🥇 BANNER Nice 1798 Large Cent, a Waterloo halfpenny, and lots of buttons

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a half-day off from work this past Friday to start the new detecting year. The year got off to a good start when I dug this 1798 Draped Bust cent at a former home site in the woods. Not a rare date, but it is in nice shape. I also dug this Waterloo half penny or token, which I thought was a Hibernia coin at first. It features a portrait of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. As I understand it, they were minted for circulation in lower Canada. It is in rough shape, but has plenty of detail left to identify it. In addition, I dug 14 buttons, Including what I think is a US Army eagle cuff button, possibly pre-Civil War. Pretty excited about this find, as this is my first button of that type. Any info would be much appreciated. Hoping for low snow totals, as I can’t wait to go back. Good luck out there.

IMG_6471.jpeg
IMG_6481.jpeg
IMG_6490.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_6505.jpeg

IMG_6521.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 59

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the LC, I see it's a Style 2

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 4.35.58 PM.png

The Wellington is in good shape-I have dug a few over the years, and your's would be most welcomed anyday.
Looks like a 8 string one leaf.
I'd be wanting to go back after a hunt like this for sure.
Great selection of buttons as well.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like those coins especially. I have a real liking for old coins. The buttons are nice too.
I found a Field Marshall Wellington button on our farm in New Brunswick. It was the first time I had heard of them and the only one I ever found. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• Field Marshall Wellington halfpenny token obv.jpg
    Field Marshall Wellington halfpenny token obv.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Field Marshall Wellington halfpenny token rev.jpg
    Field Marshall Wellington halfpenny token rev.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the LC, I see it's a Style 2

View attachment 2124854

The Wellington is in good shape-I have dug a few over the years, and your's would be most welcomed anyday.
Looks like a 8 string one leaf.
I'd be wanting to go back after a hunt like this for sure.
Great selection of buttons as well.
Thank you Pepperj for the comments and IDs. I agree with the style 2 ID on the Large Cent. I was not familiar with the different types for the Waterloo coin, as that is a new one for me, so that is also welcomed info. I am anxious to hit the site again, perhaps with a small coil, but may need to wait for some melt off. Good luck with your searches.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like those coins especially. I have a real liking for old coins. The buttons are nice too.
I found a Field Marshall Wellington button on our farm in New Brunswick. It was the first time I had heard of them and the only one I ever found. Pictures attached.
Thanks for the comments. That is a very nice button. I have never found a button with any sort of portrait, let alone a historical figure such as the Duke of Wellington. Nicely done!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a half-day off from work this past Friday to start the new detecting year. The year got off to a good start when I dug this 1798 Draped Bust cent at a former home site in the woods. Not a rare date, but it is in nice shape. I also dug this Waterloo half penny or token, which I thought was a Hibernia coin at first. It features a portrait of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. As I understand it, they were minted for circulation in lower Canada. It is in rough shape, but has plenty of detail left to identify it. In addition, I dug 14 buttons, Including what I think is a US Army eagle cuff button, possibly pre-Civil War. Pretty excited about this find, as this is my first button of that type. Any info would be much appreciated. Hoping for low snow totals, as I can’t wait to go back. Good luck out there.

View attachment 2124831 View attachment 2124832 View attachment 2124833 View attachment 2124834 View attachment 2124835

View attachment 2124839
1700’s!!! Very Cool!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2124831 View attachment 2124832 View attachment 2124833 View attachment 2124834 View attachment 2124835

View attachment 2124839
Wow. That Draped bust cent is beatiful. Congrats!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your large cent is a beauty. I love seeing coins from the earliest days of the US mint recovered.
Thanks! I feel the same way, and love seeing any U.S. coin with a 1700s date on it. High on my bucket list is 1700s U.S. silver, but that seems very hard to come by. Good luck out there.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds lenmac65! That LC is in fantastic shape. Did you do anything special in the cleaning process?
Love the Waterloo token too. I don't ever recall seeing one posted on this site before. Great start to the new year!
PS- Congrats on all those buttons. That's quite a site you have there. Well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions