Need some info on mining claim rules

Jul 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a mining claim online without checking it out first and after reading this forum I realized it was probably not a good idea.
Now I finally made it out to look at my claim, I found it but couldn't find any markers, it says it was marked by three foot stone monuments but I couldn't find anything like that and i'm not sure if they are there somewhere or not.
I have a few questions and I hope some of you here can help me.
First is if the claim does not have monuments that serve as markers is it a valid claim? Can the map or GPS locations serve as documentation enough or does it need physical markers?
Can you rent use of a claim? My intention was to try to rent use of the claim to vacationers for some fee per weeks permission of use. If so how would you go about something like that?
My final question is how can I find out if the claim is valid, can I call the BLM?
The seller I bought it from has sold a bunch of claims, some in the same area as mine and has all positive feedback but I realize that does not mean much.
Any help or info is much appreciated, Thanks.

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet, SSH - hope you have a lot of patience, cause this may be a long thread. First, we need to know the state and possibly the county as it can make a difference.

OP
OP
SilverShareHolder
Jul 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet, SSH - hope you have a lot of patience, cause this may be a long thread. First, we need to know the state and possibly the county as it can make a difference.
Thanks Fullpan
It's in San bernardino CA

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome silver, According to what the BLM told me GPS is ok but physical markers are best. Lack of markers doesn't invalidate the claim but it can cause problems in crossfiling cases such as having your but hauled to court. Claims are rented or leased all the time. All you need is a simple rental agreement or if you are into old school a handshake will do. To find out if it is valid contact the BLM giving claim name, MMC number, township and range, section and quarter section, and previous owners name and address. They will let you know if it is valid.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
SilverShareHolder
Jul 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome silver, According to what the BLM told me GPS is ok but physical markers are best. Lack of markers doesn't invalidate the claim but it can cause problems in crossfiling cases such as having your but hauled to court. Claims are rented or leased all the time. All you need is a simple rental agreement or if you are into old school a handshake will do. To find out if it is valid contact the BLM giving claim name, MMC number, township and range, section and quarter section, and previous owners name and address. They will let you know if it is valid.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Thanks a lot for all the information!
Sounds like good news. Hopefully everything checks out, i'm thinking it will.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Just go to your local BLM, give them the claim number and ask to see the file on that claim, it will have all the info you need.

If its legit.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hefty i am or will be going to Sac BLM, interested in going?
Just go to your local BLM, give them the claim number and ask to see the file on that claim, it will have all the info you need.

If its legit.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local offices don't have file papers,only sacramento. Simply go to your county recorders office as ALL claims start,and end their. Annual filing also will provide what you need to see if meeting requirements was done. EXTREMELY sorry to hear you BOUGHT a claim as 90%+ bs-John

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Local offices don't have file papers,only sacramento. Simply go to your county recorders office as ALL claims start,and end their. Annual filing also will provide what you need to see if meeting requirements was done. EXTREMELY sorry to hear you BOUGHT a claim as 90%+ bs-John

I stand corrected...Thanks John.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions