Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: OKIE's

Hey Okie Ray and all y'all. Thanks for starting up this post. I miss Oklahoma but I've been up here in Colorado for 5 years. I might just stay here except for vacation and when I die. Here's my wife Maria Candelaria Avina-Meza from Torreon, Coahuila, Mex. This was her first visit ever to Oklahoma. She's happy and smiling because this was about 3 days before she got up close to a western diamondback down in the Wichitas!

Attachments

• maria ok 2.JPG
    maria ok 2.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 660

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone really trashed that welcome sign! That's the one thing I don't like about Oklahoma. They don't keep up their signs, etc. And worse of all, travel in Oklahoma has to be by turnpike in nearly every direction, yet there's no bathrooms on the pikes! Instead they have picnic areas. Now who gets on a toll road to have a picnic?I saw a bumper sticker that said,"Oklahoma turnpikes, where youi pee behind a tree"! And another stupid thing the highway department does is put up signs that says, "Damaged guard rail ahead". Who cares? Do you really think someone driving down the road sees one of those signs and thinks to himself, "Dang, I was gonna' run off the road and hit the guard rail, but the one coming up is damaged"! Makes me think all the OKies didn't migrate to California!
M ::) nty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Picnic areas are too far between. Trooper pulled up behind me once to check on my being pulled over. Said looks like vehicle is losing fluid, said nope-just me. :D No trees. :wink:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're right about the pullover area Monty. It's the one just north of Boise City. You can see some trash in the pic and I took some more photos of the rest of the trash and sent them to the Governor's Ofc. I never heard anything back. We picked up quite a bit of it, but their trash cans were full already. I run into a lot of folks up here who think I'm ignorant because I'm from Oklahoma, and I have to be either a cowboy or an Indian. And I hear a whole bunch about the lack of restroom facilities. I tell them I wasn't really in charge of that but my cousin is, and I'll pass it on. (They also think we all know each other!) In all fairness, the next time we came through that area was cleaned up and lookin nice.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've sent the director of ODOT 3 or 4 emails asking why they put those stupid damaged guard rail signs up and have never got an answer. I saw a couple of workers putting one up and stopped to ask them why they put them up. They just shrugged and said they didn't know, they have just always done it. At least if you drive through Oklahoma you will know where not to run off the road. :D Silliest thing I ever heard of. Monty

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry I put in a word that got deleted. I thought I used the word ignorant, but maybe not. Those damaged guard rail signs are put up for liability purposes. Somebody sued the state because the guardrail was damaged and it didn't stop them from running off the road so the state is liable for not informing them of that. Troopers stop and check you when you're pulled over because if they don't, there will be that one person who will call in and complain that they needed help and a trooper just zipped on by them. Don't worry about getting sued, worry about what you're gonna do when you get sued. I like this area of Oklahoma because of the treasure stories around Sugar Loaf Peak. 2late2dig said it was found, and I wish he would elaborate a little more. Cowboy up, y'all!

Attachments

• ldg2.JPG
    ldg2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 587

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just one more time, the deleted word was ignor ant. I don't want the kids to think I'm foul-mouthed on here.

RandynFla

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
FL
Detector(s) used
I currently have a Whites xlt, Fisher CZ20, Minelab explorer se, Garrett infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okie here from Claremore, now in Florida. Grandparents are from Holdenville.

openrafterR

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2009
Western Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Another new okie, west central out by weatherford.trying to hunt anything when not working. lots of
indian wars relics to be found out here.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

Openrafter,
Do you get over by Clinton? I have a pretty reliable place or two with regards to lithic (stone) artifacts. Are you into stone artifacts and points? Give a shout sometime.
docmann

openrafterR

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2009
Western Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

docmann,
i do like to look for points, have some my self found on S.canidian north of w'ford. trying to get on some old homesteds , after the land run there was just about one on every 1/4 of a section

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.

I'm going to have my third annual get together. I'm taking suggestions for a date and a place. I've got a few interesting items to show again this year and everyone is welcome to bring their own items as well. You can e-mail me at [email protected] RGINN maybe I can get the guy who found the sugarloaf peak treasure to come down and elaborate on it.

http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Osage county here. I can't get enough of this countryside. I'm trying to get to know every cliff, creek and backroad. The diversity is so enticing, from the crosstimbers up to the Kansas line. I mainly hunt arrowheads, but Am likly to drag anything home I can carry. Or get someone else to carry for me. Why are all the really cool fossils in such big rocks so far away from the truck? My hunting buddy is looking into an MD since we discovered this site.

naturegirl

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

naturegirl said:
Osage county here. I can't get enough of this countryside. I'm trying to get to know every cliff, creek and backroad. The diversity is so enticing, from the crosstimbers up to the Kansas line. I mainly hunt arrowheads, but Am likly to drag anything home I can carry. Or get someone else to carry for me. Why are all the really cool fossils in such big rocks so far away from the truck? My hunting buddy is looking into an MD since we discovered this site.

naturegirl

Welcome naturegirl,

Kay county here.
You will have to post some pics of your finds, so we can enjoy them. ;D
With this snow coming down....it may be a few days before you can get very far from your truck!
Take care,

Timberwolf

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Soon to be Okies, like it or not. Taken in the Choctaw Nation in 1901. My grandpa Walt is on the far right. The rest are his brothers, except for cousin Luther Delany Ginn second from left. I always thought Uncle Joe on the far left was a snappy dresser in all his photos. I don't know what the event was that day, but something was going on. Any observation y'all have on the photo will be appreciated. Grandpa was about 14 and Uncle Joe was 17. About 3 years later their dad was shot and killed on Christmas Eve. It's a cool pic to me and I just got it from my cousin. At the time the photo was taken they had never heard the word 'Okie' and later on considered themselves Americans ahead of being Oklahomans, but I put them here anyway. They'd be tickled.

Attachments

• treasurenet.JPG
    treasurenet.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 493
  • treasurenet.JPG
    treasurenet.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 496

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

Reginn,

Cool photo! :thumbsup:
Thanks,

TW

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't you know it was fun as a kid to mount up with your buddies and go riding out across the plains or through the brush and playing cowboys and Indians for real? Those would have been good times if you didn't have to work from daylight to dark just to eke out a living. The reason schools have summer breaks is so the kids could help with harvesting the crops. Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Was looking at the pic and noticed the ropes hanging on the saddles. They seem to be longer and not as stiff as the lariat's I'm familiar with. ??? The pic also kind of reminds me of the movie "The Cowboys"-with the young guys getting ready to head out from home for the cattle drive.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

rginn, I love that picture. It does remind one of "The cowboys" my favorite movie, except for John Wayne getting killed. Some things are just wrong. I found a place where some boys carved thier names all over a sandstone bluff in January 1908, just a few months after statehood. There were three and all had the same last name, so I'm guessing they were brothers. These guys must look close to the dawson boys on my rock. Thanks for the pic.

naturegirl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread