New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread.

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "inbox" says I have 77 messages, yet it also says I have 247 stored out of 500? Tried to delete some but couldn't locate the "delete" tab/button after checking the individual boxes? Also,.....how do we send private PM's to other members now? I don't see the quick link at left anymore?

The big bold red PM's are unread. So imagine you have 77 of those. The conversion only pulled PM's from several days ago. We will do our best to go back and add all the PM's we can find.

Tick the box to the right and then at the bottom righthand corner you will see a little drop down box. In there is mark as read, mark as unread. delete, etc.

To PM someone, simply click on their username and a drop down box will appear with all the options :)

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, what is the "like" feature for, exactly?

It's just an easy way for you to "Like" a find or a comment without starting a new post of a 5 letter word like "Nice!"

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "inbox" says I have 77 messages, yet it also says I have 247 stored out of 500? Tried to delete some but couldn't locate the "delete" tab/button after checking the individual boxes? Also,.....how do we send private PM's to other members now? I don't see the quick link at left anymore?

You might have some in your "Sent Items" folder a swell, ie, the outbox.

To mass delete, there should be a checkbox you can check that selects every message on the screen. Then below the list, there's a grey drop down box that lets you do different things with the messages you have selected. One is Delete.

To send a PM to another member, simply click on their username in a thread (or from your friends list or members list) and a menu should pop up, on that menu you should have the option to PM them.

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a ? will the imagies show up as pictures in the thread or as links. i ask because i was checking my end roll finds thread and noticed all the photographs are links. i hope they will return to pictures in the post and not stay as links.

They will be images. The database is STILL loading all the attachments. It's taken well over 24 hours and the servers are still crunching their CPU's off o_0

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just an easy way for you to "Like" a find or a comment without starting a new post of a 5 letter word like "Nice!"

Also don't forget that as a long threads gets likes, it gives you a quick way to click on the "Likes" at the top of the thread and find the most liked posts in the thread. This will help you jump directly to the post that might contain the information your looking for. So it can be a time-saving tool as well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the purpose behind the software change? Seems this change has added a lot of user navigation to an otherwise simple format.

K

kd8lxt

so far i like the new site. it's faster, but some codex download thing did pop up automatically and block my whole screen.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still having issues regarding log in. After getting a email from John someone from T-net, I used the temporary password to log in and change my old password. I logged in with that temporary. After doing this I was allowed to change my password. So I logout to test drive the new password and it still will not let me in. I used the Temporary password John gave me and it logged me back in again!!! It will not no matter what I do recognize my log in name and password. Since this temporary password expires tomorrow I guess my membership will too as i will not be allowed to sign in. Why mess a good thing up when it was fine is beyond me. I am aware changes need to be made but to revamp the whole site will only create issues and a whole lot of ticked off members. Baby steps will create a strong foundation, giants leaps will lead to a weak foundation that will crumble in the end!!!! Please fix this issue with my membership before I cannot log in period.!!!!.............GET THE POINT!!!

wicked

Mar 22, 2012
San Jose, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still having issues regarding log in. After getting a email from John someone from T-net, I used the temporary password to log in and change my old password. I logged in with that temporary. After doing this I was allowed to change my password. So I logout to test drive the new password and it still will not let me in. I used the Temporary password John gave me and it logged me back in again!!! It will not no matter what I do recognize my log in name and password. Since this temporary password expires tomorrow I guess my membership will too as i will not be allowed to sign in. Why mess a good thing up when it was fine is beyond me. I am aware changes need to be made but to revamp the whole site will only create issues and a whole lot of ticked off members. Baby steps will create a strong foundation, giants leaps will lead to a weak foundation that will crumble in the end!!!! Please fix this issue with my membership before I cannot log in period.!!!!.............GET THE POINT!!!

Did you go here to change your password? Also try clearing your web browser cache. Let us know if you continue to have issues and we'll try to get you squared away. Thanks for your patience.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the purpose behind the software change? Seems this change has added a lot of user navigation to an otherwise simple format.

I was just about to ask the same thing. It was great, everyone loved it as is, and now it's different. I hope it was a necessity because it was certainly quite a risk buying this place and changing it. I'm a fairly regular poster on a site that's quite similar, and it's true that now I am used to it, but I still don't think it's the best to navigate and it's nowhere near as big or as busy as the T-net is/was. What I see there is thousands of members join but not many stick around, and I think that's a direct result of the format.

Really hope it works out.

cereal killer

Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to save the new password or it reverts back to the one John sent you. Press Save after you change it

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow i cant stand the new forum..It was perfect why change it..oh i see a tiny banner area and a huge advertisement..

Welcome to the 21st century..

Blaze

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to ask the same thing. It was great, everyone loved it as is, and now it's different. I hope it was a necessity because it was certainly quite a risk buying this place and changing it. I'm a fairly regular poster on a site that's quite similar, and it's true that now I am used to it, but I still don't think it's the best to navigate and it's nowhere near as big or as busy as the T-net is/was. What I see there is thousands of members join but not many stick around, and I think that's a direct result of the format.

Really hope it works out.
Yep...have to agree with you. I think Tnet's old, simpler format was the reason it retained it's high user base.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The old site was pieced together with a lot of code that was spread across 3 individuals and built up over a number of years. It was code that doesn't run on the newer versions of PHP and it was built specifically for an old version of SMF that has not been supported for a very long time. An upgrade was a requirement. Since an upgrade was needed we had to ask ourselves if it made sense to use vBulletin (which we are very familiar with) or SMF (which we are not familiar with) and decided to use vBulletin.

We aren't done with the upgrade, far from it. We are still adding stuff, tweaking things. The site isn't as fast as it should be because we are still importing attachments. The navigation isn't done yet and we can certainly tweak it.

What we need are specifics. When you say it's harder to navigate now then before, please give details.

Why is it harder? What steps did you take before that don't work now?

We are here to work things out and make it as good as it can be, but we need feedback and details to do it together. I'm sure that if we can work together we can make this place even better then it was before. It won't be easy. It will take time. But all things in life worthwhile usually take work.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to save the new password or it reverts back to the one John sent you. Press Save after you change it

Seriously did my post make me sound like a dummy. Really you think I did not do this??? I did this, I did all of this and it still did not work. I did however find the root cause of the issue. It is the direct log in at top of page. The hyperlink is broke!!!! It will not open with a correct password and reverts to same page. This is also true of the one in the center of page. The one log in to the right of the page and center is the one that worked for me!!!

cereal killer

Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously did my post make me sound like a dummy. Really you think I did not do this??? I did this, I did all of this and it still did not work. I did however find the root cause of the issue. It is the direct log in at top of page. The hyperlink is broke!!!! It will not open with a correct password and reverts to same page. This is also true of the one in the center of page. The one log in to the right of the page and center is the one that worked for me!!!
I thought you said you logged in fine with john's password he sent and then you went to the page where you change your password. So I assumed you did not save it. You're not a dummy at all :) it's an easy thing to pass over if you are unfamiliar with the new layout.

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...have to agree with you. I think Tnet's old, simpler format was the reason it retained it's high user base.

There was actually a ton of things wrong with the old system, it's security and the usergroups. A lot of members weren't getting the correct permissions for banner finds, memberships etc. There were security holes and issues that the normal member never sees. We're lucky that nothing happened to the database before and we now have the ability to streamline a lot of the processes so that permissions can be granted quickly and efficiently.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will look into this and see if we can find the cause of it. Sorry it did not work for you.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was actually a ton of things wrong with the old system, it's security and the usergroups. A lot of members weren't getting the correct permissions for banner finds, memberships etc. There were security holes and issues that the normal member never sees. We're lucky that nothing happened to the database before and we now have the ability to streamline a lot of the processes so that permissions can be granted quickly and efficiently.

Listen I'm open for any advancement as long as it is a gradual ascent. Problem is people do not conform to change to well. As far as me I love the new site!!!! Looks outstanding. As a businessman, I to have my own website and I am constantly tweaking it to get the best appearance and fluency through page transition as possible. Do not be discouraged by the nay-sayers. I know how to log in now but those two links i mentioned that contain the log in spots need to be fixed. As I said the one to the right of page and down midway is the one I was able to log in with. The hyperlink on the page that tells about the changes upon opening T-net leads you to a log in link that also did not work for me. I am just trying to help, I'm glad i found a way to log in but this definitely needs to be fixed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old site was pieced together with a lot of code that was spread across 3 individuals and built up over a number of years. It was code that doesn't run on the newer versions of PHP and it was built specifically for an old version of SMF that has not been supported for a very long time. An upgrade was a requirement. Since an upgrade was needed we had to ask ourselves if it made sense to use vBulletin (which we are very familiar with) or SMF (which we are not familiar with) and decided to use vBulletin.

We aren't done with the upgrade, far from it. We are still adding stuff, tweaking things. The site isn't as fast as it should be because we are still importing attachments. The navigation isn't done yet and we can certainly tweak it.

What we need are specifics. When you say it's harder to navigate now then before, please give details.

Why is it harder? What steps did you take before that don't work now?

We are here to work things out and make it as good as it can be, but we need feedback and details to do it together. I'm sure that if we can work together we can make this place even better then it was before. It won't be easy. It will take time. But all things in life worthwhile usually take work.

By far the best feature on the T-net as far as navigation was concerned was the ability to click "replies" and bring up all the posts you replied to. That is what gave flow to the threads and will be lost unless you have something that's close to the equivalent. If I owned this site I would figure out the best way, and create a sticky post or something to that effect to really show people how they can use this like the old Treasure net. The other forum I joined maybe a year ago that's similar... I kid you not, in the first week I posted it was hard to navigate because I couldn't keep track of where I posted. To date that really hasn't changed, and I probably miss posts that I would have liked to have seen, but I simply didn't see the thread again. That's the problem I think you'll have with both old users and new ones coming to the site, and essentially it will create a cap for the user base because once there's so many new posts happening it will be a challenge to say the least to follow the threads you replied on. Now I know there has been a few replies about this so far, but I didn't see anything that really works, and am not sure if I am clicking, or changing a setting to the correct format. And if I don't know, there's probably several thousand more people that will log on and wonder the same thing.... which is why I suggest figuring out the best way, and making it clear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread