Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jeff-gordon

crap why does this keep happening?

It's ok Jeff-Gordon, T Net likes you TWICE as much, just their way of showing it! It happens to me, if goes back to the post bar just delete the second post. Idk why it happens sometimes.

I think he's trying to catch me in post count :thumbsup:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would try to use the corpse as one side of a dam to channel the flow into my sluice........

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been very reluctant to answer this thread for reasons which will become obvious. But first, let's not get too laughable about finding dead bodies. It is serious business, especially when the dump site is fairly new, and odorous. And if you do find a body, don't touch anything! Leave it as it is, and call the authorities post haste!

It has been many years ago, but I did find a person's remains (a euphemism for a dead body). Fortunately for me, the site was about a year old. Yet, the odor was unmistakable! (I know the smell well, but that story is for another time and place). Whomever dumped the body, took the time to bury it deep enough, that passersby didn't seem to notice, even though I can't imagine someone not noticing the odor. The reason the detector went off was caused by an ankle bracelet. The first shovel scoop was all it took, and the olfactory memory of a dead body came streaming back! There was never an identification of the body as far as I know.

Why this needs to be openly discussed, is summed up here:Missing Persons Statistics and Facts. It is scary, actually, how many people just disappear every day. Some disappearances are planned for a variety of reasons, but the vast majority are due to abductions resulting in homicides. It is, I believe, a sign of the times, and one which seems to be increasing in nature.

I don't wish any ill will on anyone, but finding a dead body isn't a laughable scenario!

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been very reluctant to answer this thread for reasons which will become obvious. But first, let's not get too laughable about finding dead bodies. It is serious business, especially when the dump site is fairly new, and odorous. And if you do find a body, don't touch anything! Leave it as it is, and call the authorities post haste!

It has been many years ago, but I did find a person's remains (a euphemism for a dead body). Fortunately for me, the site was about a year old. Yet, the odor was unmistakable! (I know the smell well, but that story is for another time and place). Whomever dumped the body, took the time to bury it deep enough, that passersby didn't seem to notice, even though I can't imagine someone not noticing the odor. The reason the detector went off was caused by an ankle bracelet. The first shovel scoop was all it took, and the olfactory memory of a dead body came streaming back! There was never an identification of the body as far as I know.

Why this needs to be openly discussed, is summed up here:Missing Persons Statistics and Facts. It is scary, actually, how many people just disappear every day. Some disappearances are planned for a variety of reasons, but the vast majority are due to abductions resulting in homicides. It is, I believe, a sign of the times, and one which seems to be increasing in nature.

I don't wish any ill will one anyone, but finding a dead body isn't a laughable scenario!

Your right and I can't imagine doing it myself... I did make humor of it earlier because I had never dealt with it... along with my warped sense of humor at times and I apologize if I offended anyone. Sorry

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just glad I didn't find the rest of the body that was attached to these!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 8.11.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 8.11.41 PM.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 76

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that's Bill actually. Kirk has more hair. And yes I picked a name for him. Would have been rude to forego introductions.
Named him Eddy because he was caught in one swirling round and round I would guess.LOL

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, what if you find a dead spotted owl, or perhaps even a wolf. Would you keep the radio collar?
I'll deal with the cops before I'll deal with the E.P.A. I would bury the owl then they would classify it as the extremely endangered spotted burrowing owl and the wolf would be in his final den.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is absolutely the truth. I personally know of two cases when bodies were discovered, and they did the right thing and called the police. One fellow was driving a log truck and found the body of a woman that had been missing for a long time, she was in the log pond close to her home. The trucker had off loaded and was loading his log trailer, and the trailer loader was next to the pond. Log ponds are nasty, they aren't pretty little lakes, the are full of bark and gungy, and she was floating under water, so the first thing he noticed was a gold chain around her neck, and he had to do a closer look, then when he saw her hair and some of her body, he called it in, and when the police arrived, he was arrested for murder and had a lot of problems with the police over a period of time lasting weeks. Her boy friend had killed her, and dumped her body, but until they could prove who did it, he was the prime suspect. I was loading his truck later and asked him about it, and he said he'd never call again if he found another body. The second one was at night, a body was dumped out of a car on a freeway off ramp, and the next guy behind them saw the the bad guys racing away, and as he approached the spot, he saw the body in the grass. Same deal, guilty until proven innocent. That said, I'd probably still go ahead and report it, simply because it's the right thing to do. I'd probably get mouthy with the police if they pulled that guilty until innocent stuff on me though. If the body was found washed up on the beach or floating in the ocean or river, I haven't heard of people being hassled in that case.

Anonymous tip on a pay phone enough said..

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who would seriously loot a corpse is a mentally ill, catastrophically anti-social nitwit who belongs in a high security institution of some kind. If you aren't there yet, just give it time. You will be. As far as reticence to 'get involved', that's a bit more understandable. There's at least some basis in reason for people to not want to entangle their lives with the investigation of a homicide, however I still think it takes a certain sort of a**hole to see a dead body and not report it. I can comprehend the reasoning for it but its a pretty crappy thing to do.

See my luck it'd end up being a unsolved case and they'd point to me then I'd go to prison then 20 years later they'd release me and say we are sorry we had the wrong person. So I'd still go with the anonymous tip by phone or give them a GPS location via email of course it'd be a dummy account behind a VPN.

L

l2hunt

Now there's a question I've never read on the forum ahahaahah Don't have an answer but I'll keep watching this thread HH

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is going to go on for a long time. Thanks to sandman getting cabin fever. Lol I hope ya can do some beach detecting this year sandman.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about zombies, are they morally allowed? If you encounter zombies in the woods during metal detecting and they are big pimpin with fat ropes and medallions could you take them and still sleep at night?

Really... is she going to need those pearls?

zombie-audrey-hepburn-make-up-1.jpeg

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I will be needing my pearls!

Well I will be needing my flesh and zombies don't seem to have any problems with trying to eat people. So, if you don't try and bite me you can keep the pearls but the first sign of teeth those pearls are mine.

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80's, I had permission to hunt some old orange groves where I had been finding military artifacts fromm the Second Seminole War time period (1835-1842). Me and my buddy checked in with the property owner at about 8:00 am on a Sunday morning to do some hunting. While hunting the grove, I got a "strange" feeling to go check around a large tree. When I got there, I found a body of a woman partially dressed, with her hands bound. I immediately went to the property owner, and he called the law. Since me and my buddy were the ones that found the body, we were the only suspects for a while. We were questioned by many different detectives seperately for a number of hours. We then had to take our shoes off, and have photos taken with us holding our shoes showing the sole patterns. This went one for many hours before we were finally released.

Come to find out, the woman we found was the victim of a local serial killer, and she had just been murdered and dumped there about an hour or 2 before our arrival. Because of us finding here, and she being so "fresh", the Police were able to recover a lot of evidence, which helped them find the killer and put him away for good. If I had it to do over again, I would have done the same thing.

If you find a body, NEVER touch anything, do NOT get too close (if you know this person is deceased) and call the law. After all, if this victim were your brother, sister, mother or father, or even a close friend, wouldn't you want the killer to be found and brought to justice?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've come across several floaters working on ships in NY Harbor. But they were so bloated, disgusting, and stinky that I wouldn't have robbed them for 10 lbs of gold (if they somehow could still float). Actually the only thoughts floaters ever gave me were those of mortality, and I never hesitated to call in the NYPD harbor unit.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I am actively looking for a dead body, one from the War of 1812 and I hope I will find him. When I do, I going mark it and pay tribute to a fellow fallen soldier. After I call the ME.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread