Not FeelingThe Deus!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just not coming to grips with this machine like I would like.

I know I've only been using it for about three weeks, but I'm out A LOT and yes I understand one needs to put the time in (people like to use the arbitrary number of 100hrs) and yes I didn't "feel" the AT Pro at first either but this is different. I can't seem to find tones that I really care for. I find ALL the tones a little "buzzy" even on good targets. This may be due to some of my hearing loss on certain tones. But I don't think I'd hear em all as "buzzy" but I could be wrong.
I like the adjustability and the potential it has for adapting to the site being hunted & I keep forcing myself to use it in hope that it will "click" but I fear this may have been a mistake.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just not coming to grips with this machine like I would like.

I know I've only been using it for about three weeks, but I'm out A LOT and yes I understand one needs to put the time in (people like to use the arbitrary number of 100hrs) and yes I didn't "feel" the AT Pro at first either but this is different. I can't seem to find tones that I really care for. I find ALL the tones a little "buzzy" even on good targets. This may be due to some of my hearing loss on certain tones. But I don't think I'd hear em all as "buzzy" but I could be wrong.
I like the adjustability and the potential it has for adapting to the site being hunted & I keep forcing myself to use it in hope that it will "click" but I fear this may have been a mistake.
I kinda thought the same thing,but after time and learning the tones,I really like it. Plus it finds coins deep,many that I've passed over,with my other machine. I was told on another site that the tones will "grow on ya" after a while! I still can't decide if I like the high tones,or the lower tones?:dontknow:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought i heard you say something about the deus liking bottle caps ..have you found that to be the case?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottle caps for me ARE a problem. When surface testing caps in my yard, I can hear them break up most of the time but I can get coins to do the same thing sometimes too. Out in the field it's a different story. The tones on the Deus (to me) all seem a bit buzzy & choppy. There is no smoothness to it at all.
My workaround for bottle caps is checking on a low freq. Coins tend to drop in vdi while caps stay high. However...I have all but stopped cross checking and just dig anyway. Easier to just cuss afterwards than to sit and change programs, rescan target & try and analyze.

BTW Dusty, you get anything good yesterday? The only thing of interest I picked at the school was one Wheat. Dunno if Ryan cleaned up his mystery coin either.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottle caps for me ARE a problem. When surface testing caps in my yard, I can hear them break up most of the time but I can get coins to do the same thing sometimes too. Out in the field it's a different story. The tones on the Deus (to me) all seem a bit buzzy & choppy. There is no smoothness to it at all.
My workaround for bottle caps is checking on a low freq. Coins tend to drop in vdi while caps stay high. However...I have all but stopped cross checking and just dig anyway. Easier to just cuss afterwards than to sit and change programs, rescan target & try and analyze.

BTW Dusty, you get anything good yesterday? The only thing of interest I picked at the school was one Wheat. Dunno if Ryan cleaned up his mystery coin either.
It must be a difference in our hearing? I can pick a bottle cap out deep in the ground,99% of the time?:thumbsup: But I only coin hunt in 4-8 kHz too. I was back over at the neighbors last night,and he was laughing at how I could call a bottle cap,pull tab,or coin before digging them. He said dose that have a dig button that retrieves the coin!:laughing7:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So since its still new & u got more options then the average person would get in when they bought it u should b able to flip it if u come to terms that it just isnt for u, my opinion for me it has to many pro's to let go i adapt very quickley,but hey everyones different u dont like it, u dont like it, cant make urself like something, at least u can make some money get something u wanna try out or just stick with ur Atpro

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I dunno what I'm gunna do with it right now. Im still using it pretty much exclusively in the hope that it clicks. I like everything about it except the audio.:icon_scratch: It's not that I dislike the audio like I did with the E-Trac, but I just have a hard time deciphering what the audio is telling me.:BangHead: I'm relying more on the VDI and I don't want to. I much prefer to tone hunt and VDI for cross check.
If I were to get rid of it, I doubt I'd opt for another machine. I've had my fair share of higher end detectors and they all perform well. They all reach the same objective just in different ways. Some I like...some not so much.

I'm off to try some new tone settings! Wish me luck!:icon_thumright:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope not this time...i think we could use a new spot

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck out there hopefully it works out for ya, definetly cool i think u can fold it up & put it in ur saddle bag on ur bike nice

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope not this time...i think we could use a new spot
Indeed. I would have preferred to be in the lot downtown. Maybe it's worth going there tomorrow after hick fest is over!

Good luck out there hopefully it works out for ya, definetly cool i think u can fold it up & put it in ur saddle bag on ur bike nice
That right there is worth keeping it!

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great machine go to YouTube and my channel is 502petrie I have nice comparison videos

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The machine has some "sharp" tones" but I can get used to them,the way it finds coins! Man I thought the ATP was a coin hogg,this thing is crazy!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to am definetly enjoying the performance of the deus crazy how something so light & small can b as powerful or if not more then detectors in the same league, in iron infested trashy areas things a monster. Fella im really liking how it can b collapsed down to fit in a saddle bag verse having. To take the car or truck etc, although like any other detector some arent for everyone ur only gonna b happy with the hobby using something u like good luck

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,everybody likes something a little different! I wasn't crazy about the tones,but now I think the high tones "really grab your attention". It's getting easier to hunt with your ears now! Found a 1964 Jefferson quarter this morning at 7 inches!:thumbsup: SILVER!:laughing7: I can swing the Deus about twice as long,as my other detectors. Infact my sholder hasen't hurt for 3 weeks now!:thumbsup:

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was what I was worried how it sounds while in use not just over targets.All I here is great things and people seem to love them,but there not much watching them in the field and don't have a dealer that let's you try it before you buy.so might go another way.I had the atpro down pretty good in a couple of hunts.You should be able to find things right away no matter what MD your swinging,they make them that way so you can have fun while you learn them .What I usual do is dig everything till your sick of it might help you get use to the sounds quicker.From the sounds I heard it isn't a total 180 from atpro.If you have a sand pit near by, there good places to learn a machine , its easy digging lots of cans ,pt,BC,iron,clad , tons of lead plus clad and even silver. Well good luck.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't no if you seen this guy on YouTube but he does a lot of test with the deus and shows the settings .It might help ,I'm sure a lot of people seem him don't no if the test are accurate or not can't put the channel I'm on a tablet, but I you put in hobbyman deus test it will come up.hope it helps.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using the headbands?

I used my CP6 headphones for the Deus today and WOW!

I was using the headband and detected this lot and with like an hour to go before leaving I switched to the new headphones and man it was wonderful, like I never heard the Deus before......I have missed so much using them darn headbands, never again. Now I gotta go redetect all the places I took my Deus cause I am sure I missed stuff!

Jim

Only wish they adjusted, I guess I got a fat head cause I can not wear them with the band on top of my head, I gotta wear it across the back of my head......

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you using the headbands? I used my CP6 headphones for the Deus today and WOW! I was using the headband and detected this lot and with like an hour to go before leaving I switched to the new headphones and man it was wonderful, like I never heard the Deus before......I have missed so much using them darn headbands, never again. Now I gotta go redetect all the places I took my Deus cause I am sure I missed stuff! Jim Only wish they adjusted, I guess I got a fat head cause I can not wear them with the band on top of my head, I gotta wear it across the back of my head......

They do adjust, they are on wire adjustments just pull down on the earmuff if you need help let me know!! Thanks Vance 502-262-0356

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions