New E-Trac ~ Handling Iron Targets Video..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
jeff of pa said:
Do you still have your first explorer ?

that thing looked like a Relic
Was even Toned like one :wink:

No, been through several. I got sick of dealing with Minelab service so when they go floppy I sell em as is and buy another. The guy you bought the detector from obviously didn't use it much, it was basically new.

he was an elderly gentlemen upper 70's early 80's
Bought a new one yearly Was after a cache
in the town his Father grew up in.
the town became Extinct. & he was / is convinced it was/is there.

Not sure What Happend to him

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Well I went ahead and ordered one. Live and learn. My DFX crapped out, and the Excalibur works great, but I want another dry land detector. Thought I would give it a try.
I like buzzers and bells anyway. Not to say I won’t just leave it on one setting after awhile.
That’s what I did with the DFX. But I like having the display for night hunting etc.
So now I have another detector on the way in and my wife might be on the out when she finds it at the front door. Please put me in you prayers. ;D

Dale

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I tried to mimic this test with my Explorer SE Pro. Please let me know what you think:
http://minelabowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19653

I don't think the E-TRAC in that video was picking up the IRON close to the dime and registering that as well because of the precise way that they placed the nails and the fact that the detector didn't make any sound when the dime was removed.

There's another interesting video comparing the SE vs. the Xterra 70 with iron in my post as well.

I really hope it's not bells and whistles because we could use a nice breakthrough in technology. That said, by the time our grandkids (I'm 31) are old enough to metal detect, hopefully the technology isn't too far advanced so there's something left for them to stay interested in the hobby.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
I tried to mimic this test with my Explorer SE Pro. Please let me know what you think:

I don't think the E-TRAC in that video was picking up the IRON close to the dime and registering that as well because of the precise way that they placed the nails and the fact that the detector didn't make any sound when the dime was removed.

There's another interesting video comparing the SE vs. the Xterra 70 with iron in my post as well.

I really hope it's not bells and whistles because we could use a nice breakthrough in technology. That said, by the time our grandkids (I'm 31) are old enough to metal detect, hopefully the technology isn't too far advanced so there's something left for them to stay interested in the hobby.

Your test shows something that I said earlier, swinging faster and quicker response can be a negative for accurate discrimination at depth. Anyone who wants an explorer to react quicker probably swings through iron infested sites fast and they rely more on the detector then their ears. If they're detecting that way already than faster recovery might help, but i don't think it would be any advantage for me.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
RootMaster said:

Your test shows something that I said earlier, swinging faster and quicker response can be a negative for accurate discrimination at depth. Anyone who wants an explorer to react quicker probably swings through iron infested sites fast and they rely more on the detector then their ears. If they're detecting that way already than faster recovery might help, but i don't think it would be any advantage for me.

Let's be honest now... you have to got REALLY slow with the explorer (2 seconds from left to right is as fast as you can go through iron, and that's probably too fast)... and you need an unobstructed view of the coin for the detector to even see it. If there is a nail on top of it, forget it. Being able to cover more ground means more finds... if I could speed up my swing speed I definitely would do it.

Please understand me though, I'm not bagging on the Explorer... most every detector out there nulls in iron. If they are doing something to change that I'm game.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
Iron Patch said:
RootMaster said:

Let's be honest now... you have to got REALLY slow with the explorer (2 seconds from left to right is as fast as you can go through iron, and that's probably too fast)... and you need an unobstructed view of the coin for the detector to even see it. If there is a nail on top of it, forget it. Being able to cover more ground means more finds... if I could speed up my swing speed I definitely would do it.

Please understand me though, I'm not bagging on the Explorer... most every detector out there nulls in iron. If they are doing something to change that I'm game.

You wiggle the Explorer coil in iron, if you're taking a full swing you are missing targets because you need to do lots of rechecking sounds to get a repeat of a very masked target. As for needing an unobstructed view that is only true if you need clear signals, but that's not how it is when you're trying to work out the last targets in iron. With other detetors that generally means digging broken sounds, the explorer is a little different because it also nulls.

I don't feel you're bagging the Explorer and even if you were people are free to say and feel any way they want and it doesn't bother me a bit. All this is just killing time between hunts. :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
You wiggle the Explorer coil in iron, if you're taking a full swing you are missing targets because you need to do lots of rechecking sounds to get a repeat of a very masked target. As for needing an unobstructed view that is only true if you need clear signals, but that's not how it is when you're trying to work out the last targets in iron. With other detetors that generally means digging broken sounds, the explorer is a little different because it also nulls.

I've been in iron so heavy you don't hear a peep from the threshold or the tones... nothing! I've gone slow, changed directions, "wiggled it just a little bit" with a happy dance... nothin' This was around the perimeter of a 140 year old house that used to be a train station! I KNOW there were coins there... I just couldn't "see" anything with the Explorer. Wiggling everywhere would be way too slow of a search method IMO.

I would strongly encourage everyone to try that rusty nail test and see just how picky the Explorer is with sweep speed, and the angle that you are hitting the target at. It's an interesting test to say the least and even if you are a pro you will learn or relearn something for sure.

I bet if I dug every falsing nail sound I'd have some more old coins, but I would also have a huge monster bag of nails. The tricky thing I've found with those falsing iron/nail hits, is that the coil reads it differently than the Sunray probe does.. and the probe doesn't seem to false... but you don't know if you really dug down deep enough until you've dug a 12" deep hole and sifted through all of the dirt. This really wears on you and eventually I stop digging those kinds of signals after I get a few too many on a day.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
Iron Patch said:

I've been in iron so heavy you don't hear a peep from the threshold or the tones... nothing! I've gone slow, changed directions, "wiggled it just a little bit" with a happy dance... nothin' This was around the perimeter of a 140 year old house that used to be a train station! I KNOW there were coins there... I just couldn't "see" anything with the Explorer. Wiggling everywhere would be way too slow of a search method IMO.

I would strongly encourage everyone to try that rusty nail test and see just how picky the Explorer is with sweep speed, and the angle that you are hitting the target at. It's an interesting test to say the least and even if you are a pro you will learn or relearn something for sure.

I bet if I dug every falsing nail sound I'd have some more old coins, but I would also have a huge monster bag of nails. The tricky thing I've found with those falsing iron/nail hits, is that the coil reads it differently than the Sunray probe does.. and the probe doesn't seem to false... but you don't know if you really dug down deep enough until you've dug a 12" deep hole and sifted through all of the dirt. This really wears on you and eventually I stop digging those kinds of signals after I get a few too many on a day.

I only hunt fields and have never encountered a situation that the detetor couldn't handle. Regardless of what detector you use, if you're hunting wall to wall iron all you can do is put your head down and dig. A smaller coil may help but again not my thing and never needed. Others may agree with what you experience if they hunt similar sites.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Iron Patch said:
I just watched that video again and I must have not really been paying attention. I hope no one thinks that detector is fast enough to null the nail, detect the coin, then null the nail again? lol It's just combining the sound and giving a signal... just like my XS does in iron! :D A modern American dime is not something I find but is the sound not just a little low? (Meaning it's a combined tone) ...and why not use a silver coin for the test? Next time I'm out I'm going to dig a few nails and try that test myself cuz I ain't buying it.

Got a E Track and with the right settings. YES IT IS THAT FAST no tricks it will work tried it my self.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
If I swing my old explorer that fast it may not even see the coin with out the iron. So yes it is much faster. If I can cover more ground I would have to think that would be a advantage just my thoughts.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
If I swing my old explorer that fast it may not even see the coin with out the iron. So yes it is much faster. If I can cover more ground I would have to think that would be a advantage just my thoughts.

That's a lot of ifs. :D

I bet any Explorer will do that test.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
Jason in TN said:

That's only 2 if's... I would hardly consider that a lot. :wink:

I know an explorer cannot do what is shown in those E-TRAC videos because I've tried it with my SE Pro. The SE Pro CAN find stuff, as well demonstrated by everyone on this forum using them, but the E-TRAC WILL work faster and deeper because of it. The E-TRAC has an edge over the SE Pro. However, seasoned pros with the SE Pro or older explorers even, can run circles around newbies with the E-TRAC. I would say if you are determined though, the Explorer and E-TRAC can be learned quickly enough.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
Iron Patch said:
Jason in TN said:

but the E-TRAC WILL work faster and deeper because of it.

Maybe faster but I bet not deeper. It will reset quicker, meaning it will move on to the next target faster and not do as good a job ID'ing the deep stuff.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the test at 8" or more and then tell us what you come up with..Very curious as I liked the XS better than the Se I had..

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
If you guys read any of the reports on the minelabowners forums, you'll know that the E-TRAC definitely goes a little bit deeper (maybe an inch), but what makes it seem even deeper still (like it has 3 inches more of depth) is the fact that it sounds off cleanly on targets that would otherwise be iffy signals on the SE Pro and later.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
If you guys read any of the reports on the minelabowners forums, you'll know that the E-TRAC definitely goes a little bit deeper (maybe an inch), but what makes it seem even deeper still (like it has 3 inches more of depth) is the fact that it sounds off cleanly on targets that would otherwise be iffy signals on the SE Pro and later.

...and so did every new coil and each new Explorer. It's like a sugar pill test, some will always believe it's doing something.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Iron Patch said:
RootMaster said:
Iron Patch said:
Jason in TN said:

but the E-TRAC WILL work faster and deeper because of it.

Maybe faster but I bet not deeper. It will reset quicker, meaning it will move on to the next target faster and not do as good a job ID'ing the deep stuff.

Finally got the it is faster part out of the way we have now decided that it is faster. That is a + for sure covering more ground and finding more targets that are being mask by iron. We will have to work on the deeper part dug a Three ringer today in a spot my SE got no targets last time I was out about 11in deep came in loud and clear. Also dug several scraps of brass and a 22cal bullet at about 4in I am impressed so far. It is 100% for sure faster to recover it is more comfortable to swing. It is much more stable. The threshold returns and stays at higher sens. than my SE. Is it deeper That Question I can not answer for sure yet. Just giving my observations so far.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
RootMaster said:

...and so did every new coil and each new Explorer. It's like a sugar pill test, some will always believe it's doing something.

Well I won't know for sure until I get one... but even then you could say it's psychosomatic until YOU get one and try it. Heh, but EVEN THEN!!! you could say it's psychosomatic. Well I guess there is no way to win this argument. There are just way too many factors that make a metal detector work for some, and not work for others. Even if someone did a side by side air and ground test between two detectors, there could be SO many reasons why one works better than the other. I concede! All other metal detectors are potentially better than the E-TRAC! Especially if you forget to put the batteries in the E-TRAC! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions