News spills coin roll secrets

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excuse me for any profanity or anything bad i say but this guy is a f**** lunatic, he just ruined the hobby for many people and possibly for himself too. Again sorry but one of the first rule of coin roll hunting is to not tell anyone.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If you read the comments, not everyone will take up the hobby now. However, there will be more people searching now.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this forum isn't ruining the hobby? Just look at all the greenhorn, wet behind the ears, rookie CRHers there are on here now.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell my friends about coin roll hunting and not a single one of them has jumped in and started doing it. Most of them know nothing about silver coinage since they were all born in the 80's and quite frankly don't want to invest the time and effort into doing it. They're either out having drinks with their friends or playing xbox. I have a Monday through Friday job from 9 to 5 so I usually don't go out much during the week, gives me time to coin roll hunt :)

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This crh is not for every one who would look at 1000ss of coins for a $1 or 2 if your lucky. Not many its all good. If it was easy there would be many more doing it. Money is tight and the newbees that read how to do it on here still can't do it. With out 100 how toosss?? Do this and that. So just do your thing its all good. Theres tons of silver out there. Am still working on my 1st ton..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder how many people are going to Youtube now and searching CRHing, AT 1:54 today the video was at 37,811 views, just checked it again, now it's at 62,577. it jumped almost 30,000 views in 6 hours!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a skeptic of public intelligence, we have nothing to worry about. for example, a response to this video

"Or maybe he could get a second job flipping burgers, for $8.00 per hour, and maybe get a free meal.
Or maybe a girlfriend, a dog, how about a life."

This is what the average joe thinks about a video like this. plus, this guy doesn't go over the top, whether purposefully or not, and does not make it look very appealing. in fact, this video makes me want to stop CRH. he's got his glasses down to the tip of his nose, laying on the floor, and going through dimes. I love going through dimes, don't get me wrong, but if he was pulling 1964 kennedys, "12 bucks" a coin is much more appealing than "2 bucks" per coin. I know people that throw their change on the ground after buying groceries. we live in a nation of over 300 million people with waste on their minds. let's capitalize!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg the humanity.....rofl you guys crack me up thinking nobody has heard coin roll hunting

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
omg the humanity.....rofl you guys crack me up thinking nobody has heard coin roll hunting

I never said nobody has heard of it before, but a video making it to MSN, I'm sure is not very good for the hobby, thats all. Maverick.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This video is one of thousands on the topic. Been going on since 1965. Take a chill pill

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't really scare me. I have several relatives who have literally witnessed me pulling 90% silver out of rolls. Not a single one, however has shown interest in doing it themselves. People who CRH thousands of dollars a week are weird, myself included. The vast majority of people might be amused by the idea, but lets face the facts, the hassle of searching and dumping, especially without a bag deposit system gets quite time consuming. It's not for the casual coin person. It's been said time and time again, it is a hobby not a get rich quick scheme. In my area, unless I get a decent box (which is rare) a part time job is actually more profitable. I willing only a very small handful of people that watch that video will actually start ordering $$$$ of boxes every week.

It's not at all a good thing for us that this video is out there, because more competition is always worse, but this is not as gloomy as some might make it out to be.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they'll quickly find out there are no silver dimes in circulation anyways

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok... big deal, there are plenty of hunters out there anyway... just as we pluck out the silvers, more collections are being dumped... it's a vicious cycle I have to say... everybody is so protective of their turf...

hh
buff

p.s. as halves become more and more dry, more and more folks will move to dimes, though i have been skunked on my last 10 or so dime boxes so there are truely not that many silver dimes out there, and halvesare even worse for me.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, Buffalo Boy is right. I always find it funny that CRHers are so protective of everything and think we're part of some secret "club" that no one would have figured out on their own just by realizing that a 1964 and 1965 quarter look the same to the average person. Its also amusing that metal detectorists join clubs and have organized hunts and generally try to help each other out when MDing will almost never replenish itself. Once a Merc is dug, it isn't going back in the ground, however, a guy who CRHed a Merc back in the 1960s might have accidentally released it back into circulation, someone could have CRHed it in 1975 when it was dumped with the rest of his collection in 1985 when it was picked up by a collector in 1990 who's kids raided their coin collection to pay for candy in 2011 when it got shipped out to the coin carriers and rediscovered by a CRHer in 2012.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the good thing about it coming out now vs. the mania phases is people are less likely to hunt when its 19-20x face versus 30+ , especially since they were only advertising dimes.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure the video will make more people aware of the hobby, and a there might be a few new CRHers here and there, but how many will really stick with it? There are a lot of negative comments on that page about the video. People saying how much of a waste of time it is, and big deal it's only $2. Your "Average Joe" will laugh at the idea, but people like us who are collectors, precious metals investors, etc, may try it out.

I'd like to know how many people try it once or twice, find nothing, then quit because they figure it's a waste of time. Basically what's the average life span of a CRHer?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, Buffalo Boy is right. I always find it funny that CRHers are so protective of everything and think we're part of some secret "club" that no one would have figured out on their own just by realizing that a 1964 and 1965 quarter look the same to the average person. Its also amusing that metal detectorists join clubs and have organized hunts and generally try to help each other out when MDing will almost never replenish itself. Once a Merc is dug, it isn't going back in the ground, however, a guy who CRHed a Merc back in the 1960s might have accidentally released it back into circulation, someone could have CRHed it in 1975 when it was dumped with the rest of his collection in 1985 when it was picked up by a collector in 1990 who's kids raided their coin collection to pay for candy in 2011 when it got shipped out to the coin carriers and rediscovered by a CRHer in 2012.

The problem is MDing takes money, while CRHing small volume takes barely any money.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this forum isn't ruining the hobby? Just look at all the greenhorn, wet behind the ears, rookie CRHers there are on here now.

I disagree on that. I can tell you EXACTLY how an avg person in 2012 learns of CrH because I just did it. Here how I found the site. 2weeks ago I caught the last 5 min of the pincher processing story on TV which lead me to google copper penny sorting where I got you tube results for the Ryedale penny sorter. Searched eBay for a used one, bought one. Then saw in the Ryedale search results on eBay a optional dime wheel for silver, which lead me to search silver sorting and automatic silver sorting. Bam, a post on this forum came up and within 24hrs I'm hooked like Pookie in New Jack City.
Now that being said It kills me that I just learned of this . You folks that have been doing this for 6 years are lucky. It's only a matter of time now before its all over. It's about to go mainstream and believe me there enough people out there unemployed or underemployed that still have capital to supplement their income CRH. I give it 12 months before it over.

Until then.....it's a mad dash baby! I will be at the bank every free second of my life until then. I gather there are over 500 banks in a 20 mile radius of me. I also drive a large route at work and can stop by banks during the day, good thing as I work a lot and would not be able to CRH otherwise.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread