other day swinging really fast and moving fast.

Got to remember also he may not know What he is doing I allways just go by What my manual says tells me to swing slow im gonna it was a big difference for me going from the Atpro to the v3i the pro is a much faster swing while the v3i needs a slower swing to get everything in the ground anylized can i speed it up with adjusting yes but I may also miss targets goin to fast not overlapin swings

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess,I'm going to have to change my attitude!:laughing7: Once I had kids,I had THEM to take the trash out! Hard to teach a old dog new tricks!:laughing7:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUT there are times when swinging fast v swinging slow is in order!
My friend and I hit a few playgrounds one day last week. Talk about fast!
We were in and out very quickly. No need for a slow swing speed when in
these areas! If you go over a coin/ring you'll know it with out a doubt!

ON the other hand yeh, if you're in a trashy site and you KNOW there are coins
around then yeh swing slower and listen carefully.

Two different huntin styles takes different strategies...

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL YEH! it increases your chance for future finds!
That's why I dig em'

I said... I wish there was a way to discard pulltabs...... But there isn't right!

And if there was a way! I would leave em' all behind and just get the coins/rings wouldn't everyone!

But like I said there isn't a way to distinguish between the two so for now
we have to dig em if we expect good finds... LOL

Wow!

Ain't pick the tabs and caps out also increases your chance in future finding something more valuable? Or consider it a community service to the area your MDing?

agentic

Jun 18, 2013
Eastern Singapore
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
WELL YEH! it increases your chance for future finds!
That's why I dig em'

I said... I wish there was a way to discard pulltabs...... But there isn't right!

And if there was a way! I would leave em' all behind and just get the coins/rings wouldn't everyone!

But like I said there isn't a way to distinguish between the two so for now
we have to dig em if we expect good finds... LOL

Wow!

Worst part is that pull tabs register the same tone as gold :( talk about anti-climax

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATP does have a tendency to ring up really nice on most pull tabs. Sometime it'll get scratchy on the pop top types but never on the beaver tails.
I've used other machines that do much better on the pull tabs. But I still prefer the ATP overall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread