Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OKIE's

Thank you Nature Girl, and yeah that was bad about JW getting killed off. Post us some pictures of those boys names that you found on here. I like to study the writing styles of different eras. As to the ropes, sometimes the lariats were braided leather, and they would be in a tight coil. These were just everyday old ropes you might need to use, nothing special. The thing that finally got me about this picture is, I knew and talked to every one of these boys while they were alive. (Except for cousin Luther) That's an oooollllllddd picture. Maybe I'm getting old. I'll try to 'get mah pitchur tooken a horseback' this summer. For posterity.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty, the schools would let out for pulling cotton in the fall in western Oklahoma. ( After the first good frost) They quit that when I started school. Praise the Lord!! I still had to work in the fields anyway. I wanted to point out that in that picture I posted, my grandpa Walter Ginn, on the horse on the far right, could neither read nor write. I saw him sign his name with an X many times. I named that boy of mine after him. Grandpa Ginn would be tickled to see all the things his grandkids and greatgrandkids have done. (Well except for some of the things I pulled off, but Jesus will understand) And although they had no concept of it, Grandpa and all them other boys would be pretty tickled to see their pictures on the internet.

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RGINN,

That young feller on the white horse has a rather serious look about him. Looks like he's gettin' ready to hop down off his mount and open up a can on sombody. Wouldn't wanna be the person on the receiving end of that stare.

In the olden days you would hear the phrase: "sign yer name or make yer mark". Those who signed with an X usually had to have someone with some larnin' sign their name as a witness next to the X.

Grandpa was about 14 and Uncle Joe was 17. About 3 years later their dad was shot and killed on Christmas Eve.

Hard to let a statement like that just lay down without asking for some details.

Monty, I'm guessing with that new Safari of yours there's not a piece of silver left to be found anywhere around the Tulsa area?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had and uncle who could not read or write. He would bring his income tax to me to do for him every year. It was simple, just standard deductions so I could handle it. Then he would sign his name with the prettiest handwriting you ever saw, but his name was all he ever learned to write.

If there is any silver to be found in Tulsa it has eluded me! Just bottle caps and pulltabs. ::) Monty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sharpshooter, that's uncle Homer. He was pretty mild mannered. The ones you had to watch was Uncle Joe on the far left and Grandpa Walt on the far right. Cousin Luther, second from left, was a man of mystery for several years and is probably grateful for that statute of limitations thing. I told that story about their dad in another post, but just briefly, my great-grandpa Lee Roy was a JP in McComb OK in 1904. There was some bad blood between him and the local constable and his deputy, Wesley Yandells and Benjamin Mitchell. One day they got a county deputy to go with them to dis-arm Lee Roy, whom they believed was carrying. They asked him if he had a gun and he said he did, and like a fool he pulled it out. Yandells and Mitchell opened up. Uncle Joe was there and went to help his dad, but they told him to get back or he'd get the same thing. The county lawman arrested Yandells and he got 8 years for 1st degree manslaughter. After this area became a state, he appealed, challenging the authority of the grand jury. He also felt greatly in fear for his life when Lee Roy produced the gun, given Lee Roy's reputation. (? I don't know) Mitchell fled the scene. Uncle Joe and 'others unknown' saddled up in pursuit, but returned and said they never found him. The general belief is that they found Mitchell and killed him, but nobody dared press the issue with them. I haven't heard anything of Mitchell since. I knew all these guys after they found Jesus. They were harmless old men, but every so often you would see a spark that would let you know they were somebody to be reckoned with in the old days. My only regret is that they never would talk much about the early days in the Choctaw Nation. We'd have some pretty cool stories now.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Rginn, I will post pics of the names as soon as the turkey hunters have done thier thing. The bluff is on a hunting lease, and I don't want to disturb them. There is a second bluff on this property with some different names, Tannahill, and a really cool colt 44 chisled into the stone. It's about 4 ft long, and the chiseling must have taken quite awhile. Also, is a real cave! not just a couple of boulders fallen against each other. We have a MD on the way,(shipped today) and as I said, as soon as the Turkey hunters are through, I'll be back out there for pics. The style used to carve the names is neat, the Dawsons are dated 1907, and the Tannahills 1911-1920? will post as soon as I can

ng

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RGINN, I noticed in one of your family photo's, a lady named Bates, we may be 'long lost relatives', I had Bate's relatives who lived in AR,
one was in the Civil war, fought at Kennasaw MT, wounded, captured three times, signed the pledge, (not to bear arms against the U.S.), then promptly went back to fight some more. ;D

Fossis................

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

Hey, I'm new to this forum. Mostly surface search along rivers and creeks with my huntin bud in Osage Co. and surrounding areas. I have also recently become interested in MDing and will be trying my hand/arm at it...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

buckshot said:
Hey, I'm new to this forum. Mostly surface search along rivers and creeks with my huntin bud in Osage Co. and surrounding areas. I have also recently become interested in MDing and will be trying my hand/arm at it...

Welcome buckshot! Glad to have you aboard. Looks like you have your work cut out for you, surface hunting in Osage Co. can take a lifetime, detecting it can take a little longer. :wink: LOL

Shott1970

Dec 12, 2007
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Shott1970 here in OKC, I enjoy metal detecting and researching old legends, and sometimes I even get to go try to hunt some leads down. I'm also about to get certified in SCUBA diving.

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008

Hello fellow OKIE's

North Centreal, Ponca City
Mostly hunt arrowheads, I have lived in Kay County my entire life and know the area well.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

sidmind said:
Hello fellow OKIE's

North Centreal, Ponca City
Mostly hunt arrowheads, I have lived in Kay County my entire life and know the area well.

Hello there,

We probably know each other then. ;D

TW

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250

Atoka area: Fair weather hunter cause can't take the heat or extreme cold. Lived here about 18 years so big learning curve on leads and getting permission. Back in the 70's I had an old Garrett and lived in Mississippi. 25 yr hiatus and i bought a Prizm IV (wish I had my money back on that one) which I still have. Trying to get serious about it again and have a slightly used MXT coming this week. Thinking about an Ace 250 for a backup.

I'm not one to hunt places infested by undergrowth, lots of trees, etc. cause not as young as use to be but I like coin shooting in the usual places like parks, schools, churches, old houses. Lots of trash here and I hope to learn the MXT well enough to take advantage of some older places.

Someone mentioned plowed fields. The old town of Buchanan which became Cleburne, TX was in basically my Mother-in-laws back yard. There was an old guy that hunted that site all the time and must have found a lot of neat stuff....never got to talk to him. But he gave her and her husband a 8x11 shadowbox with a lot of buttons, rimfire shell cases, musket/pistol balls, and a seated quarter. That was what got me interested again but dang! Digging in that blackland gumbo is for the birds!

Forgot to add that to date I've found a bunch of clad and one merc dime during what time I've really hunted. My biggest find to date is froma a yardsale in Norman (yeah, my daughters an OU grad :'()....a near mint 1st edition of Wilson's "Oklahoma's Treasure and Treasure Tales".

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma

Howdy all. I live in Lawton and hunt arrowheads, relics and marbles. Not having to much luck around here but that leads to the anticipation for the next hunt. Thanks for all of the advice.

Tim

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO

I live in Pryor. I am ready to coinshoot, relic hunt, bottle dig or whatever, just send me a message or email!

Jeremy Willis
[email protected]

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I live in Rufe,Okla into looking for coins and dowsing for the Big one's. :thumbsup:

proberod

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
central Ok.
Detector(s) used
Whites/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello2:
Hi , all and to you timberwolf lust to let ya know I live on N.E. Grady
for 60 yr's and been thing for 40 like to meet all that are into this would like to meet a dowser.

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm a new member here. Living in the Mcloud area.
I spend my spare time hunting for coins, jewelry and relics.

David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread