Oh Baby, what a day!!! 1826 Bust Half!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Hi everyone!! Haven't had much time recently to get onto the net with work being pretty busy. Hopefully things will slow up a bit now. Got out to a field that Rick and I found when he was out here last week on our spring hunt. (will make a separate post with the finds) I found the best coin I have every found, an 1826 Bust half dollar in pristine condition. Also the major part of a volunteer militia Cap insignia from 1840-1850. I looked for over an hour for the rest of it, but no luck. Am going back though. My friend Dave who was with me came up with two large coppers, an 1851 and an 1834. This field is one of the best we have come across. Just have to wait for them to cut it. Grass is almost 18 inches high and makes you tired real quick. Thanks for looking....Lance

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 2008 065.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 065.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4,624
  • Metal Detecting 2008 066.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 066.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4,590
  • Metal Detecting 2008 056.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 056.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,557
  • Metal Detecting 2008 051.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 051.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4,555
  • Metal Detecting 2008 064.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 064.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 4,543
  • Metal Detecting 2008 063.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 063.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 4,539
Upvote 0
OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Thank you everyone. I will try to answer some of the questions. I use a DFX with an Excelerator DD (14 inch elliptical) coil (absolutely love the coil). I'm not sure what the field used to be, although the field across the dirt road gave us coins going back into the 1700's. There are many buttons in the field, (Found eleven the first day, all late 17 early 1800's. Most of the finds come from a large hill in the field. I am thinking that it may have been used for some meetings of some type. There are rumors that it was a militia field, but with only one military find, I can not confirm that story yet, and my research does not indicate that to be true. Finally got approval to detect this field just a week ago. The half was at 8 inches and rang out loud and clear. I can't post the words that came from my mouth when I saw what was in my hand, but I am sure you can imagine. It was a little stronger than OH MY GOODNESS. My hands were shaking for over an hour, and I kept taking it out and looking at it. Had to take it back to the car to make sure I didn't lose it. I wish all of you the same excitement and feelings. If you keep going for it, you will. Here's a picture as it came from the ground before I (very carefully) washed the dirt off. Thanks again..Lance

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 2008 052.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2008 052.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 3,052

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow, that is one smoking find. That will pay for a few gallons of gas. How about putting on a clinic on how to stay calm after that killer find. WTG ...Banner all the way. Congrats on that dig. ;D ;D ;D jgas

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Beautiful condition! Looks like it was just dropped yesterday.
Mike

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a great old half. i never even seen one at coin shows that nice . will be worth quite a few dollars . great job and real cool find .

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i'll never make the banner here either....i'll come up with 2 commercial 48 in' mowers, and take care of the grass... to tect the weekend with ya... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Tesoro Silver Umax
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav::wav:

Attachments

• th_awesome.jpg
    th_awesome.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,784
  • th_awesome.jpg
    th_awesome.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,784

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comfyinvermont said:
Thank you everyone. I will try to answer some of the questions. I use a DFX with an Excelerator DD (14 inch elliptical) coil (absolutely love the coil). I'm not sure what the field used to be, although the field across the dirt road gave us coins going back into the 1700's. There are many buttons in the field, (Found eleven the first day, all late 17 early 1800's. Most of the finds come from a large hill in the field. I am thinking that it may have been used for some meetings of some type. There are rumors that it was a militia field, but with only one military find, I can not confirm that story yet, and my research does not indicate that to be true. Finally got approval to detect this field just a week ago. The half was at 8 inches and rang out loud and clear. I can't post the words that came from my mouth when I saw what was in my hand, but I am sure you can imagine. It was a little stronger than OH MY GOODNESS. My hands were shaking for over an hour, and I kept taking it out and looking at it. Had to take it back to the car to make sure I didn't lose it. I wish all of you the same excitement and feelings. If you keep going for it, you will. Here's a picture as it came from the ground before I (very carefully) washed the dirt off. Thanks again..Lance
After reading this I remember why i got started MDing. FANTASTIC find...aa

dugdigger

Mar 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & fisher 1265
wow wow wow that is an awsome find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_king: :o :o :o :o you rock

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breathtaking coin!! It has been a long while since I have seen a coin that nice. Great piece of history! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Comfy....Just awesome,that's it.....

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congrats on your banner shot, Mr. Comfort! I, as well as others here, are glad to have you back in full post mode! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FANTASTIC find!!!! :thumbsup: Congrats on both finding it and making the banner!!!! A silver bust is on my wish list to find...would be thrilled with a dime but a half would be awesome...nice job on the half and some other nice finds there as well!!! Hit that field hard, looks like it is gonna be an awesome spot....and all those finds with the grass 18 inches high, should be sweet when it is cut...good luck and hope you find alot more goodies there!!! :thumbsup:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got that right on Oh Baby, What a Day!!! That is one of the best dug Busted Coins I have ever seen. Congratulations!!

All your finds were great. Also thanks for the Great pictures.

HH, Ringfinder

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Captn_SE said:
I'm looking at that coin and can't believe my eyes!! :o

Best coin I have ever seen dug out of the ground!! It looks like it was kept in some sealed container all these years.
You other finds are very cool too, but I can't stop looking at your Half!

Awesome Find!! A $1000 coin. Need to get it slabbed and graded

Could'nt have said it any better

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions