NC Question

TwT

Dec 4, 2006
Lincolnton, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. GT
Hi, This is my first post and I got a question for the NC people, I just ordered a Sov Gt and also a WOT coil, I am going to spend Christmas at Beach Mountain NC this year and read on the net that in the 1800's they use to find potato gold there and was wanting to do so detecting and panning there this year. Is there something I need to get as of permits or permissions to prospect or detect there or am I just wasting my time, found a site that have Avery county on it for gold, would just like to hear what yaw think? Oh Im from Lincoln County Ga.

Rebel

Jan 31, 2005
Re: NC Question...

Yo! Rebel here: ;D NOT from N.C., BUT! Am researching stuff like U... you probably mean BEECH Mountain... maybe it is High County, dunno... ANYWAY... just do engine search on BEECH Mountain... they have TONS of stuff to do... and U may find "permit" info, too... dunno. ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potato Gold ?

I don't want to Burst your Bubble, But the sovereign,
Although an Awsone Coin & Relic Machine especially with
the WOT added, is Not a Gold Detector.

If Potao gold is as Large as Potatos, it will work.

But I Don't think it's
going to find small Nuggets, except maby in all Metal.

WILL-D

Nov 1, 2006
Rock Hill, S.C.
Detector(s) used
GARRETT SCORPION
THE POTATOE PATCH IS DOWN BELOW ALBEMARLE, NC. AND I DON'T THINK THERE ARE ANY LEFT. YOU MIGHT TRY THE COTTON PATCH MINE THERE

1Privateer

Oct 3, 2006
Eastern NC-Pirate Country!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Gtp 1350 Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Do a search for Little Switzerland and Luray Caverns. They have several mines in that area that you can pan for gold at. As far as I know you only have to have permission from the land owner except in the National Park Areas. Don't know where you are going to be staying but I'm sure you can get some info from the locals and the COC. Be extrememly nice though, NC people can be really clannish in certain areas of the mountains and along the coast. Can't blame them any, dem dern fer'ners got a way o really mess'n things up fer everybody! If you is frum Ga. den youse knows wat I means. Idjits tore down 3 acres of my corn with their four wheelers afore I got some buckshot in the air. They got a way but I got one of the bikes and held it hostage until I got my money for the damage to the corn and bridge.

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006
my wife's aunt and uncle have a house near the top of beach mountain. they have about 8 acres if im not mistaken... think its time to go skiing soon...

TammyNC123

Dec 24, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I live near the Cotton Patch Gold Mine it is just West of Albemarle in New London. You turn off of Hwy 52 onto 742 into New London go a few miles to Gurdy Rd make a Rt. There is another mind right beside it as well I can't remember the name right off hand, something creek I think. both are good I have several small pieces from Cotton patch I panned. They have all you need to rent or you can bring your own equipment they will sell you the buckets. Its brought in straight from the mines. The Gold hill Area of NC is a very good area to pan in creeks but you have to make sure you have permission from land owners.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
Anyone know what the name of the gold mine next to cotton patch is ? I saw it week before last but didn't pay attention to the name. Cotton Patch is closed on Mon and Tue. I'm going to be up there on Mon & Tue for the next few weeks during bow season and want to do some mining. If the creeks are still dry I'll need some public place to go.
thanks
Charles

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
If you go to Mt. Creek, let me know, I might try and catch up with you. I am off next week. Mt. Creek also allows Metal Detecting for gold, Cotton Patch does not. I have panned at Cotton Patch, but only stopped by Mt. Creek once.

I may be able to get a place to go, also, if you don't want to go to the gold mine.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used
nc-joe said:
If you go to Mt. Creek, let me know, I might try and catch up with you. I am off next week. Mt. Creek also allows Metal Detecting for gold, Cotton Patch does not. I have panned at Cotton Patch, but only stopped by Mt. Creek once.

I may be able to get a place to go, also, if you don't want to go to the gold mine.

I have tried calling Mt Creek all day with no answer, 704-463-7749. I'm going up to my camper in Uwharrie Monday and stay until Wed or Thur PM. Going to do some bow hunting and panning. Cotton Patch is closed Mpn & Tue and sure would like to know when Mt. Creek is open. It's only about a 20 min drive for me from the camper on River Road.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I think they're "always" open. There is a mobile home at the end of the drive and the lady that lives there is the mother (i think) of the guy who owns the place. When I talked to her she gave the impression they're always there and people are always welcome. You can pan, sluth, MD, swim and anything else you want to do for a few bucks.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used
nc-joe said:
I think they're "always" open. There is a mobile home at the end of the drive and the lady that lives there is the mother (i think) of the guy who owns the place. When I talked to her she gave the impression they're always there and people are always welcome. You can pan, sluth, MD, swim and anything else you want to do for a few bucks.

Sounds interesting. I have been wanting to try my old Tesoro PIranha and see if it really will hit on gold.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used
nc-joe said:

You and I might need to talk about Island Creek Gold Mine just behind my camper.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Detector(s) used
At last got an answer at Mt. Creek Gold Mine. The Lady said they are open 7 days a week, 8AM till dark. Panning is $10.00 per day, didn't get the other prices.
Phone number is 704-463-7749

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread