Now...I need to stash my cache..where?

scuba000000

Greenie
Oct 4, 2005
hey miester, where did you say you lived in wi? How many of those muskies do you have on the wall !!!!
When are you going on vacation? lol lol

O

OKIE

Well lets see since I'm a pack rat and keep every thing it would be easy for me to hide cache.
It just depends on how big it is. Don't get me wrong I do have some good ideas ;D but the 2
easyest, for a small one, would be in my junk drawer in a fire proof lock box, laugh if u want to but, no one gets into my junk drawer. ::)
If it is a large cache, I would put in a box and put in the very back and bottom of my storage unit.
Eather way I would have easy access, but if my house was broke into I would be SOL.
With my luck I won't half to worry about all of that stuff :'( :'( :'(
Thats my in put
Have fun and as always HH :o :o
Ray

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Excellent question!! I hope to find some buried treasure some day. First of all:
If you find a very valuable cache, everybody and their brother will want to know about it.
The land owner, the government, the neighbors, everybody.
So the first rule to follow is to make sure no one, that is, no one, finds out about your newfound treasure. This can be a lot harder than you might think. Most locals will try to keep one eye on a treasure hunter, just in case they find something of value. So make sure to remove your treasure in absolute secrecy. Preferably under the cover of darkness. And be as quiet as you can about it. Try to make sure that no one but yourself knows about the cache. Exciting as it may be, tell no one.
Make sure you are not spotted, or followed after removing a treasure cache. This is overkill action for just a jar of coins from an attic. But if you find a REAL big treasure, you must be most secretive. Plan in advance how and where you will go upon removing the cache.
If you have successfully removed the treasure in secrecy, the next question is, now what?
This is a bigger problem than most people might think. We all think about how exciting it would be to find a big treasure. We don't think too much about how we would handle it. Actually, keeping a large treasure can be harder than finding it in the first place! Most of you probably know about treasure recovery teams that find spanish galleons with massive treasure. All of these teams have had run-ins and long legal problems with the governments once it becomes known that they have found valuable treasure. Finding a very valuable treasure can become a real pain in the 3$@.
If you are the type that doesn't mind sharing, or even giving your treasure to the various "interested parties", then you don't have any problem. Just let the proper authorities know what you have found.
But if you want to keep most, if not all of your treasure, you can't let anyone, especially the authorities know about it.
So what would you do with it? Most important, of course, is that it be kept in a secret and secure place. (Just like the place you pulled it from!) You should not keep it at your home-too much of a temptation for robbery if anyone should suspect anything.
My first thought is to put it in a bank safe deposit box. But here in the U.S., this is a very poor action. Here in the U.S., all contents of a safe deposit box must be reported to the bank.
The banks are part of the federal reserve system, so you would be reporting your treasure to the government.
I think that one of the best things to do with real treasure is to deposit it in a Swiss bank account in a foreign country. (If you can get it there without being detected, a tall order, indeed.)
At any rate, I think you need to liquidate any large treasure. I would look into selling it on sites such as ebay. You would have to do it gradually, over time, as there are always watchdogs looking for valuable caches. Am I being too paranoid? :-)
But even if I found only a small cache, I would definitley liquidate it as soon as possible.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO: If it is only a few lousy silver or gold bars, use them as door stops. No-one would ever believe that they were valuable, just good counterfeits.

If it is a a large one, that is a potential problem that I have been working on since I face that distinct possibility. but unfortunately, I am certainly not going to discuss that in here hehehehe

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

K

Kentucky Kache

fleamistress said:
I have knowlege of a site that may well hold "treasure." The gal who owns the property is a big mouth and flaky.

The End

Cyn
So, do we all have permission? ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Massbaycolonist]
Excellent question!! I hope to find some buried treasure some day. First of all:

A) HOLA, You Have hit it exactly, how , why, and when.

This is a bigger problem then finding it many times, sigh, I know.

I have been preaching ths for years.

Yes, I have figured two fairly safe ways, however, I cannot post them for obvious reasons.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massbaycolonist said:
My first thought is to put it in a bank safe deposit box. But here in the U.S., this is a very poor action. Here in the U.S., all contents of a safe deposit box must be reported to the bank.
The banks are part of the federal reserve system, so you would be reporting your treasure to the government.

Not true. I have 4 different safety deposit boxes in 3 different states. Two of them are foot locker size large boxes. Ive never been asked what I put in them and the bank employees actually give you plenty of privacy when you are in with your box.

I also have a 4'X6' old bank safe in my home. It is lagbolted into concrete and in a dead space behind a fake wall. Even if burglars, etc were to find it, they could not take it. I guess if a profession safe cracker happened to burglarize my home id have a problem, but I suppose the dogs would deter that.

Old large bank and business safes can actually be had VERY cheap or even free a lot of times if you merely have the means to move them. It took a bulldozer to get this one here and a section of my roof had to be removed to let the crane place it in the correct location once here. I keep some things in the small fireproof lock safes within the big safe even though the big one is fire rated.

This is a question that is going to be coming up more and more in the future as the dollars value continues to decrease. More and more money is going to be put into precious metals and other tangible valuables that need to be secured.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
CAPTBUZZKILL:
I have a "buyer" who has been in business for 30+ Yrs!
He can get you the best price!
Usually an overseas buyer!
He can give you Gold So. African Kruger Rands for the treasure !
Or!
He can transfer your payment into a Swiss Bank !
Simple and very effective !
Canada, China and Mexico, Both honor Swiss Accounts .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil li
He can transfer your payment into a Swiss Bank !
Simple and very effective !
Canada, China and Mexico both honor Swiss Accounts .
A) Yeah Bill, want my account no? Deposit any and all of your ill gotten bars there. I will keep an eye on them , yeah! hehehheehh

However, do "not" declare yourself as a US citizen or they will report it to the US gov't. these days.

Attachments

• Swiss bank account ?.jpg
    Swiss bank account ?.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,349

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
You can put it in a safe deposit box at a bank. They have several sizes of boxes, depending on how big your cache is. You do not have to report the contents to the bank, at least not in the America I live in. You could also rent a storage bin at one of those public storage facilities. Whatever you do, don't re-bury the cache on public land or someone like me will find it with a Minelab Explorer.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dispose of it as soon as possible.

OK, I put this info in another post here somewhere, but here goes again;

I'll add my disclaimer at the beginning this time. I in no way endorse any aspects of this post which may be illegal. This post is intended as informational in nature only, and not intended to be taken as advice.

That said,

I read somewhere that, depending on what you find, there are different ways to make it legal. If it is gold coins, sell them on ebay or individually to different coin dealers. If ore or bullion, you immediately call the local BLM Office, and find out which areas near you are available to locate a claim. Then look to see which parts of those areas have historically produced gold. Locate a claim in that area. Take the ore to an assayer, then on to a smelter. You will have to pay taxes on it, but it is now legal. Bullion, depending on whether or not it has old assayers or smelter's markings, you may want to melt and cast it yourself into rough bars. Take it to a smelter, and have them recast it into nice shiny new bars with their marks stamped in. Now it's legal. If the bullion has old markings, you would be ruining a part of history by melting it down, and I think that would be a mistake. Your only bets then are to either find a wealthy collector, or sit on it.

Best of luck-Mike

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would burry it... right next to a tree being used as a fence post ;D

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Do not put the stuff in a bank's safe dep. box.
New rules allow the gov't to keep the contents in case of an emergency.
And you never know when an emergency might come up in this crazy world we are living in.... ???

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Uncle bought gold coins and hid them somewhere. My Aunt always thought he would outlive her. My Uncle passed away quickly. She doesn't know where the gold is hidden or buried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread